Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Access to Squeeze Network from PC

I posted this in the beginner section, but then saw this area, so sorry for the double post.

----------------

I control my sqeezebox3 from a browser. I don't see anyway to get access to squeeze network through the browser and play through my squeezebox. The only place I can access is directly from the player. Am I missing something?

I want access to it all via a browser, but my current issue is access to the nature sounds section... made the mistake of showing that to my wife suddenly that's a must have on the web browser.

Thanks,
    -Zinfari

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Access to Squeeze Network from PC

I understand there is a web page on the Internet, but it's my understanding that in order for this to work you would need to open up firewall ports, do some port forwarding and a few other things. This seems overly complicated if that is the solution as well as a security concern.

I assumed I could use a browser connected to my slimserver to make my player initiate the conversation to squeeze network just like I do for Internet radio thus avoiding most of the security issues.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    -Zinfari

It also seems like an one or the other situation. So if I sign on to Squeeze Network then that is effectively my slim server so I lose all control of my SB3 via the browser and ONLY have access to the Squeeze network.

Most of my listening will be to my collection, but I would like to be able to connect to the SN on occassion just like I would to Internet radio to expand my options. But I need to be able to do all of this via a browser for my setup to work as intended.

Hope that clarifies things.
    -Zinfari

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Re: Access to Squeeze Network fromPC

On 16-Nov-05, at 7:16 PM, Zinfari wrote:
    >
    > I assumed I could use a browser connected to my slimserver to make my
    > player initiate the conversation to squeeze network just like I do for
    > Internet radio thus avoiding most of the security issues.
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >

not, not a function like that. at least, at this time.
    There is an open request to have the player connect automatically to
    squeezenetwork when the server is offline. Perhaps a feature such as
    this could be an extension of that.

-kdf

Ok thanks for the info It would be nice if you could initiate the connection through the slimserver. Having the player have to conenct to one or the other seems limiting to me. I understand it to an extent, but why not just make them both available? I know it would be nice to be able to control the system from the Internet without a dedicated computer for the slim server. But for those of us who do use a dedicated server we could access SN just like another source of streaming content like Internet radio stations that would be ideal for me anyway.

My background is from audiotrons and turtle radio. They use a similar setup where you had a device ID and that gave you access to turtle radio and you could configure that, add and delete your stations, etc there. I figured SN worked the same way. If you had your computer on line.. you could pick from either, if not then only the Internet options were available.

The web control was built into the device so you would connect directly to that so web access didn't depend on a dedicated computer (it was kind of slow though).

Don't get me wrong so far I really like my SB3, but I've only had it 1 day :-) so I'm trying to figure it all out.

Thanks,
    -Zinfari

One thing I'm not sure of is why you want access to both. The purpose of SN is to allow people to stream internet radio without having to run their own server. If you are running your own server - why do you need SN? I have never needed it...

Additional content. As an example my wife really likse the nature sounds selection in SN. That's not something we have in our collection. I'd just like to be able to get access to that.

-Zinfari

Ahh - gotcha. So maybe SD should include the nature sounds in the slimserver distribution?

That or make those streams available via internet radio.

-Zinfari