Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43

    Prepurchase Q: Server PC's network connection

    I have a home wireless network already set up, but the only computer connected via ethernet cable to the router is my work computer, which is usually on a VPN and then doesn't recognize devices on the home network.

    So, is it a really bad idea to use a wireless-connected computer as the server? I'm worried about wireless bandwidth.

    If it is a bad idea but might work, would music storage on a NAS plugged into the router make things better or worse?

    Thanks,
    RR

  2. #2
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Prepurchase Q: Server PC's networkconnection

    RuefulR wrote:
    > I have a home wireless network already set up, but the only computer
    > connected via ethernet cable to the router is my work computer, which
    > is usually on a VPN and then doesn't recognize devices on the home
    > network.
    >
    > So, is it a really bad idea to use a wireless-connected computer as the
    > server? I'm worried about wireless bandwidth.


    Well, a wireless server would involve transferring the audio twice over
    the wireless lan:

    Server ----- WAP ----- SB

    This may or may not be a problem depending on your wireless network
    performance.

    Is this an SB1 or SB2? The SB2 does 11g which has higher bandwidth
    (54Mb/s vs. 11Mb/s for 11b - these are theoretical maximums!). Often, an
    11b device (e.g. the SB1) connected to an 11g network will reduce the
    performance of *all* devices to 11b levels.

    > If it is a bad idea but might work, would music storage on a NAS
    > plugged into the router make things better or worse?


    A directly connected server (normal PC or NAS device) would reduce
    wireless bandwidth requirements.

    R.
    --
    http://robinbowes.com

    If a man speaks in a forest,
    and his wife's not there,
    is he still wrong?


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    152
    What is your wireless? 802.11g (= theoretical 54Mbps total bandwidth)? How far will your SB2 be from your wireless router (i.e what is the actual signal strength/bandwidth you are likely to get to the SB2)? One way to find this is if you have a wireless laptop then sit it as the location where you plan to site your SB2 and look at what signal strength and bandwidth it reports. Failing this then how far will the SB2 be from the wireless router and how many walls/floors will be in the way?

    Finally, how are you planning to encode your music collection (FLAC? MP3? If MP3 then what bitrate?).

    In general I would say it would be very unlikely that you will have any problems but we really need answers to the questions above to give you better reassurance than general platitudes.

    - Julian.

  4. #4
    Senior Member max.spicer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,661
    My server is wireless, so is my SB2. I have an 11G network and everything works just fine. I've _never_ experienced a drop out on my SB2.

    I'm using a Linksys WAG354G with a Belkin wireless card in the server (don't know which one anymore). Everything is standard G - no 3rd party enhancements. My signal strength at the server is generally around 80%. My SB2 is actually next to the router, but I used wireless anyway as it meant one less cable to worry about. All my music is in FLAC format. If you've got a setup a bit like this one, you shouldn't need to worry.

    Max

    Quote Originally Posted by RuefulR
    I have a home wireless network already set up, but the only computer connected via ethernet cable to the router is my work computer, which is usually on a VPN and then doesn't recognize devices on the home network.

    So, is it a really bad idea to use a wireless-connected computer as the server? I'm worried about wireless bandwidth.

    If it is a bad idea but might work, would music storage on a NAS plugged into the router make things better or worse?

    Thanks,
    RR
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43
    Thanks for replies everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by JulianL
    What is your wireless? 802.11g (= theoretical 54Mbps total bandwidth)? How far will your SB2 be from your wireless router (i.e what is the actual signal strength/bandwidth you are likely to get to the SB2)?
    Finally, how are you planning to encode your music collection (FLAC? MP3? If MP3 then what bitrate?)....

    - Julian.
    The wireless network is 802.11g (D-Link). The PC that would be server is located upstairs while the router is downstairs, but the SB2 would be in the next room from the router. May be 7-8m away.

    I just checked on the would-be server PC, and it's showing a "speed" (=bandwidth?) of 48.0 Mbps.

    I'm using FLAC to encode my music.

    RR

  6. #6
    Senior Member max.spicer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,661
    I'd say it will work perfectly. However, before you buy an SB2, make sure that there are no outstanding issues with your wireless network - it will make it much easier to work out what's what if you do have problems with the SB2.

    Max

    Quote Originally Posted by RuefulR
    Thanks for replies everyone.



    The wireless network is 802.11g (D-Link). The PC that would be server is located upstairs while the router is downstairs, but the SB2 would be in the next room from the router. May be 7-8m away.

    I just checked on the would-be server PC, and it's showing a "speed" (=bandwidth?) of 48.0 Mbps.

    I'm using FLAC to encode my music.

    RR
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43
    I'll test out the network with the full rigour of which I am capable. That won't take long!

    RR

    Quote Originally Posted by max.spicer
    I'd say it will work perfectly. However, before you buy an SB2, make sure that there are no outstanding issues with your wireless network - it will make it much easier to work out what's what if you do have problems with the SB2.

    Max

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bowes
    RuefulR wrote:
    > I have a home wireless network already set up, but the only computer
    > connected via ethernet cable to the router is my work computer, which
    > is usually on a VPN and then doesn't recognize devices on the home
    > network.
    >
    > So, is it a really bad idea to use a wireless-connected computer as the
    > server? I'm worried about wireless bandwidth.


    Well, a wireless server would involve transferring the audio twice over
    the wireless lan:

    Server ----- WAP ----- SB

    This may or may not be a problem depending on your wireless network
    performance.

    Is this an SB1 or SB2? The SB2 does 11g which has higher bandwidth
    (54Mb/s vs. 11Mb/s for 11b - these are theoretical maximums!). Often, an
    11b device (e.g. the SB1) connected to an 11g network will reduce the
    performance of *all* devices to 11b levels.

    > If it is a bad idea but might work, would music storage on a NAS
    > plugged into the router make things better or worse?


    A directly connected server (normal PC or NAS device) would reduce
    wireless bandwidth requirements.

    R.
    --
    Is that assuming that slimserver is actually running on the NAS? If I just use the NAS as purely a storage device, with slimserver running on the PC, then do I end up with something nasty like:

    NAS-WAP-----PC-----WAP----SB2 ?

    RR

  9. #9
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Prepurchase Q: Server PC's networkconnection

    RuefulR wrote:
    > Is that assuming that slimserver is actually running on the NAS? If I
    > just use the NAS as purely a storage device, with slimserver running on
    > the PC, then do I end up with something nasty like:
    >
    > NAS-WAP-----PC-----WAP----SB2 ?


    Ah yes, it would.

    Assuming your network is like this:

    NAS --- Wireless

    Slimserver --- Wireless

    Squeezebox --- Wireless

    Then any audio streamed to the SB has to be transferred wirelessly three
    times as three devices are talking to the WAP.

    This may well work OK, but it increases your chances of having problems.

    R.
    --
    http://robinbowes.com

    If a man speaks in a forest,
    and his wife's not there,
    is he still wrong?


  10. #10
    Senior Member ceejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bowes

    Then any audio streamed to the SB has to be transferred wirelessly three
    times as three devices are talking to the WAP.

    This may well work OK, but it increases your chances of having problems.
    Or is that four times?

    (1) Data from NAS to WAP
    (2) From WAP to Slimserver
    (3) Slimserver to WAP
    (4) WAP to SB2

    Ceejay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •