Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Pandora.com and website audio?

I'm very curious about the Squeezebox 2, but I must admit it's not entirely obvious to me how this works.

1. Do I need to have the 'slimserver' software running at all times on a PC in order to enjoy streamed network audio?

2. Can I stream ALL the audio from a PC? It would be nice to be able to stream website-based-radio, especially Pandora.com. This isn't available as a web-stream, it has to be done with a web browser.

3. I am on a shared wireless network, with many of the computers having a collection of MP3s. Would it be possible to access all of these computers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dock
    1. Do I need to have the 'slimserver' software running at all times on a PC in order to enjoy streamed network audio?
    You need a local instance of slimserver to listen to your own music. If you want to listen to streaming radio, you can connect to SqueezeNetwork.
    2. Can I stream ALL the audio from a PC? It would be nice to be able to stream website-based-radio, especially Pandora.com. This isn't available as a web-stream, it has to be done with a web browser.
    In the case of Pandora, they appear to use flash based streaming (very bizarre) so no - you can't stream that to an SB2 right now. Until someone takes apart their player and figures out how to get the stream from it.
    3. I am on a shared wireless network, with many of the computers having a collection of MP3s. Would it be possible to access all of these computers?
    Assuming all those mp3s are shared and the slimserver can see them, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by radish

In the case of Pandora, they appear to use flash based streaming (very bizarre) so no - you can't stream that to an SB2 right now. Until someone takes apart their player and figures out how to get the stream from it.

A
    But you could use something like Winamp (PC) or Nicecast (Mac) to capture the sound and broadcast it as a stream. The Squeezebox can accept this.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Softwar...per/index.html

All that fancy flash-based streamer does is access a sound file on the server; this app will sniff out that file.

Unfortunately the forum software truncates URLs, so links don't work. I guessone solution is to write part of the URL then a space then the rest of the URL

Quote Originally Posted by danco
    Unfortunately the forum software truncates URLs, so links don't work. I guessone solution is to write part of the URL then a space then the rest of the URL
    If you're referring to the URL that DavidP just posted, it works for me! Don't be put off by the fact that the URL appears to have been shortened in the text you see - the underlying URL is all there.

Ceejay