Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Questions from a possible buyer of a squeezebox

Hi all, this is my first post here, just wanted to ask a few things on the squeezebox.

I've more or less decided to buy a squeezebox here in the UK, was considering the Roku soundbridge but from what i can gather the squeezebox may be more suited to me.

What i need to know is - most of my mp3's are encoded in lame at either 192kbs or 256kbs, am igoing to get good quality sound through my hi-fi or should i consider encoding at higher rates?

i also have a few flac files, are these easy enough to play or does it require a bit of work to get them to play?

I noticed that the Roku supports DRM files, this doesnt bother me to much but if in the future i purchased any DRM files would the squeezebox be able to play them? also can i use WMP10 along with the squeezebox or does the slimserver software handle everything?

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Questions from a possible buyer of asqueezebox

Quoting McCol <McCol.1tmghb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> What i need to know is - most of my mp3's are encoded in lame at either
    > 192kbs or 256kbs, am igoing to get good quality sound through my hi-fi
    > or should i consider encoding at higher rates?

This mostly depends on your hearing. Do they sound ok through your computer
    speakers when you play them? if not, the Squeezebox2 isn't going to be any
    sort of miracle fix. A good rule of thumb is go with the highest bitrate that
    you canfit in teh harddrive space you want to allocate.

> i also have a few flac files, are these easy enough to play or does it
    > require a bit of work to get them to play?

FLAC is native to SB2, so there should be no problem at all.

>
    > I noticed that the Roku supports DRM files, this doesnt bother me to
    > much but if in the future i purchased any DRM files would the
    > squeezebox be able to play them? also can i use WMP10 along with the
    > squeezebox or does the slimserver software handle everything?

As far as I was aware, no one supports iTunes DRM, so be careful when you think
    of "supports DRM files". It matters where those DRM'd files come from.
    Squeezebox/Slimserver does not support DRM 'd files at this time, but there is
    always the option of burning the DRM files to an audio CD and re-ripping them
    to an unencumbered format.

You can use WMP10 as an additional client/player for slimserver (open url
    http://serverIP:9000/stream.mp3), but you will always need slimserver (or
    SqueezeNetwork) to handle the squeezebox2.

-kdf

Thanks for the reply.

Realise that the sb2 isnt a miracle fix, was just curious as to wether the quality of dac in the unit makes a difference.

Not overly worried about the DRM issue, cant see myself buying from itunes, was thinking more of the UK napster service which has a nice selection of indie/alternative music that is sometimes hard to find elsewhere(both online and on cd), but this isnt a deal clincher anyway.

Now i just need to find cheapest UK retailer, best price i've seen so far is around the £200 mark for wireless sb2.

Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCol
    Thanks for the reply.

Realise that the sb2 isnt a miracle fix, was just curious as to wether the quality of dac in the unit makes a difference.
    It does make a difference, and you don't need golden ears to hear it. In terms of DAC performance, SB2 is the extreme. Both PC sound cards and competing network players use shitty no-name DACs and poor power supplies, and the difference is both audible and measurable.

Also if you have FLAC files, there is only one choice (SB2) that can deliver the same original bits from the CD via digital outputs.

What i need to know is - most of my mp3's are encoded in lame at either 192kbs or 256kbs, am igoing to get good quality sound through my hi-fi or should i consider encoding at higher rates?
    If you are the least bit interested in audio quality, rip to FLAC. Hard disks are cheap and ripping is a pita, so you just want to do it once. Once you have FLACs, you can easily create MP3s if you need to play them on a storage-limited system somewhere.

Now i just need to find cheapest UK retailer, best price i've seen so far is around the £200 mark for wireless sb2.
    I bought mine from Scan.co.uk. Their normal price is £186 (£195 including delivery), but it seems to show up every couple of weeks or so on their 'Today Only' offers for a bit less (www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/). Unfortunately, it came up yesterday, (£175 plus delivery ISTR) so it may not come up again for a week or two. If you aren't it a hurry, check their offers daily. Sometimes offers repeat quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer
    I bought mine from Scan.co.uk. Their normal price is £186 (£195 including delivery), but it seems to show up every couple of weeks or so on their 'Today Only' offers for a bit less (www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/). Unfortunately, it came up yesterday, (£175 plus delivery ISTR) so it may not come up again for a week or two. If you aren't it a hurry, check their offers daily. Sometimes offers repeat quite quickly.
    Ordered from scan, cost me £199 but that was with a specified delivery time, will receive monday before noon.

Once again thanks for the replies guys.

Now going to spend the weekend encoding cd's to flac!