# logfile will be written to
    # /tmp/slimserver.log
    #

DAEMON=/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl
    PIDFILE=/var/tmp/slimserver.pid
    LOGFILE=/tmp/slimserver.log
    USER=slimserver
    SLIMSERVER_OPTS=""

The log is being written to, it contains this which I think is related to the other prefs error echoed to the terminal session;

Use of uninitialized value in -d at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.1.1/Slim/Networking/mDNS.pm line 26.
    Use of uninitialized value in -d at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.1.1/Slim/Networking/mDNS.pm line 26.
    Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/perl/5.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 36.
    DBI connect('dbname=/.slimserversql.db','',...) failed: unable to open database file(1) at dbdimp.c line 94 at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.1.1/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DataModel.pm line 113

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
      • Apr 2005

Sorry - I'm out of my depth then.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help.
      www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• PowerRanger
        • Aug 2005

Well, I'm still messing with this, but I'm not getting anywhere. Is anyone willing to pull the package from slimdevices.com and diff the /slim/utils/prefs.pm file between V6.1.1.tar.gz (which I have and is on the website) and SlimServer_v2005-08-02.tar.gz (which the scripts were written for and I have no idea where to get)

TIA

Mike
        Last edited by PowerRanger; 2005-08-23, 01:49.

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
          • Apr 2005

SlimServer_v2005-08-02.tar.gz was just the latest nightly I'd downloaded when I wrote up those instructions.

You can find the nightlies here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads...ly/latest/6.2/

The code is built every night so it won't be exactly the same as the 2 August code; but give it a go anyway.
          www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• PowerRanger
            • Aug 2005

Thanks for the Link

WooHoo---Its working!

I diffed doday's code with what I have, in addition to a few other differences, I found new line 424 vs old line;

if (ref($DEFAULT{$key}) eq 'ARRAY') {
            if (ref($DEFAULT{$key} eq 'ARRAY')) {

I haven't played any tunes yet because I have to hook up my audio drive still, but I wanted to say thanks for helping me out.

BTW

It also looks like somebody added a line to write out the actual prefs file (I suppose instead of building it fresh every time).

Mike

Comment

• johnduley
              • Apr 2005

thanks for a great tutorial

What a great tutorial! I'm studying for an LPI at the moment so being able to apply some of what I have learnt in a "real" situation is great i.e. creating a start-up script for SlimServer and setting up all the folders, users and permissions.

Previously, I used to run slimserver.pl from a subdir of my home dir - NOW I have it run as a daemon, by the dedicated use "slimserver" it has made the server much more responsive (particularly when using the web interface! Thanks Patrick!

Comment

• MrC
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Patrick Dixon

/* install as su */
                sudo su
                This is an odd one. You're using a setuid change UID program to run another setuid change UID program? How about the simpler:

sudo -s

Comment

• MrC
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by johnduley
                  What a great tutorial! I'm studying for an LPI at the moment so being able to apply some of what I have learnt in a "real" situation is great i.e. creating a start-up script for SlimServer and setting up all the folders, users and permissions.
                  How are things going with your studying/learning? I used to teach Unix/Linux course at a local community college for fun in the evenings. If you want some additional materials, lots of coursework, labs, lecture notes, and other stuff here (check the Calender sections):

Comment

• mordav
                    • Dec 2005

Slight modification to method

I've spent a couple of hours reading forum threads and trying to install v6.2.1 on my vanilla kubuntu 5.10 installation. I've been using Debian for years so was quite happy to follow the tutorial in this thread, but made a couple of changes:

To create the group and user together and give them the same uids:
                    adduser --system --group slimserver

To change the owner and groups on all files:
                    chown -RH root:slimserver /usr/local/slimserver

Then I had to run the step as prompted:
                    /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.1/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

Finally the thing that stumped me for longest was "which port do I use to connect to the server" but I found the answer in the log:
                    2005-12-04 22:17:30.8311 The URL to access SlimServer is now:

FWIW, I also have errors in the log but I don't know what if anything these will break:
                    can't create /fontcache: Permission denied at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.1/Slim/Display/Graphics.pm line 392
                    can't create /fontcache: Permission denied at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.1/Slim/Display/Graphics.pm line 392

Comment

• WildCoder
                      • Oct 2005

You either need to give write permission to your slimserver user in its home directory or manually create the fontcache directory and give it write permission to slimserver user.

The strange thing is that it seems to want to create it at the root (/fontcahe). You may not have defined a home directory for your slimserver user (not positive about that one).

My setup creates that directory in the same place it create the database (.slimserverdb.sql).

-WildCOder

Comment

• Pale Blue Ego
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by johnduley
                        Previously, I used to run slimserver.pl from a subdir of my home dir - NOW I have it run as a daemon, by the dedicated use "slimserver" it has made the server much more responsive (particularly when using the web interface! Thanks Patrick!
                        Does the .deb package now handle all this? - (create user slimserver, grant needed permissions, create startup script)

I've been manually starting slimserver.pl from /home/myusername/slimserver/
                        and it does seem very sluggish

Currently using 6.2.2 on a Mepis (debian) system
                        AMD Athlon 2K, 512 MB RAM, 20k track library

Comment

Working...