Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Can't kill slim.exe

[6.1b1, Windows 2000]

I have an errant server process. A few times in the last couple of hours I've noticed slim.exe consuming a lot of CPU; I've not been able to play music at those times, so I guess it's just too busy.

It seemed to stop using cycles when I shut down the MusicMagic application, but it still didn't respond (netstat says that something is listening on port 9000, but I can't tell what -- so slim.exe may or may not still be accepting requests).

The process is consuming ~174MB of memory, so I've tried to stop it using the notification area icon. The process didn't disappear so I figured it was just dormant in some way, and tried to start it again -- no effect. I now have a process consuming a load of memory but not doing anything, and which I can't kill through the task manager (access denied).

I'll grab a command-line kill utility soon if it doesn't disappear by itself, but I'm wondering if there's anything diagnostic I can do while it's here. I'd also like to know what caused it -- it may have been a coincidence that shutting down MusicMagic seemed to cause less CPU usage.

Thanks,
    Steve

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Can't kill slim.exe

Quoting smst <smst.1rrshb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I'll grab a command-line kill utility soon if it doesn't disappear by
    > itself, but I'm wondering if there's anything diagnostic I can do while
    > it's here. I'd also like to know what caused it -- it may have been a
    > coincidence that shutting down MusicMagic seemed to cause less CPU
    > usage.

A bug was fixed in Musicmagic that was leaving some http handles unclosed. This
    was fixed more recently than 6.1b1, so it would be worth trying the latest
    nightly build to see if that clears up the cpu usage while musicmagic is
    enabled.

-kdf

Excellent, thanks. I've killed the bad process and installed the nightly, and will assume it's all good. I'll report back if further similar badness ensues.