Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 274 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Re: Announce: SuperDateTime - CurrentDate/Temperature and/or Baseball Screensaver

Quoting peecee <peecee.1qj8jo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
    > kdf Wrote:
    > >
    > > you would be looking for more than this. This can be a result of
    > > something
    > > else.
    > > -k

>
    > Here's the whole output (although I don't know if it will help...)
    >

hmm...well, the getDisplayName problem is usually something else. When its on
    its own, the problem is a bit more bizarre. It could be a line endings issue.
    The server does depend on unix-style line endings, especially for strings
    (getDisplayName returns a string token for translation purposes).

Being on linux, I'm not sure how you would have ended up with wrong endings,
    unless the plugin has an issue at the source.

-kdf

So I can't seem to get this plugin working correclty either... doesn't show up on the plugins list in server settings.

Can someone please help me out -- would love to see some cub scores on there!

I'm running SB2 / Win XP / SS6.0.2

Also, if you have advice that involves the command line, any sort of "for dummies" version of your advice would be appreciated the previous post (with the sudo iuser type stuff) looke helpful but I could not figure out what to type where.

Thanks in advance for all you help.

TL

P.S. I'm on a number of discussion boards on various topics from the US Army to Phish concert posters and I must commend everyone here on the spectacular s/n ratio and all around helpful attitude. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by takashi37
    So I can't seem to get this plugin working correclty either... doesn't show up on the plugins list in server settings.

Can someone please help me out -- would love to see some cub scores on there!

I'm running SB2 / Win XP / SS6.0.2

Also, if you have advice that involves the command line, any sort of "for dummies" version of your advice would be appreciated the previous post (with the sudo iuser type stuff) looke helpful but I could not figure out what to type where.
    For starters, make sure you unziped the file properly. There should be a separate folder called SuperDateTime in the \SlimServer\server\Plugins folder. Within the SuperDateTime folder there will be a file called Plugin.pm.

After you unzip the file you need to restart the SlimServer. This can be accomplished by rebooting, or by restarting the service in Windows (control panel->performance and maintenance->administrative tools->services then find slimserver in the list and click restart).

After doing this the plugin "should" appear on the slim server server settings plugin page. On this page you then need to enable the plugin by clicking on the checkbox for it. Once this is done, configuration options will appear on that page (teams, zip code, etc).

THEN... to get the plugin to display information you must enable it as your "off" screensaver for each player. This is done from the "Player" settings screen under the "Screen Savers" section.

I know this sounds like a lot, but it's really not that hard.

If you've done all this and it's still not working you need to restart the server in plugin debug mode. To do this you first need to stop the server software (control panel->performance and maintenance->administrative tools->services then find slimserver in the list and click stop). Then open a command prompt (start menu->programs->accessories->Command Prompt). From the command prompt change directories into your slimserver directory.
    CD c:\program files\slimserver\server
    then start the server in debug
    slim -d_plugins
    Now watch the server startup and there should be some text output that hopefully will indicate what's wrong.

Please let me know how it goes or if you need clarification on any of the above.

Ok, I did that (and provided the output on page 2) and still not working. I'm totally stoked to get my temp and baseball scores on my sb, and I'm sure I've done something stupid.

Paul

Just wanted to give some final feedback...it works!! I downloaded again after blowing away the other attempt. It may have been an ownership issue. This plugin is VERY useful.

I noticed when you have a team enabled, the temp/hum doesn't display. As soon as team is disabled, temp/hum is displayed.

One suggestion, I would be really interested to see the team stuff displayed once an hour (top of the hour?) for 5 minutes (or update time) when they are scheduled to play, and then scroll when the game is being played.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by peecee
    Just wanted to give some final feedback...it works!! I downloaded again after blowing away the other attempt. It may have been an ownership issue. This plugin is VERY useful.
    Good to hear! I was actually looking over your debug output trying to figure out what to suggest.
    I noticed when you have a team enabled, the temp/hum doesn't display. As soon as team is disabled, temp/hum is displayed.
    Hmmmm. The plugin should alternate between game information and the time/temperature information based on the time interval and score interval settings you choose. What size font are you using? A problem does come up with the total character length of the teams exceeds the physical space of the display. Depending on your Slimserver version it may scroll or it may get stuck. If you use "Soft"squeeze it will scroll, but always get stuck. Try hitting the size button on your remote to see if it "un"stucks. I personally have my display set at the second largest font.

Attached to this message is my latest copy I'm testing that shortens some of the team names to lessen the chance of this occuring.

One suggestion, I would be really interested to see the team stuff displayed once an hour (top of the hour?) for 5 minutes (or update time) when they are scheduled to play, and then scroll when the game is being played.
    I've actually been thinking about some enhancements along those lines. If I add score/time interval settings for "active" games it should do the trick.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks!

Thanks so much GoCubs! A temp and time screensaver has been a dream of my wife's ever since she started checking the weather forecast using the RSS plugin.

I commented out some lines as shown below to prevent display of the "feels like" data. I wanted to pass it along to any non-techies who might want to do the same.

if ($nowshowing == 0) {
    #if ($temperature == $feelslike) {
    $time2 = $time2 . ' ' . $temperature . '░';
    #}
    #else {
    #$time2 = $time2 . ' ' . $temperature . '░/' . $feelslike . '░';
    #}
    if ($showHumidity == 1) {
    $time2 = $time2 . '/' . $humidity;
    }
    }

I am using the SDT on font the largest setting. It scrolls just fine with my SB1. Slimp3 works too. I've never seen the stuck problem. Running latest release of the 6.0 code.

When I get home tonight, I'll update to give some feedback on the changes in the Plugin.

Paul

I am using the SDT on font the largest setting. It scrolls just fine with my SB1. Slimp3 works too. I've never seen the stuck problem. Running latest release of the 6.0 code.

When I get home tonight, I'll update to give some feedback on the changes in the Plugin.
    In your other message you said, "I noticed when you have a team enabled, the temp/hum doesn't display. As soon as team is disabled, temp/hum is displayed."

What exactly did you mean? I thought you were saying the screen info wasnt cycling between the time/temp and team info.

Did anyone else find that the current-temp stopped displaying? I'd been using v3.0.8 of the SuperDateTime plugin for a while with no problems, but noticed last night that it stopped working today -- the current temp is now displayed as "--".

Just tried latest v3.2.6 (and then restarted my 6.0.2 slimserver), it's seeing the relative humidity (reported as 79%, which matches what I see at http://www.weather.com/weather/local/55033), but it's still giving me a current temperature of "--".

The ONLY thing in my slimserver's .log is this:
    Argument "--" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/home/slim/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Plugins/SuperDateTime/Plugin.pm line 996.