Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

slim.exe & slimserver.exe .... ?

Hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the forum / faq.
    I downloaded slimserver and installed it. All worked fine.

Now I have something called slim.exe running - I assume this is the slimserver software. However, the shortcut on my desktop starts something called slimserver.exe - is this just the GUI for slim.exe? What different jobs do the 2 things do?

Also, in the slimserver entry under Start->All Programs, I have something called Slim Web Interface which when selected opens a dialog claiming that windows is searching for Interface.url but it never finds it. What is this and do I need it? What is it used for?

Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the forum / faq. I downloaded slimserver and installed it. All worked fine.

Now I have something called slim.exe running - I assume this is the slimserver software. However, the shortcut on my desktop starts something called slimserver.exe - is this just the GUI for slim.exe? What different jobs do the 2 things do?
    Yes, slim.exe is the server and slimserver.exe is a GUI program. You don't need slimserver.exe - it's just a branded web browser with some hard-coded buttons for controlling SlimServer. You can use the browser that you normally use on a daily basis and connect to your SlimServer web interface at http://localhost:9000/. Create a shortcut somewhere that is convenient for you - your desktop, toolbar, favorites, whatever.

Also, in the slimserver entry under Start->All Programs, I have something called Slim Web Interface which when selected opens a dialog claiming that windows is searching for Interface.url but it never finds it. What is this and do I need it? What is it used for?
    I get the same. I'd guess it's a missing shortcut that should point to http://localhost:9000/. The SlimServer Windows installer could probably use a little work.
    ________
    Kawasaki ZG1200A
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-01-22 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    You can use the browser that you normally use on a daily basis and connect to your SlimServer web interface at http://localhost:9000/. Create a shortcut somewhere that is convenient for you - your desktop, toolbar, favorites, whatever.
    Thanks for that. However, I can't connect to the localhost (which is 192.168.0.5 on my network). Very strange....I'll need to have a hunt around to try and find out what's going on but if anyone has any ideas why then let me know.
    BTW I tried starting slim.exe from the command prompt with various debug modes set and it never output anything...?

Cheers
    Jim

Scrap the last post - I'm a fool.
    It really helps if you remember which laptop you are on and hence the name/ip of the localhost....

All working fine now.
    Thanks