Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Most cars have usb. I carry my music on some usb sticks for car use. I Bluetooth the phone as a phone only but I do have a lot of Flacs on my phone.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I've found most ICE systems have awful unresponsive UIs when it comes to browsing large numbers of files on USB sticks, tbh. And there's no search, obviously. And their format support is awful. I have everything ripped to flac for home use and a mirrored archive of ogg vorbis files for use outside the home. Despite ogg being a FREE codec most in car players won't actually play them. Even if you get the right format there are sometimes annoying revision or bitrate limits.

Why Ogg not mp3? Well apart from the better sound quality per bit the main reason is Replaygain support.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Fewer distractions when driving is a good thing, so I do my organizing for drive-along-music ahead of time. I prefer to use USB drives but have an ample selection on my always-with-me mobile for bluetooth or cable access via USB port.

I always have a flash drive with newer music for checking out, but several others with playlists of one sort or another that get modified/supplemented over time - Alternate Takes (side-by-side versions of songs by different artists) or Male/Female duets, for instance.

I maintain two libraries, one with files as I received or made them, mainly flac, and another at 320 mp3 for mobile purposes. Since neither I nor most folks can hear the difference between a 320 mp3 and a flac on great home equipment, I am confident I won't be able to hear it in the all-noise environment of the car.

As for loudness balancing, I've thought of that -- but doesn't most file conversion software, e.g. dbPoweramp, allow writing of MP3s in a conversion process that reflect the Replay Gain tag on the flac?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Yes you can create normalised mp3s, but the process is lossy in a way that's much worse than the lossy compression inherent in the medium.

Ogg Vorbis gain leaves the raw data alone and requires all decoders to be able to apply the decibel correction from the headers. Similar to flac.

Last edited by drmatt; 2018-02-16 at 09:07.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Yes you can create normalised mp3s, but the process is lossy in a way that's much worse than the lossy compression inherent in the medium.

Ogg Vorbis gain leaves the raw data alone and requires all decoders to be able to apply the decibel correction from the headers. Similar to flac.

I was under the impression that replay gain is applied via a tag in MP3 files and the original MP3 data is not altered, at least if FOOBAR200, MediaMonkey or Winamp are used to create replay gain info for MP3 files. How would this be different from Ogg Vorbis?
    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...ayGain#MP3Gain
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Depends on the player. If the new player honour the gain tag then great, but it was not a core feature.

Annoyingly android core media playback services do not honour replaygain tags either, so I do wind up also permanently normalising my files used for portable playback. Like you say, no issue for in car playback.

--