Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looking at the log, when my Ri3 boots, it first connect to the network (yes, WiFi), it gets the IP address from the DHCP where is its reservation, THEN LMS starts.

So... I can confirm the LMS starts AFTER the Rpi3 got the IP address.

I tried to put a radio station in the auto start, as suggested and of course after the boot the radio start playing. Always.

I have several radio stations in my favourite list and these can be played, always.

additional infos:
    Since the Rpi3 is connected to a LCD screen, I can have a look at the boot process before the GUI\Jivelite comes available.
    I verified these steps both for the WLAN and wired ethernet
    first Rpi3 ask for the IP to che DHCP, then it gests the reserved IP address
    after that it mounts the CIFS share from the NAS where I host my FLAC files
    (since the mount is succesfully, I imagine that the RPi3 is correctly connected to the network)
    only after that I can see the LMS starting then started.

Radio channel alredy saved in my favourites can always be played
    what is not working is the absence of the RADIO icon on the LCD touch to be used to search additional channel and so on
    the radio icon becomes avaialble only after LMS restart AND GUI quit\restart
    If I just restart Jivelite, radio icon is not present, I must restart LMS first.
    Last edited by steff; 2018-01-12 at 02:17.

The important part is actually the DNS adress , if that is not known to the system before LMS starts you get these symptoms.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    The important part is actually the DNS adress , if that is not known to the system before LMS starts you get these symptoms.
    Nice to know.

Looking at the LCD screen during the boot, I can perfectly see that together the IP address, the DHCP correctly assign the ip of the DNS server, after that mouts the NAS, then starts the LMS.
    This afternoon I got a new Rpi3 to be used for VPN terminator at my home and I tested a brand new setup of pCP.
    I got the very same behaviour.

Supposing my problems can come from my home network, I got a mobile WiFi hotspot.
    I configured the Rpi3 to connect to the WiFi provided by the hotspot and... IT WORKS !!! Radio available!!!

So... let me recap... hoping some additional suggestions can come.

Connecting the Rpi3 to my home network... wired Ethernet... embedded WiFi... Edimax WiFi USB dongle... radio are not available
    The Rpi3 boots, it gest IP address and DNS address correctly, then mount the CIFS shares (so the network is OK), then starts LMS.
    After a LMS restart, radios are available, always,

Connecting the Rpi3 to a mobile WiFi hotspot... radio works.

The problem is that I have a huge number of devices @ my home working on my network without any issue (Playstation, TV, Sky box, iPad, Samsung smartphones and tablet, two HP Proliant servers, the alarm system, etc....)
    So I can not confirm it is problem of my switches and router...
    pobably a problem of "inter-compatibility" between the Rpi3+pCP+my network.

suggestios?
    Last edited by steff; 2018-01-13 at 16:25.

If you wait a while Radio wont show up eventually ? You should be running the latest 7.9.1 beta it has some improvements regarding this behaviour.

Run ifconfig or similar to see if the rpi actually has got ip dns etc .

You only have one network interface running on the pi ?

Workaround.

Make a static network setup with ip dns and gateway etc so that DHCP is not a factor.
    ( make sure that the DHCP pool does not include this ip ).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I agree that there is something on your network that is slow. This has the consequence that when LMS start it is unable to populate the radiostations.

As a work-around you could make a User command" on the "tweaks page". The command you supply here will be executed as the last command while pCP is booting.
    In this field you could add a "restart LMS command" and if that isn't enough you could add a "sleep" first command in order to let pCP wait a few secunds before restarting LMS.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    The Rpi3 boots, it gest IP address and DNS address correctly, then mount the CIFS shares (so the network is OK), then starts LMS.

suggestios?
    That really could point to the DNS. I dont think that you mount the CIFS Shares with a Domainname - you mount a IP?

Do you have a internal DNS Server?

Just give the rpi a static IP Adress with the DNS of your ISP and test again.

No... radio will not show even waiting days... until I restart LMS and Jivelite
    I am using the software as it comes from the official distribution.
    Yes,,, telnetting the Rpi3, I can confirm it gest IP and DNS and gateway, etc.
    Yes... 1 interface at a time... it happens even with just the wired Eth and internal WiFi disabled

my Internet provider is Vodafone and I have a proprietary modem\router. I can not change the configuration, so... if DHCP is enabled on a device, it gets as DNS the IP address of the router (same as gateway).
    In order to override the default DNS, i have to put it into the device.

I already tried, but seems that using the pCP web interface I can just forse the static IP on the wired Ethernet and not on the WiFi.

Question 1)
    How to force a static IP and DNS using the WLAN?

Question 2, for SBP)
    what have I to write in the tweaks page to restart the LMS and to restart Jivelite?
    (if I just restart LMS, I can play radios from the web interface, but no radio icon on the LCD screen... I need to restart the Jivelite too)

My best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I agree.
    I have seen the issue described with piCorePlayer and LMS.
    By default the pCp set up assumes that your DNS server is your router. I don't think it properly obeys the DHCP server settings in this area.
    In the end I solved the issue by giving the Pi a real static IP address (as opposed to a reservation) and a static DNS address (8.8.8.8)
    I recall some debate with the pCp guys about the default being the router and suggested it be Google.
    I could see that DNS was the issue as my Pi booted at epoch every time as it could not find the NTP server.

EDIT. I am talking wired ethernet. It isn't possible to set a true static IP or DNS on the wifi interface.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2018-01-19 at 05:51.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I agree.

EDIT. I am talking wired ethernet. It isn't possible to set a true static IP or DNS on the wifi interface.
    Is there in this forum someone that can help me\us in:

1) how to set static IP address for a WLAN connection?
    There is the feature in the WEB GUI, but only for wired Ethernet

2) write the command to stop\start or restart from command line for LMS?

3) eventually let me know where is located the script that starts LMS at boot