Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Help in moving Playlists from Foobar to Squeezebox

My issue is, I would like to copy my Foobar Playlists to my LMS. It get a little complicated. My LMS is on a Raspberry Pi using PiCorePlayer. The playlists are in Foobar on a Windows machine. However, the Foobar software pulls it's music files over the network from the LMS.

Originally these lists were built in my LMS when it was on a Windows machine. I then copied them to Foobar with out any issue. I'm guessing because at that time the LMS and Foobar were on the same machine and used the same exact files. Sadly that machine died and the backup isn't any good because the new LMS is not on a Windows machine.

Editing the Playlist from the Foobar .m3u file to the format that Squeezebox is using would take forever for this many lists/songs. I'm hoping I'm missing something or am unaware of some software that might help.

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts.

Howard

Running LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3. Running the latest version of LMS and all software on the Pi, PiCorePlayer, LMS, SqueezeLite, etc...

Hi there,
    since you still have a Windows machine, here's a process you could try:
    • Make sure you know the exact path to your music on the Raspberry Pi. It's on the "Basic Settings" tab of your LMS's Settings page, under "Media Folders". Mine is "/mnt/music"
    • Install Notepad++ on your Windows machine
    • Temporarily associate Notepad++ with M3U files (right-click, open with, always use)
    • Open all M3U-files in Notepad++
    • Your M3U files will normally contain the path on your Windows pc. Mine would say "m:"
    • First, in Notepad++ use Ctrl + h to open the replace dialog. In "Find what" put "" without quotation marks, in "Replace with" put "/", also without quotation marks
    • Click "Replace All in All Opened Documents"
    • Second, in "Find What" put your Windows drive identifier (m: in my example), in "Replace with" put the Raspberry Pi part of the path. In my example I'd replace "m:" with "mnt/music"
    • The end result should be that you come from e.g. "m:\Ayreon\01011001\02-Comatose.mp3" in Foobar to "/mnt/music/Ayreon/01011001/02-Comatose.mp3" for the Raspberry Pi.
    • Save all the M3U-files. I'd recommend changing the names, so you still have them for Foobar
    • Using WinSCP or whatever way is easiest for you, copy them over to the "Playlists Folder" of your Raspberry Pi, as indicated on the "Basic Settings" tab of your LMS's Settings page.
    • In "Rescan Media Library", choose "Only rescan playlists"
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + Squeezepad (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Aune X7S + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Help in moving playlists....

Thanks for all the info. It's pretty much what I've tried with the exception that I only tried one file. Cautious at my age :-) Here's an example from each playlist type. The use of the % instead of / is one of a couple of things that just seems to make this worse than normal.

Here's a Foobar example:
    #EXTINF:-1,It's All Over Now
    \\10.0.0.151\sbserver\iTunes\iTunes Music\The Rolling Stones\12 X 5 (Remastered)\06 It's All Over Now.m4a

Here's another. Both work in Foobar:
    \\10.0.0.151\sbserver\Joan Osborne\Relish\Dracula Moon.flac

Here's one from the LMS:
    #EXTURL:file:///mnt/Music/Low%20Millions/Ex-Girlfriends/Nikki%20Don%27t%20stop.flac
    #EXTINF:273,Nikki Don't stop
    /mnt/Music/Low Millions/Ex-Girlfriends/Nikki Don't stop.flac

All sorts of extra stuff. SBS refuses to play or see any other format. If it weren't for the #EXTURL line and the use of %, it would be pretty straight forward for me.

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks again,

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Hi there,
    since you still have a Windows machine, here's a process you could try:
    • Make sure you know the exact path to your music on the Raspberry Pi. It's on the "Basic Settings" tab of your LMS's Settings page, under "Media Folders". Mine is "/mnt/music"
    • Install Notepad++ on your Windows machine
    • Temporarily associate Notepad++ with M3U files (right-click, open with, always use)
    • Open all M3U-files in Notepad++
    • Your M3U files will normally contain the path on your Windows pc. Mine would say "m:"
    • First, in Notepad++ use Ctrl + h to open the replace dialog. In "Find what" put "" without quotation marks, in "Replace with" put "/", also without quotation marks
    • Second, in "Find What" put your Windows drive identifier (m: in my example), in "Replace with" put the Raspberry Pi part of the path. In my example I'd replace "m:" with "mnt/music"
    • The end result should be that you come from e.g. "m:\Ayreon\01011001\02-Comatose.mp3" in Foobar to "/mnt/music/Ayreon/01011001/02-Comatose.mp3" for the Raspberry Pi.
    • Save all the M3U-files. I'd recommend changing the names, so you still have them for Foobar
    • Using WinSCP or whatever way is easiest for you, copy them over to the "Playlists Folder" of your Raspberry Pi, as indicated on the "Basic Settings" tab of your LMS's Settings page.
    • In "Rescan Media Library", choose "Only rescan playlists"
    Can I go home now?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post

All sorts of extra stuff. SBS refuses to play or see any other format. If it weren't for the #EXTURL line and the use of %, it would be pretty straight forward for me.

Am I over thinking this?
    Yes.

I made a four track playlist in Foobar (Windows 10). This is what it looks like in notepad++

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  57.0 KB

I changed the paths to the files so as to make it playable in LMS

Name:  adapted.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  74.7 KB

Added the playlist file to my playlist folder, and after a rescan it plays in LMS no problem.

Name:  LMS.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB

Don't worry about all the extra #EXTURL line and %20 stuff, you will only see this with playlists created within LMS.

Hope this is clear?
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22 > Edifier R980T
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio

Help in moving playlists.....

Thanks and it is clear. I'll give it a shot in a little while and report back.

Not looking for an answer, but am curious about all the extraneous lines in my SBS created playlists.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Yes.

I made a four track playlist in Foobar (Windows 10). This is what it looks like in notepad++

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  57.0 KB

I changed the paths to the files so as to make it playable in LMS

Added the playlist file to my playlist folder, and after a rescan it plays in LMS no problem.

Name:  LMS.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB

Don't worry about all the extra #EXTURL line and %20 stuff, you will only see this with playlists created within LMS.

Hope this is clear?
    Can I go home now?

Not looking for an answer, but am curious about all the extraneous lines in my SBS created playlists.

Thanks
    I've no idea, it's all mumbo-jumbo to me

Like I say, you don't need all that #Exif %20 stuff, but if I save that same playlist in LMS:

Name:  saved.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  31.9 KB

It changes this (which works no problem):

Views: 38

into this (which also works no problem):

Name:  notepadsaved.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  132.7 KB
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22 > Edifier R980T
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio

Help in moving playlists.....

OMG, I forgot to capitalize the "M" in "Music" in the path.

I apologize and thanks for everyone's help.

Howard

Thanks
    Can I go home now?

OMG, I forgot to capitalize the "M" in "Music" in the path.

I apologize and thanks for everyone's help.

Howard
    That's a Linux beginner's error, don't worry. You'll be cursing the case sensitivity for along time I know I'm still tripping over it at times, and I've been fooling around with linux for several years now, but my (IT) job is 100% Windows based
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + Squeezepad (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Aune X7S + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...