Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS Server-only on Raspberry Pi

Hi folks,
    I want to replace my WinXP LMS Server with a Raspberry Pi LMS server. I have a Squeezebox Duet for use as player and control, as well as Squeezer on my Android phone.

My XP box is not upgradeable and has problems restarting after power loss (I live in a heavily forested area). And I have a couple of Pi boards lying around. I have the original Raspberry Pi Model B board.

I tried loading it on the Max2Play image but would hang after 5 minutes and I could never find a plugin, or anything that said Logitech, within that brief 5 minutes.

Then I loaded on piCorePlayer. It booted to a command line only and I never saw the commands to start anything, and the website didn't describe what to do to get past that. I don't mind command line if I know what I am looking for.

Can someone give me advice on what I've done wrong or what to do next?

Just done this on an original, nearly fell asleep 3times

Download the Standard version of piCorePlayer
    Use Etcher to burn the image
    Open the pCP web gui
    Go to Main Page tab
    Scroll to bottom and select beta tab
    Return to top of main page and Resize FS (I use 1000MB)
    Wait for the reboot, be patient it takes a while
    Go to the LMS tab and install LMS
    Configure LMS
    Update when you are offered.
    Go to Tweaks tab and stop Squeezelite from Auto starting
    Playing Radio Paradise into a Boom

It all takes a bit of time, so when you can , get a rpi3b, it's much faster.

Ronnie

Better to be wet than covered in snow

Although PiCoreplayer or Max2play are fine solutions, for a LMS-only solution i should consider Raspbian Lite first, with LMS manually installed on it.
    Of course you should have some basis knowledge of Linux in general. If that is not the case, than PiCoreplayer or Max2play are indeed the best options.
    Living Room: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Kitchen: SB Radio
    Other rooms: 4x SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    Although PiCoreplayer or Max2play are fine solutions, for a LMS-only solution i should consider Raspbian Lite first, with LMS manually installed on it.
    Of course you should have some basis knowledge of Linux in general. If that is not the case, than PiCoreplayer or Max2play are indeed the best options.
    The OP does not seem to be very raspberry literate (No offense meant) I think they would have a hard time installing and running LMS on Raspbian.
    Also they state power outages are a problem, this may cause raspbian (or Max2Play) not to be a very good idea at all, and Pcp to be a better one.

TheWhip the web gui that Man In A Van talks about is at http://<raspberry ipaddress> this is usually displayed by Pcp once booted

If you could put linux on the old XP server it would be more than enough for an LMS server
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2018-01-06 at 15:44. Reason: Added Linux on XP server
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

True, I haven't done too much with Raspberries, but I have worked on embedded computers my whole career, including (occasionally) Linux, so I should be able to figure this out.

I did consider just loading Linux on the PC I have now to replace WinXP, but it is big, noisy and uses a lot of electricity. So I was hoping to move to a little Raspberry.

It sounds like Man in a van was doing exactly what I wanted, but that I got different results, since I never saw what he was describing. Maybe I have a corrupted image on the SD, so I will try again after reformatting.

Thanks for your input everyone, and I will keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhip View Post

It sounds like Man in a van was doing exactly what I wanted, but that I got different results, since I never saw what he was describing. Maybe I have a corrupted image on the SD, so I will try again after reformatting.

Thanks for your input everyone, and I will keep you posted!
    Please notice that in order to reach the piCorePlayer web page that was described above you need to use another computer and point your web-browser to the IP address of your raspberry.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer