Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Enable ACL filetests on QNAP?

I had some trouble with digimaster's installer and permissions, so I reset every permission (well...). Also, I enabled the plugin "Enable ACL filetests".

While I now can use my libraries with the standard QNAP permissions 0770, three questions remain.

1. The old playlists. They are "Empty". I checked the permissions here and noticed I did not reset every permission. So I changed the folder's group to match the working music folder. I created a new playlist, that worked. I matched the old playlists' permissions to the new one and expected the old ones to work, but they are not. Do they need to be rescanned to not appear empty? If so, why? The new wasn't even there the last rescan.

2. In server.log and scanner.log, I found this:

Code:
    Slim::Plugin::ACLFiletest::Plugin::preinitPlugin (25) Error: Successfully initialized ACL filetests
    How can it be an error if it "Successfully initialized ACL filetests"? Isn't it supposed to do this?

3. Do I even need this ACL plugin? I disabled it and LMS feels slower, but due to this error I'm not sure the plugin does anything at all on my system and I'm just imagining things. (In QNAP, "Advanced Folder Permissions" is enabled, "Windows ACL support" is not.)

Edit: Oh great. Could somebody please move this to "3rd Party Software"? Or tell me if and how I can do this?
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-01-03 at 07:46. Reason: corrected permissions 0750 -> 0770
    QLMS 7.9.1@1.07.2 (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

I disabled it again and this time my music library couldn't be found. I guess I shouldn't disable it then.

You have quite many treads now .

But for other QNAP users what what’s the settings in the qnap again for file permission? You had turned on some feature in the qnap for advanced permissions ( you said in another tread ) ? It’s maybe this that makes ACL necessary.
    I avoided the use of ACL on my Linux systems as it’s a bit complex .

And the user who runs LMS is also the owner of your playlist directory and music directory and the owner and group on these directories is the same as the group the LMS user belongs to . Same goes for the files

On the old playlists have you changed owner and group to match not just the permissions !! Especially owner ?

770 means that the file is only visible to its owner or group no one else even sees it
    If you do ls-la in the directory is there a “+” sign at the end ?

If you create a new playlist is it saved in the playlist directory ?

http://bencane.com/2012/05/27/acl-us...ists-on-linux/

https://chmod-calculator.com

I would simply make sure that NAS did not use ACL and disable the ACL plugin and then set usable normal permissions on the directories.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    You have quite many treads now .
    And I'm sorry for that (in this case, because it's the same question I (also) asked in another thread. The main question was somehow ignored. ). I posted it in the wrong section and it got lost. I do not know how to move it and I couldn't delete it...

But for other QNAP users what whatÂ’s the settings in the qnap again for file permission? You had turned on some feature in the qnap for advanced permissions ( you said in another tread ) ? ItÂ’s maybe this that makes ACL necessary.
    I avoided the use of ACL on my Linux systems as itÂ’s a bit complex .
    I think that's a smart move. I use the so called "Advanced folder permissions", but not the "Windows ACL support" because so many complained about it not being implemented right.

And the user who runs LMS is also the owner of your playlist directory and music directory and the owner and group on these directories is the same as the group the LMS user belongs to . Same goes for the files
    Not entirely. The user running LMS is the owner (owner & group=squeezeboxserver) of the playlist directory and its files while I'm the owner of the music directory. However, squeezeboxserver has RO access to the music library and its files.

On the old playlists have you changed owner and group to match not just the permissions !! Especially owner ?
    I looked what permissions, owner and group a newly created playlist has and matched the old ones accordingly. What I did not recognized the last days was that while I do can create new playlists, I cannot play them.

770 means that the file is only visible to its owner or group no one else even sees it
    Yes. The group is "everyone", so I guessed that would include squeezeboxserver.

I think I'll create a new group for squeezeboxserver and myself and reset permissions for the playlist and music folders again to use this new group instead of "everyone".

If you do ls-la in the directory is there a “+” sign at the end ?
    Code:
    /share/Multimedia/Playlists$ ls -la
    total 196
    drwxrwx---  3 dolodobendan     everyone         4096 Jan  9 06:11 ./
    drwxrwxrwx 14 admin            administrators   4096 Jan  4 16:31 ../
    drwxrwx---  2 dolodobendan     everyone         4096 Jan  8 23:23 Backup/
    -rw-rw----  1 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver 1966 Dec 29 21:37 Lost & Found.m3u
    No + sign.

If you create a new playlist is it saved in the playlist directory ?
    Yes. DJanGo suggested that while the share is accessible for LMS with ACL, it might not be directly on the NAS. (That is, if I understood him correctly.)

I'll have a look at that, thank you.

I would simply make sure that NAS did not use ACL and disable the ACL plugin and then set usable normal permissions on the directories.
    That was one of the first problems. Copying files to the share with windows rendered them invisible to Squeezebox. One problem got fixed, another one appears. If this ends in a trade-off, I guess I could do without playlists.

Thank you, as always, for your insights!

It works now, see

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post903803

While it was ok for the user "squeezeboxserver" to be disabled all these past years with SSOTS, digimaster's installer needs it to be enabled (at least in my configuration).

Thank you for help!

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    It works now, see

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post903803

While it was ok for the user "squeezeboxserver" to be disabled all these past years with SSOTS, digimaster's installer needs it to be enabled (at least in my configuration).

Thank you for help!
    Wow thats the typical user running LMS on almost all linux systems who would have thougth
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Wow thats the typical user running LMS on almost all linux systems who would have thougth
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic right now. But I can assure you, I didn't change the user's status in the last years. It seems that QNAP + Advanced Folder Permissions + LMS isn't as common as I thought. And now I think I know why.