Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Behavior of display

Hi there,

I am impressed that my Squeezebox Booms are still working - fingers crossed they will continue to do so for a long time still.

I am experiencing behavior I don't understand and which is annoying for my bedside Boom:

1. I have set the display to "automatic" for all states (active, turned off, idle). I also set it to use the light sensor.
    2. I use the plugin Squeeze Power Contol plugin (SrvrPwrCtrl) by Gordon Harris. This will suspend the server after being idle for 10 minutes.
    3. When the server is not suspended everything works as expected:
    3a. When the Boom is idle: The main display shows the time. All buttons (like "play" >, >>, << are off).
    3b. When the Boom is playing: The main display shows "Now Playing". All buttons (like "play" >, >>, << are lit).
    4. When the server is suspended I get the unexpected behavior.
    4a. When the Boom is idle: The main display shows the time. All buttons (like "play" >, >>, << are *lit*).

4a is annoying since it means that when I sleep the buttons are lit for no reason. For some reason there is a difference between states 3a and 4a - I know the difference is that the server is on in 3a and suspended in 4a, but I cannot figure out how to turn the buttons off in 4a.

Any ideas?
    -thomas

PS: I know I could just switch off everything, but it is nice to have the clock on.
    --
    Server: Atom D510, 32-bit, dual core with 2 GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04, LMS 7.9.0
    Players: SB receiver + 4 SB boom, all players synchronized
    Remotes: 1+ mobile phone and Google Nexus 10 tablet with SqueezeCtrl, Orange Squeeze and SqueezeCommander

Plugins:
    Ickstream with Tidal
    ServerPowerControl Plugin by Gharris
    Trackstat and other wonderful Erland plugins

Sorry this isn't going to answer your question but why would you sleep the server? Noise? Heat? Is it a kilowatt beast?

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Reason for suspending

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Sorry this isn't going to answer your question but why would you sleep the server? Noise? Heat? Is it a kilowatt beast?

My server is a bit old and I suspend it mainly because of power consumption. My calculation is that it is suspended about 6500 hours per year saving about 50W (board and HDD) -> 325 kWh -> 100 USD. Perhaps a better solution would be to just spin down the HDD. I run Ubuntu 16.04 and I haven't looked into how to do it. I would expect the board to use about 20W so it is still about 40 bucks per year ...

The fan is are audible, but the server sits in the hallway, so it is not a problem. Thinking about it, the server is more than 8 yrs old... perhaps the reduced uptime is preserving the board better - disks have been upgraded to hold the expanding music collection.
    --
    Server: Atom D510, 32-bit, dual core with 2 GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04, LMS 7.9.0
    Remotes: 1+ mobile phone and Google Nexus 10 tablet with SqueezeCtrl, Orange Squeeze and SqueezeCommander

Plugins:
    Ickstream with Tidal

I wouldn't say reduced uptime improves reliability or lifetime, quite the opposite in fact. Though gear is much more reliable than it used to be anyway. Fair enough, you save a bit of cash over a year. My server does too much other stuff at unpredictable times to ever sleep. You'd save more energy by walking to the shop instead of driving though, *once*..

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by tuc View Post
    .... My calculation is that it is suspended about 6500 hours per year saving about 50W (board and HDD) -> 325 kWh -> 100 USD. Perhaps a better solution would be to just spin down the HDD. I run Ubuntu 16.04 and I haven't looked into how to do it. I would expect the board to use about 20W so it is still about 40 bucks per year ....
    Are these savings actually metered usage results while in suspend? Or are you just using the specs of the hardware?

Regardless, sounds about right to me.

--

I wouldn't say reduced uptime improves reliability or lifetime, quite the opposite in fact. Though gear is much more reliable than it used to be anyway. Fair enough, you save a bit of cash over a year. My server does too much other stuff at unpredictable times to ever sleep. You'd save more energy by walking to the shop instead of driving though, *once*..

I do both 😀 I live in the city. Anyways you are right it is not huge amount of saved energy. You are also right that powering on and off is supposed to reduce lifetime rather than extend it. I just never had a board with more than eight years lifespan. Perhaps I can get a new one for what I saved over the years...

I am a little curious: what else do you use your server for? I might get some inspiration.
    Have a Happy New Year.
    --

Plugins:
    Ickstream with Tidal

Regardless, sounds about right to me.

It is not metered.
    I think the CPU, board and fan uses 20W (could be more) and the HDD uses 30W when in operation.
    The only downside to powering off is a 10 second delay when coming out of suspension. I use the alarm in the morning. So no delay then. So it is only after work I get the delay.
    Any recommendations for new HW for a server?
    --

Plugins:
    Ickstream with Tidal

Quote Originally Posted by tuc View Post
    I do both I live in the city. Anyways you are right it is not huge amount of saved energy. You are also right that powering on and off is supposed to reduce lifetime rather than extend it. I just never had a board with more than eight years lifespan. Perhaps I can get a new one for what I saved over the years...

I am a little curious: what else do you use your server for? I might get some inspiration.
    Have a Happy New Year.
    Inspiration...? My server runs munin monitoring of servers and household energy use and temperature readings from a bunch of raspberry pis, receives emails for my domains, local file and dlna serving, log aggregation and a web server so I can check in on it and connect from work, etc. It also stages webcam security photos before cloud uploads take place..

I picked up a hp microserver for just over a hundred quid to do this. Should be reliable enough for another decade or so.... Though I think they peaked on the Gen 8. The Gen 10 has fewer useful features.

--