Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Receiver connects only after cutting and restoring power

Hi all!

Every time I restart the LMS (mostly because the NAS wants to reboot after an update), my SB Receiver won't connect to the LMS again. The other players (SB Touches) do. In iPeng the Receiver is then listed as "Unconnected Player" (right now not even that) and will stay unconnected until I cut and restore the Receiver's power. Then it almost immediately connects.

It's not that big a deal, but I'm still curious why this happens with the Receiver only (and reproducible).

Any ideas?

Does your server box have a static IP and your router have a fixed 2.4Ghz channel (not in auto mode)? I found that if my server address floated on a boot the Duet receiver a lot of the time would have to be booted too to regain access to the server. Same thing if the router decided to change the channel. I've gone with a static IP on my server and fixed 2.4Ghz channel for at least 7 years now and I'd say my Duet is pretty much a rock solid device. Side note... What do you run that needs booting so much? I'm on an old WHS2011 box for my server and I don't have any trouble with either of my Duets, they hook right back up when the server is restarted for updates (automatic).
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Hello w3wilkes,

thank you for answer!

Does your server box have a static IP and your router have a fixed 2.4Ghz channel (not in auto mode)?
    The server has a static IP, the SB Receiver is using DHCP (configured to always assign the same IP) via cable. I pulled the cable and plugged it back in and the Receiver stayed unconnected, though...

Side note... What do you run that needs booting so much? I'm on an old WHS2011 box for my server and I don't have any trouble with either of my Duets, they hook right back up when the server is restarted for updates (automatic).
    I run LMS on a QNAP 469L. There's security updates roughly once a month this year that require a reboot. The SB Touches do reconnect at once, too. It's only the Receiver that shows this behavior.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2017-12-27 at 12:15. Reason: code -> quote

The only other thing I'll mention is on my receivers (wifi attached) is sometimes the LED will stay blue (network attached, but not LMS attached) for some time after a server boot. I've seen it take a couple hours to reconnect. Now for my next "dumb" question. Are you sure you're Ethernet attached? Just plugging in the cable doesn't switch the receiver to Ethernet. One way to tell is in the information tab on the settings UI page. If it shows a wireless signal strength it is wifi attached even though it has an Ethernet cable plugged. If it's wifi you would have to reset the receiver and controller, have the receiver Ethernet attached and then do a setup from scratch. Seems like it's pretty early on in the setup that it will ask if you want wired or wireless when it notices that it has the choice. Sorry I can't think of anything else to check.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Check if port 3483 UDP/TCP and UDp broadcast is open on the server , the server broadcast it’s presence and players should be able to find it .

In this case it does not help to select the player via the controller and reconnect it to the server ( by choosing “my music” ) ? Or use the web- UI to conect it again .

In LMS have you entered your mysqueebox.com login so that the integration works ? The player migth actually be there sometimes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    The only other thing I'll mention is on my receivers (wifi attached) is sometimes the LED will stay blue (network attached, but not LMS attached) for some time after a server boot. I've seen it take a couple hours to reconnect.
    Here it stayed unconnected for over day before I pulled the plug.

Now for my next "dumb" question. Are you sure you're Ethernet attached? Just plugging in the cable doesn't switch the receiver to Ethernet. One way to tell is in the information tab on the settings UI page. If it shows a wireless signal strength it is wifi attached even though it has an Ethernet cable plugged. If it's wifi you would have to reset the receiver and controller, have the receiver Ethernet attached and then do a setup from scratch.
    It's Ethernet. But good to know I can check it in the UI. I didn't know.

Seems like it's pretty early on in the setup that it will ask if you want wired or wireless when it notices that it has the choice. Sorry I can't think of anything else to check.
    I set it up ages ago via some SSH thingy.

Ah, well, thank you for your help. I'm mainly curious why this happens.
    LMS 7.9.1@1.05 (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Check if port 3483 UDP/TCP and UDp broadcast is open on the server
    I did this:

Code:
    sudo netstat -plunt
    and found for port 3483 that:

Code:
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3483            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3570/perl
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3483            0.0.0.0:*                           3570/perl
    Is this what you meant?

In this case it does not help to select the player via the controller and reconnect it to the server ( by choosing “my music” ) ? Or use the web- UI to conect it again .
    I don't have the Controller, only the Receiver. (This forum doesn't like your quotes when quoting. )

Which web UI do you mean?

In LMS have you entered your mysqueezebox.com login so that the integration works ? The player migth actually be there sometimes.
    Yes, I have a login entered and the player is listed on mysqueezebox.com. Radio stations there (via TuneIn Radio) etc. show up on my players here. But the Receiver is listed as not connected on mysqueezebox.com as long as I don't cut and restore power (IIRC, I would have to check that again.)

Edit:

But the Receiver is listed as not connected on mysqueezebox.com as long as I don't cut and restore power (IIRC, I would have to check that again.)
    I did not remember correctly.

All players are listed as "Not connected", but I guess that means only "Not connected to mysqueezebox.com" because they are connected to my server. The Receiver, however, neither is connected to mysqueezebox.com nor to my server. (But it is listed under "My Players" on mysqueezebox.com, of course.)
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2017-12-29 at 11:44. Reason: Checked mysqueezebox.com

Weird ,LMS own web UI is not the reciever in the dropdown list of players ? But it should conect anyway ? It’s a strange problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Weird ,LMS own web UI is not the reciever in the dropdown list of players ? But it should conect anyway ?
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

It’s a strange problem
    That's how I roll.

I had that problem with 2 receivers, it was the power supply in my case.
    I would also get noise coming from the receiver at odd times.
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Audioengine A5
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.1