Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Radio sometimes not working and USB not connected

Hello

there are just a couple of things still not working on my pCP running on Rpi3 with LMS on the same hardware

1) sometimes the radio is not available
    Rebooting the pCP sometimes solve the problem, but not always. It is random
    I read this should be because of lack of Internet, even if the pCP is perfectly connected to the WiFi at boot (if not, it does not start al all).

Any idea how to fix?

2) USB unconnected.
    My DAC had several inputs: USB, optical, coax, line-in (to be used for analog headphones amplifier) etc
    IF I have the pCP \ Rpi3 working and plaing with USB and then I switch to other inputs, then the pCP stops playing. OK
    Switching back the DAC to UBS, results in the pCP still not playing and while the DAC displays USB UNCONNECTED.
    To solve I have to reboot the pCP being sure the DAC us set to USB.

Obviously there is a way out (reboot) but it is annoying.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    Hello

there are just a couple of things still not working on my pCP running on Rpi3 with LMS on the same hardware

1) sometimes the radio is not available
    Rebooting the pCP sometimes solve the problem, but not always. It is random
    I read this should be because of lack of Internet, even if the pCP is perfectly connected to the WiFi at boot (if not, it does not start al all).

Any idea how to fix?

2) USB unconnected.
    My DAC had several inputs: USB, optical, coax, line-in (to be used for analog headphones amplifier) etc
    IF I have the pCP \ Rpi3 working and plaing with USB and then I switch to other inputs, then the pCP stops playing. OK
    Switching back the DAC to UBS, results in the pCP still not playing and while the DAC displays USB UNCONNECTED.
    To solve I have to reboot the pCP being sure the DAC us set to USB.

Obviously there is a way out (reboot) but it is annoying.

Suggestions?
    Have connected the pi with ethernet to the router?

Is the dac powered via the usb?

I'm thinking "network" and "power Supply" here

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Have connected the pi with ethernet to the router?

Is the dac powered via the usb?

I'm thinking "network" and "power Supply" here

ronnie
    Pi3 is conntected to WiFi (but same problem with wired Eth)
    The DAC is self powered with its power supplier

Does restart work instead of rebooting?
    - Radio issue: restart LMS
    - DAC issue: restart squeezelite

(Something looks wrong with the router/network/cable if DHCP doesn't work over Ethernet.)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

If you have the same problem with either wireless or cable, I'm still thinking "network".

Random thoughts are:

Which version of pCP? do you use the standard 3.22 and not the fancy audio version.?

Which power supply are you using for the pi? it needs at least 2.5 amps and just a smidge over 5volts (the official, recommended one is good).

Although I have never experienced any problems with the inbuilt pi wifi myself, some people recommend a cable connection if running the LMS on the pi or the use of a usb wifi dongle, but then you are running the dac and the lan on the same bus, which might be contributing to your woes.

On the Squeezelite page is it set to use the LMS on the pi?

Switching inputs on the dac should leave the pCP playing through the usb, it should not arbitrarily break the connection.

I have never bothered with static IP addresses, but I know that some people advocate their use.

Have you tried the old switch it all of, reset the router, plug it back in, one by one routine.

ronnie

standard 3.22, not the audio one.
    the power supplier is OK, I am SURE, measured with a 600$ sampling multimeter while powering the Pi3.
    With the old one, I got the lighting bolt sometimes, now no more...

It happens both with wired ehternet and the built in WiFi. Now I am running a WiFi USB dongle to get more bandwidht (I can play 384 kHz FLAC over the WiFi with no problems)

Yes, set to use LMS on Rpi

For the USB: I confirm that if I switch the DAC input, then pCP stops playing and never resumes until reboot. Looks like the very same behaviour unplogging a USB dongle DAC

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Does restart work instead of rebooting?
    - Radio issue: restart LMS
    - DAC issue: restart squeezelite

(Something looks wrong with the router/network/cable if DHCP doesn't work over Ethernet.)
    Of course in this way it WORKS, but I need to have a computer up and running to open the pCP web page!!! boring!

How to restart LMS and Squeezelite from the pCP touch screen?
    I only see the complete reboot option.
    Maybe a plugin?
    Sorry

Of course in this way it WORKS, but I need to have a computer up and running to open the pCP web page!!! boring!

How to restart LMS and Squeezelite from the pCP touch screen?
    I only see the complete reboot option.
    Maybe a plugin?
    Sorry
    pCP Main page >LMS tab > scroll down the blocks on the left hand side > Restart LMS

I think the restart Squeezelite is in the Main Page

Of course in this way it WORKS, but I need to have a computer up and running to open the pCP web page!!!
    Then I think you can workaround the network issue with a custom command that sleeps 30 secs (or so) and restarts LMS. Custom command are executed last at boot. I don't use LMS on pCP and I am far from my players so I can't be more precise on the contents on that script.

And for the USB issue, I surmise it does *not* happen if SL has released the audio device before you switch it to another mode. I would try to play, power off or stop the player, change mode on you USB device, and back. If music restart without having to restart SL, then you could:
    - Always stop of power off the player before switching mode. The LMS plugin PowerSaver will power off an idle pCP player after 15 mins if you prefer.
    - Experiment with option -C which releases the audio device when simply idle for a while.

HTH
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    pCP Main page >LMS tab > scroll down the blocks on the left hand side > Restart LMS

I think the restart Squeezelite is in the Main Page
    sorry?
    In the pCP main page there are: My Music, Extras, My App, Gallery, favourites, settings and quit.
    No LMS tab.

I would be happy to have a button to restart the LMS and the SqueezeLite.... it is not very intuitive, but it solves.
    I can see just the option to restart Jivelite and reboot completely pCP

Thanks