Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Internet radio good but no music library...

I apologise in advance if I am going over old territory... I may well be...
    I have not used my Duet for about 6 months.
    I got it out yesterday, wired it all up, updated software, rescanned library (on an external hard drive), charged teh remote controller and... everything worked!
    FANTASTIC.
    Today the controller cannot find the library and LMS on my computer cannot find the player.
    The controller reads "To enable "My Music" download Logitech Media Server...." which is already on the computer.
    I rescanned the library and that is all OK at that end.
    At the controller end, I can pick "Radio" and play stations from all over the world.
    It is the library that it cannot see.
    I checked the location of the library and it is looking in the right place.
    Under Wireless info everything is right.
    Under Server info, from Logitech Media Server on down, nothing is connected.
    After 6 months not using it, I have forgotten all the tricks and hints.
    Is there something obvious I am not doing.
    As ever thank you in advance for any information, hints or even "you silly bugger" type comments.

better and worse

SO after a break, I downloaded LMS again and installed it and started everfything up.
    First thing I noticed was I still has the "Cannot connect" message, but then I saw thew controller was listed under players.
    I turned the controller off and the "Cannot connect" message disappeared and my library was all available on the controller.
    Excitedly I picked an album and hit play...
    "Cannot open files..."
    Excuse me while I hit my head against the wall.

... and for the third time...

I checked the computer and it wasn't showing the external drive with all the music... reloaded that.
    Checked the controller and it had the library.
    Hit play and a tiny tinny sound.... from the controller... Looked at "Select player".
    Turned off controller (again) and turned on the actual player I wanted.
    Oh good grief... M U S I C!
    So does anyone have an idea... except laughing that is????
    Is this a sign the gear is coming towards the end of its life or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ozpomfromhell View Post
    Is this a sign the gear is coming towards the end of its life or what?
    Unlikely.

If audio is coming from controller - IIRC that was a "beta" feature and possibly reliable - perhaps you have chosen "Bleeding edge" options in other places.

Without details of LMS platforms/OS hard to say any more specific - there are different problems with some NAS based and WIndows based LMS.
    "Cannot open files" indicate a transcoding problem on the LMS - this could happen if trying to play AAC files on SB Receiver. Perhaps LMS transcoder etc hadn't been properly installed (e.g. security s/w) first time.

Everything you describe points to a computer or network issue.

"Today the controller cannot find the library and LMS on my computer cannot find the player."
    --- possible that LMS is now on a different IP than last time used, players always assume LMS is where it was last time connected (i.e. same IP)
    --- on SB players you can force it to look for other instances of LMS (or different IP) but I don't have a Controller so not sure if/how to do this on a Controller

"The controller reads "To enable "My Music" download Logitech Media Server...." which is already on the computer."
    --- it says that when the player/controller cannot see LMS

"At the controller end, I can pick "Radio" and play stations from all over the world."
    --- likely connecting to MySB.com online server, no LMS needed for this

"I checked the computer and it wasn't showing the external drive with all the music... reloaded that."
    --- no drive = no library

Everything you describe points to a computer or network issue

[QUOTE=toby10;900937]Everything you describe points to a computer or network issue.

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion, so I pulled oiut an old netbook and plugged the external hardrive into that.
    It logged in to the network and both controller and player came up.
    WWWEEEEEE!
    Music played and happiness ruled...
    Next day it still worked.
    I have no idea why the other computer worked and then didn't and possibly I never will.
    But now the netbook can sit out of the way, can handle downloads of new music and not be in the way on my desk.