Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wireless access point on piCorePlayer?

Hi

I would like to use my piCorePlayer with LMS and hdd with Music as a server to play the music e.g. on iPeng in my car.

Is it possible, and if yes how, to configure piCorePlayer as a wireless access point, so that my iPhone can connect to it?

Thanks,

Rainer

I've been thinking about that too, I have the iphone but not the car

I've found this thread about ad-hoc mode which is not too old and might be useful.

Other than that, I haven't found a true AP recipe.
    I think I'll boot a pCP 3.20.2 and see how it rolls.
    I understand your use-case is the same as the linked thread, the Pi as an island, i.e. no network access at all.

Of course to set it up etc network is needed so that will be something of a routed setup that doesn't stall for ages when ethernet is not connected. A bridge would be neater though. I'll see what I can come up with.

EDIT. Also it might be worth pointing out that reversing responsibilities, with the iphone in AP mode ("personal hotspot") would work fine I think. This setup works with pCP out of the box, just set the wifi interface to the SSID and password of the iPhone's hostpot. iPeng will find the server and control the player. Bonus (?) you could use Internet streaming via the phone's 3G/4G radio link.
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2017-12-03 at 07:26.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

It can be done, the setup and configuration has to be done via ssh session. I've sent instructions to some via pm. The biggest problem is that not all wifi chips support it. I've tested it with a rpi3 a few versions ago.

And of those that do they are not all that reliable.. I've had mixed experiences running generic consumer chipsets as APs.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Hi guys,

Just in case somebody might be looking for a solution without SSH sessions, we created a plugin that install the AP with one click.

We have successfully tested it with the RPi3 and RPi2 with Edimax and Logilink WiFi dongles.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    It can be done, the setup and configuration has to be done via ssh session. I've sent instructions to some via pm. The biggest problem is that not all wifi chips support it. I've tested it with a rpi3 a few versions ago.
    Hi Paul

Would you be able to send instructions to me too please?

Cheers
    --Ian
    --ian

This sounds interesting. Could you either post the instructions here or send them to me directly?

Hi Paul,
    I would like to test the AP configuration on my installation.
    Would you be able to send the instructions to me too?
    Thank You
    moe

Seems this has become a hot topic again, let me make it a bit simpler to install. I should be able to do it this weekend.

I'm looking into this, progress isn't fast
    I want to have bridging as an option.

After looking at the boot process and the various bits activating dhcp, static, wifi, I'm thinking what is needed first is a stable naming scheme for the interfaces.

The current PCP uses udev v.174, so something like "70-persistent-net.rules" should be working.
    My rule is in a "netdevs.tcz" that is listed at the very end of onboot.lst.

It doesn't work; I've tried naming the file to "10-persistent-net.rules" but that doesn't help.
    When the boot process ends, if I shut all interfaces down, reload rules and trigger them, this time I get my interfaces renamed.

With TCL/PCP as it is, do I stand a chance of getting a custom rule taken into account at boot, or shall I wait for "normal" boot to end, nuke all networking and rename/restart it? (this option would work, obviously, but I find it messy.)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.