Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Possibilities for streaming from the new Neil Young Archives - Uses Orastream (DLNA?)

Moving thread from the Touch sub-forum:

I wonder if there is a way to stream the new Neil Young archives through LMS. The site is using OraStream for streaming hi-res or 320kbs to computers (not mobile devices, at least not yet). Free streaming through June 2018. Lots of cool stuff in the archive pages for Neil Young fans.
    http://www.neilyoungarchives.com/

Not familiar with OraStream so no clue if a plugin is even possible.
    http://www.orastream.com/

Their FAQ mentions that the server for orastream (BRIO) uses upnp and will be able to stream to some devices:
    "Music playback is interfaced externally to SONOS, DLNA, Chromecast Audio and BlueSound (available soon) hi-fi audio devices"

A few people have noted that they could stream through an Xbox-OneS. Maybe this is something that would work through one of @philippe_44's plugins?
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Possibilities for streaming from the newNeil Young Archives - Uses Orastream (DLNA?)

From what I understand (and NY's website isn't any helpful unless you
    sign in...) they want you to install some local piece of software. Maybe
    this could be used using UPnP or something. But I didn't see any sign of
    API which would allow for a tighter integration.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    From what I understand (and NY's website isn't any helpful unless you
    sign in...) they want you to install some local piece of software. Maybe
    this could be used using UPnP or something. But I didn't see any sign of
    API which would allow for a tighter integration.

--

Michael
    Thanks for looking Michael. I can't tell either. Once I login to the neilyoungarchives site, I can select and play music via my computer and its speakers. I didn't have to install any sort of add-on to my firefox browser.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

From ORAstream
    And with OraStreamĺs adaptive streaming, BRIO streams all your music at native resolution at the maximum available bandwidth.
    "adaptive streaming" - this terminology is typical of DASH & HLS (i.e lots of small http segments e.g. 3-6 secs in a playlist) - in which case for a browser there are Javascript players as part of the web page. Not sure how DLNA can handle it but it if requires an executable - then the payer is part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    From ORAstream

"adaptive streaming" - this terminology is typical of DASH & HLS (i.e lots of small http segments e.g. 3-6 secs in a playlist) - in which case for a browser there are Javascript players as part of the web page. Not sure how DLNA can handle it but it if requires an executable - then the payer is part of it.
    thanks for looking bpa. The only thing that gave me some tiny hope was the orastream FAQ statement that said "Music playback is interfaced externally to SONOS, DLNA, Chromecast Audio and BlueSound (available soon) hi-fi audio devices"

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    thanks for looking bpa. The only thing that gave me some tiny hope was the orastream FAQ statement that said "Music playback is interfaced externally to SONOS, DLNA, Chromecast Audio and BlueSound (available soon) hi-fi audio devices"
    Reading their FAQ it seems that their client, on a PC, will find the local renderers and then stream audio from the cloud (NYA in that case). So LMS will not be in control, this client is. I'd guess all you can do with LMS is use Andy' plugin that turns SB into UPnP/DLNA players. All what happens between the client and their cloud server seems to their proprietary stuff. Basically, I feel it's a proxy/bridge that transcode from various sources to standard clients and adapts the transcoding to actual BW
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Reading their FAQ it seems that their client, on a PC, will find the local renderers and then stream audio from the cloud (NYA in that case). So LMS will not be in control, this client is. I'd guess all you can do with LMS is use Andy' plugin that turns SB into UPnP/DLNA players. All what happens between the client and their cloud server seems to their proprietary stuff. Basically, I feel it's a proxy/bridge that transcode from various sources to standard clients and adapts the transcoding to actual BW
    makes sense. Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I feel it's a proxy/bridge that transcode from various sources to standard clients and adapts the transcoding to actual BW
    I didn't look too much into the network traffic of the Orsastream web site but it sets up some websockets - which I often associated with proxys.

edit:

Orastream forum seems to indicate it is a proprietary format see http://forum.orastream.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-12-03 at 08:22.