Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Reliable PSU Recommendations?

Had to replace the PSU on my SB3 Classic this morning. I bought three generic units the last time this happened, so fortunately I had two spares. I checked on Ebay to see when I bought them, and it was in January of 2017, so the replacement only lasted ten months (!!!).
    I'd like to buy another spare or two, and I'm wondering if anyone has found a brand/model that is more durable. Thanks in advance.
    Living Room: Squeezebox v3 (Wired), Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50, Paradigm SE center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 surrounds
    w/ Harmony 650 Smart Remote
    Dining Room: KEF Q100
    Anywhere Else As Needed: Boom
    Router: Asus RT-N56U
    Server: LMS Version 7.9, Dell Laptop, Windows 10 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    Had to replace the PSU on my SB3 Classic this morning. I bought three generic units the last time this happened, so fortunately I had two spares. I checked on Ebay to see when I bought them, and it was in January of 2017, so the replacement only lasted ten months (!!!).
    I'd like to buy another spare or two, and I'm wondering if anyone has found a brand/model that is more durable. Thanks in advance.
    I would recommend to stop chasing for "SB3 PSUs". Things have changed and by now 5V 2.4A is commonly delivered by "fast" or "iPad" USB chargers.
    Then for the USB-DC 5.5/2.5 barrel cable, I have seen some (did not mention where the positive pin was...) but perhaps the DIY option is safer/easier.
    Another option is a Raspberry Pi PSU, the official one delivers 5V/2.5A sustained and comes with a fairly long cable. It is quite inexpensive I think, but YMMV. Cut the microUSB plug and replace it with a DC barrel plug and you're done.

HTH
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2017-11-25 at 07:12.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

If you have a POE switch then you could use a POE splitter
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    If you have a POE switch then you could use a POE splitter
    This looks interesting. So using this setup, the power is supplied to the SB3 through the ethernet cable? No fussing with splicing wires or plugs? Thanks.
    Living Room: Squeezebox v3 (Wired), Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50, Paradigm SE center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    This looks interesting. So using this setup, the power is supplied to the SB3 through the ethernet cable? No fussing with splicing wires or plugs? Thanks.
    It will need two more short cat5 cables if using a POE injector one if you have a POE switch.

The only thing you'll need to check is the power cable supplied with the POE splitter has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector for the SB3 power
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2017-11-27 at 03:23. Reason: Corrected CAT5 cables needed
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

I've used and trusted RS Components here in the UK both for many, many years.

Their own brand product Number 726-2836 is a professional grade 5V 4.0A supply at quite a reasonable price.
    Not sure it has the right connector for the SB3 though ("2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive")?
    And a 3 year warranty.

I have this model in my spares bin but can't remember to what use I put it. (possibly Wandboard)

I always feel more comfortable when the specification has some current overhead in the hope that it will run cooler and last longer.

There must be a similar professional grade supplier in the USA
    Music Store: Synology DS215J NAS
    Home Server/Player:
    LMS 7.9.1 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22 Server/IQAudio DAC+/Amp+
    Portable Server/Player: LMS 7.9.1 on HP-DV2700 Laptop/Ubuntu 17.10 with synced music drive.
    Homeplug LAN Players: Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22/HDMI/Jivelite, Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC
    UPNP Wifi Players: Chromecast Audio/Video, Revo Super-Connect Radio, GGMM-E5 portable
    VPN Player: SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison

You need 5.5/2.5 center pin positive, length 11mm for an SB2 or SB3
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Don’t Logitech still sell them? They did so fairly recently
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Many thanks to the international community. I'm going to look into this POE thing. Wish me luck.