Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Streaming primer - defining and fitting the pieces together

I use LMS 7.7.5 on a PC connected to a router that transmits WIFI to a SB Touch. I have mainly played music files from an external drive attached to the PC, but have played some predefined radio stations. I would like to be able to stream CD quality files from the internet, but don't understand what is needed to make this work. Are there specific plug-ins for each service like TIDAL, Qobaz and Deezer? Once configured how are the services selected and how are the options for playing music viewed and selected? Additional software needed like Squeezelite? I also use Squeeze Commander on an Android phone. Could the services be accessed through this?

Generally unclear about how of the different pieces fit together

Also, is it possible to use the SB Touch to receive streamed files from a server other than LMS? Appreciate any help provided!!

Streaming primer - defining andfitting the pieces together

> would like to be able to stream CD quality files from the internet, but
    > don't understand what is needed to make this work. Are there specific
    > plug-ins for each service like TIDAL, Qobaz and Deezer? Once configured

Most services are available to any player. All these three are available
    to your Touch. But you'll need a subscription from them. Go to
    mysqueezebox.com, add and configure the service of your choice, and it
    should be available to you.

--

Michael

If you would like to use Tidal lossless streaming, go to Tidal and setup a lossless streaming account.
    If you are not already using mysb.com (or don't want to), go into the Setting section of LMS from the main web display and go to plug-ins and check the Tidal Plug-in box. Then fill in your account information. Once finished, you can use Tidal from your SB Touch in three ways. From the Touch, go to Apps and click Tidal to search and add songs to play or build a play list. From the LMS web page, scroll down to Apps and open the Tidal app. Then use the Tidal menus to search and add music to the Player selected in the Right LMS Web Pane. One can also use most LMS smart phone apps by also opening the Tidal app inside the app menu of the LMS App on the phone.

Tidal has true lossless streaming (for an additional cost). I believe that Spotify, Qobuz, and Deezer also offer lossless streaming. Most streaming services charge a premium for lossless streaming. Additionally, make sure you set/check the correct box in the services user setting so that you are in fact streaming lossless. For the streaming services it is ALL about bandwidth so their default settings are usually for the lowest quality setting (least bandwidth used) no matter what quality streaming level one is paying for. My neighbor has Tidal Premium and his Squeezebox Touch was showing MP3 quality with his Tidal Premium account. He had not set is user settings in Tidal to HiFi. Lastly on some services not all content is available in lossless so a favorite song might show at MP3 128 or 320 Kbps, in other words, better to have it available at less then lossless then not at all.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    If you would like to use Tidal lossless streaming, go to Tidal and setup a lossless streaming account.
    If you are not already using mysb.com (or don't want to), go into the Setting section of LMS from the main web display and go to plug-ins and check the Tidal Plug-in box. Then fill in your account information. Once finished, you can use Tidal from your SB Touch in three ways. From the Touch, go to Apps and click Tidal to search and add songs to play or build a play list. From the LMS web page, scroll down to Apps and open the Tidal app. Then use the Tidal menus to search and add music to the Player selected in the Right LMS Web Pane. One can also use most LMS smart phone apps by also opening the Tidal app inside the app menu of the LMS App on the phone.

Tidal has true lossless streaming (for an additional cost). I believe that Spotify, Qobuz, and Deezer also offer lossless streaming. Most streaming services charge a premium for lossless streaming. Additionally, make sure you set/check the correct box in the services user setting so that you are in fact streaming lossless. For the streaming services it is ALL about bandwidth so their default settings are usually for the lowest quality setting (least bandwidth used) no matter what quality streaming level one is paying for. My neighbor has Tidal Premium and his Squeezebox Touch was showing MP3 quality with his Tidal Premium account. He had not set is user settings in Tidal to HiFi. Lastly on some services not all content is available in lossless so a favorite song might show at MP3 128 or 320 Kbps, in other words, better to have it available at less then lossless then not at all.
    Spotify don't (currently) do a lossless service. Their "High Quality" offering is 320kbps Ogg.
    Tidal & Quboz offer lossless. I am not sure about Deezer.
    I don't wish to start an argument but "most" people can't tell the difference between 320kbps Ogg / MP3 and FLAC. You have to have good equipment and better ears to do so.
    (You can easily tell the difference at lower kbps rates)
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng