Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Since i am not using id3v1 tags for a looong time - i cant reproduce the issue.

Please
    Code:
     apt-get install id3v2
    and go to one of the folders and test one of the files:

Code:
    id3v2 -l filename.mp3
    please compare these both fields:
    They look the same:
    Code:
    id3v1 tag info for 06.Mission.mp3:
    Title  : Mission                         Artist: Chris Cornell                 
    Album  : Euphoria Morning                Year: 1999, Genre: Alternative (20)
    Comment:                                 Track: 6
    id3v2 tag info for 06.Mission.mp3:
    COMM (Comments): ()[eng]: 
    TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Mission
    TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 6
    TYER (Year): 1999
    PRIV (Private frame):  (unimplemented)
    TPUB (Publisher): Interscope
    TCON (Content type): Alternative (20)
    TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Euphoria Morning
    TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment): Chris Cornell
    MCDI (Music CD identifier):  (unimplemented)
    TCOM (Composer): Alain Johannes/Chris Cornell/Natasha Shneider
    TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Chris Cornell
    TLEN (Length): 245146

I probably shouldn't jump in as I can't even imagine having to go through the effort for 90,000 tracks (I have 25,000 tracks and that gets to be a handful with similar efforts).

But a couple of things I note. MP3Tag on its main windows doesn't show all the tags that are there. If you click on any file and then hit (Alt-T I think), you get a view of all the tags in a particular file not just the ones shown on the main window.

Additionally, for MP3's, I find having both ID3 v1 and ID3 v2.3 tracks is problematic. I removed all the ID3 v1 from my files at some point, and that helped immensely. It's amazing how many times tags can be corrupted by having both.

I think once you have the ID3 v2.3 only, you would be able to get a more consistent output of data, especially if your collection is 99% there. I'm sure it is still overwhelming with that many tracks.

In terms of tackling your whole collection, one of the ways I quickly assess my tags is actually using MediaMonkey, which is my main file manager for audio.

In Media Monkey, I've used a plug-in called "MagicNodes" to create some queries and menu items by various tags. It has a simple user interface, but at it's heart is SQL based. Once a node is set up, I can quickly browse and visually see when things are out of place.

My library is also 99.9% there (I'm pretty certain 100% isn't actually possible due to things like ASCII, etc). But I've created queries that give me a list of albums in the form "Album Artist - Album", which quickly showed me when a "duplicate" entry popped up because of spelling, etc.

I'm not sure about the folder side of it (i.e. truly duplicate files), but MediaMonkey lets me see number of tracks, and when I've had files in two places, the album shows that it has every track twice (or by summarizing the number of tracks, I can see when they are there twice... e.g. a 10-track album shows up as 20-tracks).

Ultimately, everything becomes a bit brute force. I'm not gutsy or experienced enough to create a script / ai to do this on its own.

Thanks for the suggestions. Getting rid of the ID3V1 tags sounds like a good idea. Would mp3tag be the best tool to use for that?

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Getting rid of the ID3V1 tags sounds like a good idea. Would mp3tag be the best tool to use for that?
    I dont think so - i dont like mp3tag for some tasks...

Code:
    find ./ -name *.mp3 -exec eyeD3 --remove-v1 --preserve-file-times {} \;
    should be (AFAIK) better cause you only run it once for a track. mp3tag only runs on a bunch of files and i found some files arent changed.
    running something like eyeD3 for only one single file is IMHO "better"...

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    I dont think so - i dont like mp3tag for some tasks...

Code:
    find ./ -name *.mp3 -exec eyeD3 --remove-v1 --preserve-file-times {} \;
    should be (AFAIK) better cause you only run it once for a track. mp3tag only runs on a bunch of files and i found some files arent changed.
    running something like eyeD3 for only one single file is IMHO "better"...
    Is there a version of that code that will run on all of my mp3 folders and subfolders? (I have up to 90,000+ tracks which may require it).
    Alternatively, how could I generate a command file which would identify all tracks which currently have ID3V1 tags and only execute the removal command on those tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    Is there a version of that code that will run on all of my mp3 folders and subfolders? (I have up to 90,000+ tracks which may require it).
    Alternatively, how could I generate a command file which would identify all tracks which currently have ID3V1 tags and only execute the removal command on those tracks?
    the command find is always recursive.
    but you better use it like:
    Code:
    find ./ -type f -name "*.mp3" -exec eyeD3 --remove-v1 --preserve-file-times {} \;
    A simple commandline for your other task is quite tricky and stupid
    if eyed3 should remove a non existend v1 tag - it doesnt do anything to the file.
    If you want to discover first all your files with v1 tags you'll need to run (whatever) twice to each file.

Sorry to butt in.... I run LMS 7.9 in Docker on a QNAP NAS and I have approx 140k MP3 files.
    I too decided to clean out all tags, remove unnecessary tags, perform volume leveling, delete all APE tagging etc. etc.
    After a lot of trial and error, using MediaMonkey, ID3Tag and many others, I ended up with Foobar2000.
    It is less user friendly at times, but the gain is its extreme power, speed and ability to perform on huge libraries.
    Most basic commands are readily available from the default UI, and with a bit of scripting knowledge, you can make it do almost anything for you.

Give it a try.
    QNAP TS-453Mini 4x3TB RAID5 QTS 4.3.4
    LMS 7.9.1 running in Docker
    Madsonic 6.2 running in Docker
    Plex running in Docker

QNAP HS-251 2x2TB RAID0, QTS 4.3.4
    Kodi 16.1 Jarvis

QNAP TS-119 1TB Single, QTS 4.3.3
    Almost Retired

Quote Originally Posted by oyvindo View Post
    Sorry to butt in.... I run LMS 7.9 in Docker on a QNAP NAS and I have approx 140k MP3 files.
    I too decided to clean out all tags, remove unnecessary tags, perform volume leveling, delete all APE tagging etc. etc.
    After a lot of trial and error, using MediaMonkey, ID3Tag and many others, I ended up with Foobar2000.
    It is less user friendly at times, but the gain is its extreme power, speed and ability to perform on huge libraries.
    Most basic commands are readily available from the default UI, and with a bit of scripting knowledge, you can make it do almost anything for you.

Give it a try.
    Is it possible to perform large scale batch operations using Foobar2000? I've had a quick look at the website and I only saw reference to being able to select/edit multiple files from a playlist. I really wanted something that could trawl through 90,000 tracks and execute a script on them. Is that possible?

Yes, of course - that's it's main purpose!
    QNAP TS-453Mini 4x3TB RAID5 QTS 4.3.4
    LMS 7.9.1 running in Docker
    Madsonic 6.2 running in Docker
    Plex running in Docker

QNAP HS-251 2x2TB RAID0, QTS 4.3.4
    Kodi 16.1 Jarvis

QNAP TS-119 1TB Single, QTS 4.3.3
    Almost Retired