Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    Are you REALLY going to make me get off my behind to go downstairs and look? FINE!

It's an Acer A501 from several years back.

During the little bit that I fooled around with it I never heard any problems with normal stereo or mono audio, but any attempt to play DTS or AC-3 produced only white noise.

As I type this, I'm using it to drive some reasonable headphones and it sounds just fine.
    Your exertions are very much appreciated on this chilly Sunday evening ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    I was wondering whether there any obvious pitfalls to using an Android tablet as an alternative to a Squeezebox (to feed into a stereo amplifier)? Obviously the quality of the audio hardware would be important, but are there any other issues which would make an Android tablet a less-than-ideal squeezebox? For example, would the Squeeze Player (or equiavalent) app need to be restarted from time to time (i.e. would the Android O/S close unused apps periodically)? Anything else that would need to be considered?
    I've used a Nexus 7 (2103 edition) with an external DAC connected via USB on-the-go. I have the Asus dock for the Nexus 7 that provides both a micro-usb connection (power, OTG) and micro-HDMI connection. That provides a lot of options for output.
    Michael Graves

House: SB3, M-Audio BX5As
    Home Office: SB3, M-Audio BX5A D2, Berhringer B2092A subwoofer
    Workshop: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, Alesis ProLinear 820s, JBL subwoofer
    Back Yard: SB3, Dayton Amp, Definitive Tech AW6500s
    Front Yard: SB3, SMSL Q5 Amp, Definitive Tech AW5500s
    SqueezeCenter on FreeNAS Mini with 10 TB

email: mgraves <at> mstvp.com
    blog: http://www.mgraves.org

Quote Originally Posted by mgraves View Post
    I've used a Nexus 7 (2103 edition) with an external DAC connected via USB on-the-go. I have the Asus dock for the Nexus 7 that provides both a micro-usb connection (power, OTG) and micro-HDMI connection. That provides a lot of options for output.
    That's interesting. Which Squeezeplayer app do you run on the Nexus, and have you found a way to have the app running permanently, so that it's always available to the LMS server?

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    That's interesting. Which Squeezeplayer app do you run on the Nexus, and have you found a way to have the app running permanently, so that it's always available to the LMS server?
    The motivation was the fact that my older SB3s were losing their analog outputs to capacitor failure.

https://www.mgraves.org/2015/04/hunt...xt-squeezebox/

I have tried several experiments:
    • At my primary listening location I bought a Schiit Modi Uber DAC to avoid the analog output stage.
    • In another case, I bought a SMSL DAC/amp combination to drive outdoor speakers.
    • In a third case, I used the Nexus 7 in the dock, running SqueezePlay and SqueezeCtl.
    • In a last case, I recycled a netbook to run Linux and SqueezePlay. It's no longer in service.

I didn't bother with trying to make the apps run automatically.

Most recently (literally this week) I upgraded my Raspberry Pi3 with a HiFiBerry Pro DAC with balanced XLR outputs. This is nice because my all speakers are semi-pro powered monitors with XLR inputs.

It runs PiCorePlayer. Going forward, I think this is my preferred way to replace SB3s. I'm ok with running SqueezeCtrl on my phone or tablet to have remote control. No need for IR.
    Last edited by mgraves; 2018-02-01 at 15:08. Reason: add point
    Michael Graves

House: SB3, M-Audio BX5As
    Home Office: SB3, M-Audio BX5A D2, Berhringer B2092A subwoofer
    Workshop: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, Alesis ProLinear 820s, JBL subwoofer
    Back Yard: SB3, Dayton Amp, Definitive Tech AW6500s
    Front Yard: SB3, SMSL Q5 Amp, Definitive Tech AW5500s
    SqueezeCenter on FreeNAS Mini with 10 TB

email: mgraves <at> mstvp.com
    blog: http://www.mgraves.org