Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

My Transporter has gotten into a boot loop

It worked yesterday. Today it keeps displaying the Logitech screen, tries to connect, but immediately starts over again.

I tried the factory reset and the xilink reset, and now I just get a clicking relay, about once a second until I pull the power plug.
    Help please!
    Last edited by jarome; 2017-11-09 at 13:29.

Oh, sorry to read that! Hope we all can help you.

How is your Transporter connected to your network? WiFi or Ethernet?
    To me your fault description sounds like the WiFi card might fail as it is initializing, and it's such a hard fault that it causes the CPU to reboot. WiFi cards are known for failing. Not so much in the Transporter but as this is a regular issue in the Classic and Boom units, why should the precious Transporter be spared?

My approach would be this:

• open the Transporter and look for obvious issues like excessive heat (IR camera is a great help here), burnt components, unlit LEDs (there are four, three of which are permanently on by default, and one flashing along with infrared commands coming in)
    • try to remove the Wi-Fi card that is inserted on top of the CPU board
    • restart the Transporter after that (with the Wi-Fi card removed and isolated). This will produce error messages and force the Transporter into Ethernet connection of course, so you should be able to connect it via Ethernet wire for this period. But if the device starts up at all, that's a really good sign
    • if not, do some voltage measurements to ensure that all voltages are present (I had a Transporter here for repair very recently where one of the transformers had failed!)
    • reseat the CPU board which requires tearing almost the whole thing down. The mainboard needs to be lifted out because the CPU board is bolted down and undoing the screw will cause a metal nut on the other side to go rogue. You don't want to keep it at that.

There are tons of more tests one could do if all this does not lead anywhere. But some lab equipment is definitely required then.
    Depending on where you are located, I could offer you to take a look. I have a Transporter myself that I regularly use for comparison of voltages etc., and some general experience around Squeezeboxes, too. Saved three Transporters already. Inside the EU the shipping is not a big deal. Outside - a lot more precarious but still possible.
    Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    7x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (two waiting for repair)
    1x Radio

I use hard-wired ethernet

Alas, I think something died. Where is the relay that is clicking? Mechanical things go.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    There are tons of threads on this. It's the PSU, which can be easily replaced.
    Thank you so much! It was the power supply, and it was easy to replace once I found a tiny allen wrench to remove the case screws. It took just 3 days to get a replacement supply from England.

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    Thank you so much! It was the power supply, and it was easy to replace once I found a tiny allen wrench to remove the case screws. It took just 3 days to get a replacement supply from England.

If it was'nt for this fantastic forum, many would have scrapped their exellent Transporters. I have two extra power supplies in my desk, when the time comes for one of my beloved Transporters.
    I have one from 2009 still running fine, and one I purchased used which I do not know the exaclty age of. But both still fine
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Receiver - S.M.S.L DAC, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Office: Transporter, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe