Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardoo View Post
    If I get an lower end NUC or other barebone PC (which hopefully would have better performance than a pi, but not much bigger or more power hungry) with no preinstalled OS, what's the best way to put a running LMS 7.9 into it?

Thanks.
    I've never used it, but Vortexbox might be an option.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I've never used it, but Vortexbox might be an option.

Robert
    I have used Vortexbox but if your machine doesn't have a CD drive there isn't really a massive benefit over other brands of Linux. An Intel NUC is IMHO a bit overkill. A dedicated Pi3 with files on a NAS will do the job fine.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Have a look here https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=135263

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8441 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cadster View Post
    Have a look here https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=135263

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8441 met Tapatalk
    Interesting.
    The funky thing is that the issues everyone had happened since QTS4.3. The thread says 4.2 and higher. wonder what that implies.

Thanks a lot. I'll look around and see if there's any more info as well.

A NUC or similar is a PC so you put an OS your comfortable handling on it .

But performance wise some Linux like Debian, Ubuntu ,Mint 18 ?

I took a different route I used VMware esxi and runs a virtual Linux mint and two virtual NAS on my NUC .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Just chiming in because I had the same question/issue..
    I was unable to update to LMS 7.9 on my qnap NAS and someone over there suggested a raspberry pi. Since I had one lying around I tried it out and it works flawlessly.
    I use a first gen Rpi with Max2Play. It's a plug and play solution on the most under powered pi available.
    Chose which version LMS Server you want, point it to your NAS' music library and you're on. Nightly updates are almost automatic (2 clicks).
    Do give it a try, it's risk free, if you don't like it you can use it as a player in a less-used room.

SirHades

Another vote for going with the Pi here

I still have my Qnaps, really stuck with them because of Squeezebox Server

The Pi still uses them as the storage, works magic, and with the Spotty App, Spotify works great as well

Since using the Pi, I have allowed them (the Qnaps) all to do their updates and LMS has gone ....... on them

Quote Originally Posted by PHAZBLADE View Post
    Another vote for going with the Pi here

I still have my Qnaps, really stuck with them because of Squeezebox Server

The Pi still uses them as the storage, works magic, and with the Spotty App, Spotify works great as well

Since using the Pi, I have allowed them (the Qnaps) all to do their updates and LMS has gone ....... on them
    For me the hassle of updating LMS via SSOTS was the main reason I switched to using a Pi3 as a server. Oh, and the fact that periodically the QNAP system updates would break LMS. And the fact that SSOTS is no longer maintained (and there was that Bash vulnerability). Also, using the Pi means that I can use Spotty.

The versatility of the Squeezebox system continues to impress. At home I have a Touch, two Radios and two Raspberry Pi players streamed from LMS running on a Raspberry Pi3 with the music library on a QNAP NAS. In my office I have LMS running on a Western Digital WiFi enabled Passport 2Tb drive, with a Raspberry Pi as a player. All my Raspberry Pi devices are using piCorePlayer, and all work very well.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Just to let everyone know, a poster on qnap forum by the name of freaksat put out a beta lms 7.9.1 qpkg that seems to do without ssots. I tried it and it seems to work so far.
    https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=136920

Quote Originally Posted by eduardoo View Post
    Just to let everyone know, a poster on qnap forum by the name of freaksat put out a beta lms 7.9.1 qpkg that seems to do without ssots. I tried it and it seems to work so far.
    https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=136920
    Hi Eduardoo does this package work with spotty and Youtube?