Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Debian package fails to run

I upgraded today from a debian build that was 6 months old to the most recent build (Oct 25th)

LMS fails to start.

The debian package no longer installs on a upto date version of Ubuntu?
    It this expected?
    There appears to be an expectation that I have to compile perl/CPAN from source again?

Surely were are not back to those bad old days?
    Last edited by bullgod; 2017-10-28 at 17:12.

Well, yeah. Can't prevent Ubuntu from upgrading perl, and you can't ship LMS with a version of perl embedded that hasn't yet been broadly released, at least not until it does release anyway.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Well, yeah. Can't prevent Ubuntu from upgrading perl, and you can't ship LMS with a version of perl embedded that hasn't yet been broadly released, at least not until it does release anyway.

Why not?

Either you stick with the trailing edge and write LMS to be 5.8 compliant. Or if that isn't palatable, then choose a version of perl you are happy with and bundle that in with the deb.

If the only release cycle is a series of nightly builds then bundle everything that its required and you avoid a moving target. OR have stable releases, if you provide package bundle they should work out of the box.

This isn't Ubuntu's problem - I've not upgraded Ubuntu. I've moved from LMS 7.9.0 to 7.9.1.
    A published deb file and a point version upgrade shouldn't break.

Quote Originally Posted by bullgod View Post
    Why not?

Either you stick with the trailing edge and write LMS to be 5.8 compliant.
    Perl 5.8 is 15 Years old !?!!

Where did you get lms?
    Where did you get perl 5.8?

LMS 7.9.x works on a stable up2date Debian.

a quote from a Ubuntu User who claims to be god:
    A published deb file and a point version upgrade shouldn't break.
    "Hńtte hńtte Fahradkette"
    *scnr*
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2017-10-29 at 03:37.

Didn't say it was Ubuntu's problem. They upgrade, you have to upgrade. The LMS already ships with huge blobs of precompiled code supporting many different versions of perl, that's the main reason it's huge in the first place. One more required (two if people want i386 aswell).

You are welcome to tell the devs what they have been missing all these years, or step in to do it yourself...

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Surely were are not back to those bad old days?
    LMS is now officially community supported. Logitech provides some resources to build and hosts new release but it is only one person who has other responsibilties. Also some of the build system are now getting a bit unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Didn't say it was Ubuntu's problem. They upgrade, you have to upgrade. The LMS already ships with huge blobs of precompiled code supporting many different versions of perl, that's the main reason it's huge in the first place. One more required (two if people want i386 aswell).

You are welcome to tell the devs what they have been missing all these years, or step in to do it yourself...

So why not bundle it up with a single version of perl and save the support grief?

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Perl 5.8 is 15 Years old !?!!

Where did you get lms?
    Where did you get perl 5.8?

LMS 7.9.x works on a stable up2date Debian.

a quote from a Ubuntu User who claims to be god:

"Hńtte hńtte Fahradkette"
    *scnr*
    perl 5.8 was an example, chosen as the debian package attempts to go that far back. I'd be happier with the latest supported.
    lms was Oct 25th official release

And I beg to differ that it works on up2date ubuntu. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

So why not bundle it up with a single version of perl and save the support grief?
    Bundle the entire perl interpreter? This is the kind of tactic people have to use for java where it's "write once run nowhere", but perl is totally compatible you just have to compile the LMS libraries (so its that bit that *will* be bundled, when it's done).

Perhaps you would be happier with a Sonos setup where you would have a support organisation to complain at when it's not how you want it to be?

--

perl 5.8 was an example, chosen as the debian package attempts to go that far back. I'd be happier with the latest supported.
    lms was Oct 25th official release

And I beg to differ that it works on up2date ubuntu. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.
    Hi,

perl 5.8 was an example???
    Why didnt you ask for the real deal not for an example?
    Why didnt you answer our questions?
    I am absolute happy with my lms on a up2date debian and lms is newer than 25th october.

again - if you want to get help answer the explicit asked questions otherwise buy a sonos and gth.