Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BitPerfect

Talking about "bitperfect", I would like to ask a question to you.

If we take different devices labeled as "bitperfect", I suppose that there should not be any difference among them.
    I mean... no difference in the bitstream delivered...
    is this sentence correct?

Since I am playing around this matters since years, some days ago i got an OTG USB cable and connected my DACs to a Sony Experia Z1 Android smartphone where I installed "USB Audio Player PRO".
    Everything is played from a NAS and it works well even with my 352 kHz \ 24 bit FLAC with no problems.

The question is: what could be the difference between an Android smartphone running USB Audio Player Pro and pCP and a PC running Jriver or any other high-end multi k$$$ streamer?
    If bitperfect is bitperfect... there shuld be no difference at all (speaking about bitstream and not other features), or not?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    Talking about "bitperfect", I would like to ask a question to you.

If we take different devices labeled as "bitperfect", I suppose that there should not be any difference among them.
    I mean... no difference in the bitstream delivered...
    is this sentence correct?

Since I am playing around this matters since years, some days ago i got an OTG USB cable and connected my DACs to a Sony Experia Z1 Android smartphone where I installed "USB Audio Player PRO".
    Everything is played from a NAS and it works well even with my 352 kHz \ 24 bit FLAC with no problems.

The question is: what could be the difference between an Android smartphone running USB Audio Player Pro and pCP and a PC running Jriver or any other high-end multi k$$$ streamer?
    If bitperfect is bitperfect... there shuld be no difference at all (speaking about bitstream and not other features), or not?

thanks.
    Correct they will deliver the exact same bit stream they will also sound the same unless one of the sources is seriusly broken or the DAC is very shoddily built . Now devout audiophiles starts to talk about ôjitterö etc as a factor .....

Jriver is decent software and does not claim any magic features , but there are other fake software like amarra and audio optimiser , that claims to optimise your pc for audio playback , beware
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Regarding jitter, since almost all DACs today are internally reclocked, it should not be a matter of the source\streamer.

Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    Regarding jitter, since almost all DACs today are internally reclocked, it should not be a matter of the source\streamer.

Correct?
    Not really , and the levels of jitter claimed in most data for almost anything is still 1000' of timesbelow whats considered audible ..
    So even if source jitter do affect even reclocked in a very minute ways , you can measure I think , think about it as a fillter , but still it does not get audible even if can show the effect .

Thats totally eliminated by for example asynchronus USB or ethernet direct to the streamer (also async comunication ) .

Then you have electrical noise etc thats alos claimed to do "harm" .

I'm no longer a believer in this myself so i'm in agrrement really ( i has been a devout believer in all kind of audiphool nonsense ) .

But its really down to cluthing at straws arguments to justife an imaged difference "heard" trough uncontrolled non blind testing aka your are not even wrong as no real information cuts above the noise
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html