Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

2 Radios, three classics. Old Macbook, Raspberry PI 2. How to play Spotify?

Hi guys!

I bought my first SB3 in 2004 or 2005. Used Windows Home Server and LMS. But for many years now, the SB's have been stored away and some simple to setup Philips players have been used with Spotify.

But, today I dug out the 2 radios and three SB3/Classics and thought I'd try them again.

So what do I need in order to play Spotify on them? Do I have to have LMS installed on a PC/Mac (I have an old MBP)? I was hoping not. But if I need to, is there any chance I can use a Raspberry Pi 2? And how do I minimize bandwidth, with good quality sound? Because I hate dropouts/pauses, which the 2.4MHz Philips players does, and so did the SB3/Classic/Radios when using the Cloud-service by SlimDevices/Logitech.

speaking of sound quality, how does these devices fare nowadays compared to eg Denon Heos, Sonos and Blue....-something? I.e. connected to a separate amp.

/Niclas, still a noob

2 Radios, three classics. Old Macbook,Raspberry PI 2. How to play Spotify?

> So what do I need in order to play Spotify on them? Do I have to have
    > LMS installed on a PC/Mac (I have an old MBP)?

Yes, LMS needs to be running to get Spotify working. LMS can run on your
    PC or MBP, or on a Raspberry Pi.

--

Michael

Hi Niclas,

If you want to use the Raspberry Pi 2 for Spotify, you can use mherger's great LMS plugin Spotty.

I cannot speak to the overall quality of Squeezeboxes, but the Pi has some great HAT sound card's, especially DAC's for a direct connection to dedicated Amplifiers. You can check out our comparison chart of them to get an overview.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 (previously I used a model 2) as an LMS server with the Spotty plugin - I'm using piCorePlayer. There is a load of information in the Linux/Unix forum here, plus a growing help page at http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/main_howto.shtml

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Thanks guys!

I did install LMS 7.9.1 on my MacBook Pro, but I can't find the Spotty app, even though I used the correct XML. Only a helper app.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by nicky6 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I did install LMS 7.9.1 on my MacBook Pro, but I can't find the Spotty app, even though I used the correct XML. Only a helper app.

/Niclas
    LMS webGUI > Settings (lower right side), plugins tab, then you should scroll down to the Spotty plugin. Make sure "show 3rd party plugins" option is ticked on that page.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

duh... after I'd pasted the XML, I looked directly above it. I didn't know it was already in the third party apps. Yes, found it. Thanks. Embarrassed