Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Run w/o database?

I could have sworn the original versions of the SLIMP3 server didn't employ a database. Later versions implemented a database but I could have sworn you could disable it. I was looking for a way to disable in these nightly builds and I'm not finding it.

Why would I want to? Well, I keep things pretty organized and don't have a ton of stuff in any folder, and performance would be fine I think if the server had to scan files in a folder when I opened it.

But I do tend to move things around from time to time, and adding or removing or moving folders seems to really through the server for a loop. If I add a folder I can experience a quite long delay before anything is displayed, when that new folder is "found" during me navigating around in my music.

My music collection is rather small and runs on an SSD, so I'd just as soon (if possible) browse the folders w/o a database. I never use the search feature, either.

Can it be done?

Doubt it. But if you use the ‚Disks and folders‘ menu in LMS 7.9.1 you get a folders menu that’s not scanned to the library so it’s quite fast. That’s probably what you are looking for
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Squeezebox without database must have been really, really early days. I think v3 added scanning (can't find v2), but keeping all of the data in memory only. Actually that wasn't even Squeezebox days yet, but SliMP3 only.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SliMP3_Server_v1.0/ - it's only 14k of code :-)

I do indeed have a 7.9 dev branch here which would accept a new --nolibrary startup parameter:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-26 um 05.48.45.png
Views: 109
Size:  68.4 KB

The idea I had was to have a simple server which would replace mysb.com for users who don't care about local music, but needed a server to run a plugin to support their favorite streaming service. It still has a database file so far, but wouldn't run a scan, or store the music information in there. But what people (like you, too!) care about is that there's no music folder scan, no music folder requirement etc. The music folder setting here is more of a favorite entry point to browsing the disk.

Any thoughts? Is this something I should follow up with?

I guess this would require some work on iPeng et al. side. iPeng currently would show me Artists & Genres, but not albums, playlists or others.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

It would be good if that was something which could be identified right from the server connection. Like in the http header identification or so.
    iPeng generally now supports servers without library menu entries, something I introduced for Roon, but it needs to know this early and it’s also not reliable, yet, I do have complaints by Roon users who still get the menus.

This is probably iPeng-specific though. I guess most controller Apps probably either rely on the main menu structure or hard code it all, the former would probably have no problems, the latter probably won’t support it ...
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Run w/o database?

> iPeng generally now supports servers without library menu entries,
    > something I introduced for Roon, but it needs to know this early and
    > it’s also not reliable, yet, I do have complaints by Roon users who
    > still get the menus.

What do they send? I could use the same.

One of the menu items I mentioned is one of the quick access items at
    the bottom. Would that make a difference?

--

Michael

Well, they identify as Roon and not as Logitech Media Server
    And you should not use the same because that would actually disable all browsing in iPeng...
    But if the version string that is submitted on connection would contain some kind of information that no library is available, that would be great.

That said ... somehow supplying this information in the server status might work as well, have to look up the code how I handle this.
    I load a different server subclass on certain occasions (Roon, MySB, Daphile), using a separate one for a server without library would probably be the way to go but all these other examples identify in their connect string.

Tab bar items doesn’t maltet as long as you don’t change the order while connected to the limited server, iPeng just skips over missing items and uses the next one instead.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com