Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Two instances of Picoreplayer each on a RPI Zero W as left and right speakers

Hi All!

Is it possible, to use two instances of the PiCoreplayer on RPI Zero Ws as a left and right speaker?
    I want to build two independent speakers each with its power supply and a RPI Zero W.

Or would it be better to build a single, bigger speaker for every room?

Thanks
    DomCa

Quote Originally Posted by DomCa View Post
    Is it possible, to use two instances of the PiCoreplayer on RPI Zero Ws as a left and right speaker?
    I want to build two independent speakers each with its power supply and a RPI Zero W.
    It is possible, but I doubt the synchronization between the channels is good enough.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by DomCa View Post
    Hi All!

Or would it be better to build a single, bigger speaker for every room?

Thanks
    DomCa
    Hi DomCA,
    Technically it is possible, and I have experimented with that setup for a while.
    Synchronisation over WIFI is not tight enough to enjoy the true benefits of stereo. ( for me anyway )
    I did revert to a cable between the 2 speaker locations and feed them from 1 Pi and 1 DAC with 2 amplified channels.
    The option with wired ethernet would need 2 longer cables, and was rejected, so I have no experience with wired synchronisation.

If it is for convenience and party like setup, you can also opt for multiple mono players .
    See : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ossible-in-LMS .

If stereo isn't your true goal, but you do not want to lose it completely , you can put 2 smaller drivers into 1 enclosure just like many BT speakers.
    Then the mono mixdown will be automagically in the air surrounding the drivers. But if you are really in the sweetspot you will stil have a bit of stereo
    There are amped DAC's you can attach to your zero. And they will give you 2 speaker channels anyway.
    I assume you can still use the PCP mono tweak and output over 2 channels.

Depending on the amount of power you need, you could settle for 2 times 3 Watt D amps as found in the "phat beat" ( Google it yourself ).
    It will create a small package and you can even run it from a battery setup if needed.
    I am quite pleased with the performance of small D amps in combination with off the shelve speakers.

Be aware that the RPI3 and Zero-W onboard Wifi isn't the most stable solution in PCP.
    Add a 3 Euro well supported USB device and wait till the driver issue is resolved over the next years.

Greetz M-H