Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KRACK attacks

As long as KRACK cannot see Pre-Shared WPA2 password then I am not worrying. Furthermore, both WiFi access point and client have to be unpatched for this hack to work.

... AND the attacker has to be both quicker and nearer to the end point to override the signal coming from your router. Long shot at best.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

So you folks in Apartments and Stacked Living are really the only ones that need to worry (next time you wake up in the middle of the night, look around to see which neighbors lights are on, that is probably the guy you need to worry about).
    Last edited by iPhone; 2017-10-21 at 12:42.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

You'd better watch out riding around with your Squeezebox Touches

Quote Originally Posted by eindgebruiker View Post
    You'd better watch out riding around with your Squeezebox Touches
    Guess I better remove the WiFi cards before somebody takes over my Thunderbird while I'm driving down the road!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Not the first time WPA2 has been cracked.

I like how this made the news but WPA2 was cracked by other methods long before this and one could be a block away to do them. The reasons this one bothers me even less is because they have to be awfully close to pull it off and the other reason is that I ALWAYS run my wireless lan on a different subnet than my lan with no access to the lan from the wlan. If I truly needed a secure wireless connection I would run my wireless in a VPN tunnel across the wireless link. The Opera browser has a VPN widget built in and is very handy while traveling with a laptop.

I use wired connections as much as possible and only do so with my Squeeze ecosystem. I would never have thought to expose my server via a wireless link. I only use wireless to stream movies over a roku or stream internet radio as neither of those need access to my lan.

It puzzles me why people are just now worried about security over wifi, it never really existed without VPN

Itĺs just not very convenient to not use wireless remote control. The most important reason to use a Squeezebox for many users.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Davesworld View Post
    It puzzles me why people are just now worried about security over wifi, it never really existed without VPN

Probably because it never really made the news plus it was the "Topic de Jour" as it is now with all the hackings of Target, Home Depot, Equifax in the news recently.

But you are correct, Ethernet everything one can plus keep Servers off the WiFi network. I am shocked every time I monitor what people are doing over unsecured WiFi at McDonald's or the local Coffee House.
    iPhone
    Media Room:

Living Room: