Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Want to revert Squeezebox Radio to Squeezebox software (from UE Smart Radio)

A while back, when the UE Smart Radio software was offered, I replaced the software on my Squeezebox radio with it. Yesterday, I saw that I no longer have any of the preset radio favorites or the ability to find radio stations. When you go to the UE Smart Radio website, my radio is still there but the favorites are gone. On the radio itself, clicking Now Playing does nothing - it's as if the Smart Radio site turned off a switch. The odd thing is, on the site, I can set an alarm and, in the dropdown are all of my favorites, and the alarm goes off playing the radio station that I select.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to switch back to the Squeezebox software for my radio. The software version is 10.0.1 r16964 and, under advanced, there is no option to switch back. I used slimserver for my music library a while back but no longer do - I use the radio to basically listen to music when working. I did submit a support request to Logitech Support, but I'm not sure how much success I'll have with that. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    A while back, when the UE Smart Radio software was offered, I replaced the software on my Squeezebox radio with it. Yesterday, I saw that I no longer have any of the preset radio favorites or the ability to find radio stations. When you go to the UE Smart Radio website, my radio is still there but the favorites are gone. On the radio itself, clicking Now Playing does nothing - it's as if the Smart Radio site turned off a switch. The odd thing is, on the site, I can set an alarm and, in the dropdown are all of my favorites, and the alarm goes off playing the radio station that I select.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to switch back to the Squeezebox software for my radio. The software version is 10.0.1 r16964 and, under advanced, there is no option to switch back. I used slimserver for my music library a while back but no longer do - I use the radio to basically listen to music when working. I did submit a support request to Logitech Support, but I'm not sure how much success I'll have with that. Thanks in advance.
    Should be an option for just that on SETTINGS/Advanced

Joe

uesmartradio.com was experiencing problems

A user of this forum contacted someone at Logitech and the uesmartradio.com website was experiencing problems yesterday and today. It looks like they corrected most, if not all of the problems because all of my menu items and favorites, previously missing, are now back - including the option to switch back to squeezebox software, which I plan to do in the coming days. Thanks for your reply.

If you switch back, won't you lose the ability to play iHeart radio stations? That's the exact reason why I updated to the UE firmware. And, if I remember right, you could update or revert right from the unit itself.

Does iHeartRadio still work on the UE Smart Radio?
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Does iHeartRadio still work on the UE Smart Radio?
    Some stations do and some don't. I recently lost my favorite morning news/talk station and it really pissed me off.

Ah. I was wondering because iHeartRadio was telling some people they (!) were discontinuing Smart Radio support a while ago.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Ah. I was wondering because iHeartRadio was telling some people they (!) were discontinuing Smart Radio support a while ago.
    And that's why I'll very likely be going with another manufacturer for a new internet radio sooner rather than later. And, to add insult to injury, the wireless feature which was HIGHLY used by me crapped out long ago, too. Piece of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
    And that's why I'll very likely be going with another manufacturer for a new internet radio sooner rather than later. And, to add insult to injury, the wireless feature which was HIGHLY used by me crapped out long ago, too. Piece of junk.
    Be careful, as its not the manufacturer of the hardware that's causing the issue with iheart radio access. It's iheart and its stations themselves (that wants to force listeners to use web portals that show advertising).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
    Technology moves on. Older internet radio support MP3 and WMA and not AAC. Now many station use AAC and not WMA so those radio became redundant. People bought big ticket smartTV for BBC and BBC changed technology and manufacturers couldn't implement it - so users lost "smart" functionality after about 2 years only.

The current trend is for radio station to use adaptive rate technology such as HLS , DASH (and possibly HDS) and rather than plain streaming http so many current radio are becoming redundant. So when you buy your new radio make sure it can play HLS and ideally DASH streams - otherwise you'll have to replace in a few years. If you want a guaranteed long term solution - run your own server (e.g. Raspberry Pi) to convert new formats.