Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox over VPN

Would a Squeezebox Radio/Boom be able to connect to LMS on a LAN to LAN VPN connection? I'm not sure the device would discover LMS as it would be on a different IP address range. Is there a way to key in the address of LMS manually?

As I'm sing Draytek devices it is possible to reroute traffic from an IP to another IP range

Quote Originally Posted by joelang6126 View Post
    As I'm sing Draytek devices it is possible to reroute traffic from an IP to another IP range
    Should be no Problem....

[Network A]-> vpn -> {Internet} <- vpn - [Network B]

Network A knows (has a Route) to Network B and vice Versa (if you use something like a Vigor or similar)

If you using a Router as VPN Gateway you always attach one Network to another - If you using a Client VPN - you only get a IP from the other Network to this Machine.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Wouldn't the Squeeze device need to know which range the LMS is on? Can this be set manually with the Squeeze device?

Squeezebox over VPN

With a VPN you use the IP range of the remote network (in this case your home network).
    So it’s not a problem, you can use the same IP address like at home.

Some VPNs do not route UDP packages, though, which means server discovery might not work. In this case you need to configure the server address manually.
    Last edited by pippin; 2017-10-10 at 23:07.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I can confirm without doubt that it works (provided your LAN 2 LAN VPN is capable)

I use 2 x Draytek routers with ipsec LAN 2 LAN configured. I have LMS servers at both ends (remote replication of the data files) but frequently switch players between the 2 instances.

All you need to do is to tell your SB player to use the remote LMS server by its IP address. You can even stream Radio and Spotify using Spotty installed on the remote LMS if the bandwidth is good enough.

If you use iPeng to control you should see the remote LMS server appear after a while and all connected players on the two networks.

If you are out and about you can also use iPeng with an SSL VPN (supported by the Draytek's) and connecting to ether router will allow you to play stuff from either LMS - again if the bandwidth is good enough.

That said. I was at a hotel the other weekend and I couldn't connect as the bloody hotel's wifi used the same network range as me. Very rare as it isn't a standard 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0 type network.

PS.
    Tip. If you use VPN's for users to connect to work from home don't use a 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0 network use something a bit more esoteric e.g. 192.168.123.x

EDIT
    To explicitly answer the initial question.

Example
    Draytek 1 - internal IP 192.168.22.x
    Draytek 2 - internal IP 192.168.23.x

You can route from 22 to 23 with no issue. So if your LMS on 1. was 192.168.22.2 on your SB Radio on 192.168.23.x just declare LMS as being at 192.168.22.2 as a "Remote server" and it will work.
    You don't have to have the same subnet at each end - in fact you shouldn't for a LAN 2 LAN VPN.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2017-10-11 at 03:41.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

I also have 2 x Draytek routers with ipsec LAN 2 LAN configured

In my case I use

Draytek 1 - internal IP 200.200.1.x
    Draytek 2 - internal IP 220.220.1.x

Is there the option on the players to specify a "Remote server" ?

Quote Originally Posted by joelang6126 View Post
    I also have 2 x Draytek routers with ipsec LAN 2 LAN configured

In my case I use

Draytek 1 - internal IP 200.200.1.x
    Draytek 2 - internal IP 220.220.1.x

Is there the option on the players to specify a "Remote server" ?
    1. You should not be using those IP ranges ! They are not valid Private Network ranges per RFC 1918.
    They are public IPs assigned to Ger�ncia Internet EMBRATEL - https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-whois-lookup/
    Valid Private Network subnets are
    Name:  2017-10-11 13_13_36-private ip ranges rfc 1918 - Google Search.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  17.0 KB

2. It depends on the player as to how you get to it but its usually under Advanced/Networking/Remote Servers
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Same IP range is not a problem.
    What makes some hotel WiFis problematic is that some hotels block VPNs because they don’t want you to use VoIP.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Same IP range is not a problem.
    What makes some hotel WiFis problematic is that some hotels block VPNs because they don’t want you to use VoIP.
    I disagree Pippin - same IP range can be a problem depending on type of VPN and whether "use gateway on remote network" is in play which I don't think occurs with the iOS VPN client (or does it?)

Just to confirm it worked beautifully, as the Boombox was already configured at the primary address when in range of the secondary residence it connect just fine to LMS.

Both houses use the same SSID etc for ease.