Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    In your actual use case you could use one of these scenarios

Rip the reissue then

1. separate the tracks into two folders - one containing the "original" and the other the "extras" and retag however you wish
    or
    2. leave the tracks in one folder but retag the original album tracks with disc 1/2 and the extras as disc 2/2 and set LMS to display accordingly.
    I have to confess that Iím confused as to why having the track in different folders matters.
    I did suggest option 2, but in the end OOP decided to just rip twice.

Anyway Iím really grateful to everyone for their helpful contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    *lol* wash me - but dont make me wet...

There is no way to add a album into an m3u.
    How about the other way round? I think it might be useful to be able to incorporate eg a Spotify playlist as an album

I have another email potential use case. I have the Hyperion complete Schubert lieder which is about 600 is tracks originally on about 40 albums.
    Those albums were thematic and by different singers. But when Hyperion released the complete set they did so in chronological order of composition (or something like that ).
    It would be really useful to be able to dual tag the items for the original album and the complete set, although track order within albums might have to stay

Quote Originally Posted by adamdea View Post
    I have to confess that Iím confused as to why having the track in different folders matters.
    I did suggest option 2, but in the end OOP decided to just rip twice.

Anyway Iím really grateful to everyone for their helpful contribution.
    Separate Folders - only because I gathered (possibly wrongly) that your friend wanted to be able to play the original album as an entity. By putting the tracks in separate folders the scanner would see it as 2 albums with the same name.
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

My solution to the scenario described is to generally name the primary album tracks with the album title.

The bonus tracks will then get an album title that is of the style "Album (extended)" usually named to match how it may popularly be identified elsewhere.... e.g. tack on a Limited Edition, Remaster, Deluxe, etc.

I won't keep two rips of all the common tracks unless there is a distinct difference.

In the rare cases where I keep two versions of an album because there are differences (two masterings, mono vs. stereo, surround vs. stereo, remixed vs. original, etc), I'll name the less common one with some parenthesis to identify how the version is different.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    [/OT]

The Beatles 2009 remasters have more bass and they are louder than the Red Book versions.
    So you didnt have the "same" Albums you have two (in my case 3 cause i still listen to the vinyl ones) different Versions.
    [\OT]
    Yes and to my listening pleasure no. I didn't delete the original Red Books until after listening to the interview where Ringo is discussing the 24/96 Remasters and how the bass and drums are the way he wanted them for the original recordings. So Yes the track lists are all the same, and yes the remasters differ in actual output (but don't all Remasters in one way or another, these 24/96 just more then others), so as far as I am concerned the Red Books are a lesser copy of the original Albums plus I found myself only listening to the 24/96 tracks before I actually deleted the Red Books.

Now if I had a ripped 180 virgin vinyl copy of the Albums, I would have kept that and did as you did tagging it with "Vinyl" in the title. I have so many CDs that there comes a point when a decision needs to be made as to what to keep when it comes to basically just a cleaner copy of the same CD such as Van Halen remasters of past CDs and other artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have 2 copies of Faces - Long Player CD.
    One an early CD and the other a reissue / remaster with bonus tracks.
    I ripped both
    The first is tagged as "Long Player" the second as "Long Player +"
    Sorry about OT. - Most excellent album! Didn't know there was a LP+, what are the bonus tracks?
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Yes and to my listening pleasure no. I didn't delete the original Red Books until after listening to the interview where Ringo is discussing the 24/96 Remasters and how the bass and drums are the way he wanted them for the original recordings. So Yes the track lists are all the same, and yes the remasters differ in actual output (but don't all Remasters in one way or another, these 24/96 just more then others), so as far as I am concerned the Red Books are a lesser copy of the original Albums plus I found myself only listening to the 24/96 tracks before I actually deleted the Red Books.

Now if I had a ripped 180 virgin vinyl copy of the Albums, I would have kept that and did as you did tagging it with "Vinyl" in the title. I have so many CDs that there comes a point when a decision needs to be made as to what to keep when it comes to basically just a cleaner copy of the same CD such as Van Halen remasters of past CDs and other artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    The last point there is an important one. I've had the same problem with CD's, LP's, even some BluRay releases, instances where there is a Mono and Stereo release. I've gotten to where I've had up to 5 copies of the same album, and the reality is that there is one maybe two that I actually listen to and the others become a one listen and done. I've resorted to eliminating both digitally and physically CD's or versions that I don't listen to. I love hi-fi and I can appreciate that people have their preferences on versions. I have mine, and once I figure that out, I try to get rid of the rest. I do generally keep vinyl, but I rarely find myself in a position where I think, "hmm... I want to listen to the 2000 remaster today instead of the 1992 one that I usually listen to" or whatever.

In fact, I am even letting this stop me from buying remaster after remaster. Rhetorically, how many times do albums really need to be remastered? and how many times do we need an anniversary edition of an album? But, that's a digression, and of course real diehard fans don't mind, but I've gotten older, and I can only buy my favorite albums so many times. AND, I only have so much space (physically and even on a hard drive).

Truth be told, I still check out remasters; I just don't buy them unless I know they are significantly better than previous ones, e.g. no clipping, etc. Thankfully the internet makes it easy to gage without having to buy in the first place.

multiple album for a track

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Sorry about OT. - Most excellent album! Didn't know there was a LP+, what are the bonus tracks?
    It was in a recent ish box set containing all their studio albums iirc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...=faces+box+set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng