X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkrug
    • Dec 2013

Apple TV - any experiences?

Hi

is anybody using an Apple TV (the 4K ?) as a LMS player? Any experiences? Are you using AirPlay or an app (http://slimlibrary.matglo.com/apple-tv-screenshots/, or are there others as well?)
    Any suggestions?

I am asking, because I am thinking of buying an Apple TV and to retire my Pi to become the LMS server (older model - does it work?). The price difference is bearable, and it will also function as a plex client.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rainer
  • bernt
    • Aug 2005

With Airplay bridge you can use it as a player and control it with iPeng or similar.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Comment

• epoch1970
      • Apr 2008

I have the previous model. I don’t use it much, tbh.
      In my opinion the touch interface, say like iPeng, is so much more practical than the cursor (remote control) interface that an SB tv app isn’t really necessary.
      I have Airplay Bridge installed on LMS, and I could control the atv4 from iPeng. Right now I can’t get audio out of it, I suppose an update broke the bridge.
      If iPeng for tvOS existed I guess I would have it installed, but I’m really not sure I would use it..

The atv Plex client is ok, but I’m not sure it is any better than the tablet app. I select movies from the tablet and play it on the atv. Easier to browse this way.

My advice would be for you to shell some money at getting a Pi 3. It will act as server and you can keep your current SB player as it is.
      2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Apple TV - any experiences?

Just for m 2cts
        I do have a beta version of iPeng for AppleTV but it’s been a low priority for me and with the iPhone X and the redesign it requires for the main App I don’t believe it will be ready this year.
        This might be somewhat personal but for me, I consider the whole AppleTV a bit of a usability challenge.
        The cursory interface really isn’t that nice and it’s a lot of work to port iPeng to that. I will do it, but only when I have the time.
        Using iPeng as a player sounds tempting but you can’t run audio apps permanently in the background on AppleTV so whenever you have done something else on the device, like watching a movie, you will then have to start iPeng again before you can even remotely control it. It can play on in the background but not stay available over an extended time without playing.

Due to this I actually feel you get a BETTER player experience using AirPlay on the AppleTV and the AirPlay bridge to interface with LMS, simply because then you can start playback whenever you want.

And I just don’t find it very motivating to work on an App of which I feel it will be a big compromise and other solutions for the same hardware already work better (AirPlay)
        Last edited by pippin; 2017-10-10, 16:00.
        ---
        learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
        Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
        at penguinlovesmusic.com
        New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• d6jg
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by pippin
          Just for m 2cts
          I do have a beta version of iPeng for AppleTV but it’s been a low priority for me and with the iPhone X and the redesign it requires for the main App I don’t believe it will be ready this year.
          This might be somewhat personal but for me, I consider the whole AppleTV a bit of a usability challenge.
          The cursory interface really isn’t that nice and it’s a lot of work to port iPeng to that. I will do it, but only when I have the time.
          Using iPeng as a player sounds tempting but you can’t run audio apps permanently in the background on AppleTV so whenever you have done something else on the device, like watching a movie, you will then have to start iPeng again before you can even remotely control it. It can play on in the background but not stay available over an extended time without playing.

Due to this I actually feel you get a BETTER player experience using AirPlay on the AppleTV and the AirPlay bridge to interface with LMS, simply because then you can start playback whenever you want.

And I just don’t find it very motivating to work on an App of which I feel it will be a big compromise and other solutions for the same hardware already work better (AirPlay)
          Slightly OT but do you have a timescale for iPeng Party upgrade yet Pippin?

And back on topic. I have an old Apple TV but only use it occasionally. I don't like the wifi overhead that AirPlay causes so prefer the AirPlay bridge & iPeng route
          Last edited by d6jg; 2017-10-10, 16:21.
          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• pippin
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by d6jg
            Slightly OT but do you have a timescale for iPeng Party upgrade yet Pippin?
            I hope to have it ready still in October.
            And back on topic. I have an old Apple TV but only use it occasionally. I don't like the wifi overhead that AirPlay causes so prefer the AirPlay bridge & iPeng route
            That’s what I meant. I don’t really use AirPlay from iOS devices but AirPlay bridge is quite nice and works almost as well as a real Squeezebox player.
            ---
            at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

There is a bug in the iPeng AirPlay (iOS) implementation actually which I should mention to you. Track time gets screwed up some times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• pippin
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by d6jg
                There is a bug in the iPeng AirPlay (iOS) implementation actually which I should mention to you. Track time gets screwed up some times.

Can’t be because there is no such thing as an iPeng AirPlay implementation.
                AirPlay is entirely handled by iOS, iPeng doesn’t really know it’s sending data to AirPlay instead of a speaker or headphones (ok, it can check the route and it does see the latency).

What do you mean by „wrong track time“ and where does it show the wrong time?
                ---
                at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• d6jg
                  • Feb 2011

I mean on the now playing screen on TV. The track timer is frequently wrong showing the total duration time of a previous track and not the one actually playing. Either the data being sent is wrong on iOS has a bug in it.

Jim

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

I don’t use it very often though but notice it every time (no pun intended). It does not affect playback.

Jim

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

I’ll have to check but that’s probably because iPeng is running in the background and only updating the data periodically and not permanently to save battery power. That information is updated separately from the player.

You are right, that should probably work better if iPeng is the player since then the App is running full time anyway but I’m a bit reluctant to leave the server connection open, it’s so verbose ...
                      ---
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• d6jg
                        • Feb 2011

It is a minor issue Pippin. I am not sure but I don’t think AirBridge is 100% right in that area either. I’d need to check.

Jim

Comment

• philippe_44
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by epoch1970
                          I have Airplay Bridge installed on LMS, and I could control the atv4 from iPeng. Right now I can’t get audio out of it, I suppose an update broke the bridge.
                          I just saw that, a small change in tvOS that created a wrinkle on the AirPlay handshake ... that's the problem when you never know exactly what's mandatory vs optional. It's fixed in 0.3.1.2
                          My advice would be for you to shell some money at getting a Pi 3. It will act as server and you can keep your current SB player as it is.
                          Agreed totally - even I, a shameless Windows user, have migrated my main LMS system on a pi (well, a cubie2 to be precise)
                          LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

Working...