Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muggo
    • May 2007

DAC PSU required?

I've just bought an SMSL M3 DAC/amp for driving my headphones. It cost £46 on eBay.
    My main system has no headphone socket so I've setup another Pi Mk 1 running piCorePlayer 3.0.1. Squeezelite is ver 1.8.4-762. Output setting is iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0. Connection is via USB.
    It sounds quite good, but I suspect my Sennheiser HD470 headphones are the weak link.

However, if I plug an external PSU (2.1 amp) into the DAC, I can't tell any improvement in the sound. The DAC is obviously being powered by the Pi (2 amp input), but I'd have thought a PSU running to the DAC should sound better.
    Can the Pi be configured to supply signal only to the DAC? I imagine separating power & signal would give a better sound.
    Any advice welcome.
    Last edited by muggo; 2017-10-07, 18:23. Reason: more info
  • Julf
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by muggo
    I'd have thought a PSU running to the DAC should sound better.
    Why?

I imagine separating power & signal would give a better sound.
    Again - what makes you imagine that?

Most DACs have more than adequate internal power regulation/filtering.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• muggo
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Julf
      Why?

Again - what makes you imagine that?

Most DACs have more than adequate internal power regulation/filtering.
      I thought it was generally accepted wisdom that decent power supplies lead to better sound.

Comment

• Julf
        • Dec 2010

I thought it was generally accepted wisdom that decent power supplies lead to better sound.
        Pretty much all "generally accepted wisdoms" tend to be wrong. Especially audiophile ones.
        "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• garym
          • May 2008

Only by the folks that sell overpriced and unnecessary power supplies (and a few of their victims that suffer from the normal human nature of "rationalization" based on their post purchase biases).
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
          The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
          Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• alfista
            • Aug 2009

What makes you believe the DAC doesn't have a decent enough power supply then?

Comment

• muggo
              • May 2007

Originally posted by alfista
              What makes you believe the DAC doesn't have a decent enough power supply then?
              Because it cost £46 & is made in China so I imagine some corners will have been cut.
              It has a USB port for signal & also one for power. Why would it have two if one was enough?
              Anyway, my query was about if a Pi can just send signal & not power. The thread has been diverted into whether power supplies in hifi are a waste of time.

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Because it cost £46 & is made in China so I imagine some corners will have been cut.
                It has a USB port for signal & also one for power. Why would it have two if one was enough?
                Anyway, my query was about if a Pi can just send signal & not power. The thread has been diverted into whether power supplies in hifi are a waste of time.
                You should change the thread title. It is asking whether a PSU is required for a DAC. It turns out that is not your question. Probably should mention Pi in your subject and be more specific in order to get Pi users to notice that they might have something to add to thread.
                Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• muggo
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by garym
                  You should change the thread title. It is asking whether a PSU is required for a DAC. It turns out that is not your question. Probably should mention Pi in your subject and be more specific in order to get Pi users to notice that they might have something to add to thread.
                  Done

Comment

• Man in a van
                    • Jan 2011

@muggo

One can buy usb devices that block the power supply part and pass through only the data and ground.

Some dacs need the power supply to "handshake" with the computer.

It is possible to insert a piece of tape over the power part of the usb connector to stop the power supply.

Google is your friend.

Comment

• muggo
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Man in a van
                      @muggo

One can buy usb devices that block the power supply part and pass through only the data and ground.

Some dacs need the power supply to "handshake" with the computer.

It is possible to insert a piece of tape over the power part of the usb connector to stop the power supply.

Google is your friend.
                      Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Working...