Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Help needed to install IQaudIO's rotary encoder in piCorePlayer

Hi all you Pi/Linux experts out there.

I have build a SB Touch replacement using a Smart Pi Case, 7-inch display and an IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ board.
    I just need to make the rotary encoder functional. It is the £5 one bought from IQaudIO.
    I have read just about ALL I could find about this subject in the last few evenings but unfortunately still without luck.
    I'm kind of a Linux NOOB so I need a little help here since there aren't much easy information available out there.

It seems I need to either find a IQ-rot binary with the cardname changed to "IQaudIODAC" or compile one myself. Is this correctly understood?

I also disabled the "audio=on" line in the config.txt file to remove the internal soundcard. Is this correct? Information about this is somewhat vague.

I have come this far in my attemt to compile the modified IQ-rot.c file:
    Installed these libraries: ipv6-4.9.50-pvpAudioCore_v7.tcz, git.tcz and compiletc.tcz

Now running the compile command "gcc IQ_rot.c -oIQ_rot -lwiringPi -lasound" fails with an error about it cannot find the wiringPi.h file.
    "wiringpi" is installed and running but the wiringPi.h file doesn't seems to be present on the SD-Card. Copying the wiringPi package in and changing the path to the wiringPi.h file also doesn't seems to work. Or should the wiringPi.h file be placed in the same path as the running wiringpi?

I think I'm almost there but if somebody have a few minutes to help me here, I would really appreciate it :-)

Many thanks....

/Martin Roerup

I've attached a build of IQ_rot 1.5 for pcp.

You need to run it using sudo ./IQ_rot and it depends on wiriingpi.tcz which is also required for squeezelite so should already be on your rpi.

If you start it from the user commands on the tweaks page you can omit sudo.

There's also the sbpd.tcz package in the repository from pippin. You can find usage details here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Hi Ralphy
    Thank you for your answer. The downloadable IQ_rot from IQaudIO's site is also a v1.5 but with a different size of the file. Maybe they used some slghtly different settings during compilation.
    Anyway I still had no luck with your attached version but then I tried the Pippins sbpd.tcz package. This one works fine for me, although at first I thought it wouldn't work as well. I hadn't attached any speakers at this time and just looked at the Pi display and inside the Alsamixer to look for changes when turning the rotary encoder. I didn't suspect the several seconds long delay here and was almost fooled to think it didn't work. The Alsamixer doesn't move at all but thats probably normal.
    Maybe I will give the IQ_rot another try later.

Many thanks....
    Martin Roerup

Quote Originally Posted by mroerup View Post
    The downloadable IQ_rot from IQaudIO's site is also a v1.5 but with a different size of the file. Maybe they used some slghtly different settings during compilation
    The attached IQ_rot uses the shared libraries included with picoreplayer rather than include them statically in the binary and that could account for the different size.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Hello also,
    I have the same problem with getting the rotary encoder running with the IQaudIO DAC. Unfortunately I am a beginner with Linux & Co and therefore looking a little bit helpless at this topic. When I open pCP with ssh I even cannot execute any command, so I think I have to change into any other directory? Or can I do the download and start of that package via the pCP tweak page?
    I would be happy if I could get some more detailed information.
    Many thanks
    /Manfred