Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question regarding Spotty / Spotify stream quality options

I have a premium spotify account and I use spotty.
    When I use my 'mobile picoreplayer system', I would like to be able to reduce the stream quality (-> bandwidth used), as I use it often via a 4G router w/ limited data volume.
    I know I can change the stream quality in the spotify app on my phone - but would that take effect 'globally' i.e. also for my picoreplayer using spotty?
    Are there other means to choose the stream bandwidth?
    (Due to the conversion/upsampling spotty is doing, I have no way to verify the real stream quality)

One can change the Sound Quality in (Log in) Settings from the Desktop app, should think that would apply to all devices.

Try it and see

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    One can change the Sound Quality in (Log in) Settings from the Desktop app, should think that would apply to all devices.
    Try it and see
    Changing the "original" Spotify quality, wont change the format of output from Spotty. Only the sound quality. So keep this at best possible soundquality.

Instead you need to look at LMS' audio settings for your mobile player:

LMS settings -> Player -> Choose your "mobile picoreplayer" in 1st dropdown -> Choose "Audio" in second dropdown

If you have LAME installed on your LMS server, you can now set "Bitrate limiting" for the player to for example 320kbps. Everything above that should then be transcoded to MP3 320kbps when streaming to your "mobile picoreplayer".
    Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2017-10-01 at 11:50.
    /Stig
    www.rockland.dk - www.last.fm/user/rockland - www.discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - plus.google.com/+StigNygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 (LmsRepack) - 1503129892 @ Sat Aug 19 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

As I understand it the "Sound Quality" as determined by Spotify is one stream of 160 thingies per sec and another of 320 thingies per sec.

So changing the Sound Quality setting should result in the use of a lower bandwidth.

What I did not remember (until the post by Stig) is that the Spotty plugin is "fixed" at 320 thingies, regardless.

It is possible apparently, to utilise librespot at the lower bandwidth but the developer deprecates the idea.

IMO encouraging users to be "Premium" means Spotify is more likely to use the "Nelson touch" with regard to librespot.

Ronnie

so if I wanted the very best max bandwidth quality sounds what do I set Lame or other LMS audio settings to?
    pi squeeze players and boom.

I always leave it at "No Limit" which is the default i believe.

Name:  a bitrate limit.png
Views: 252
Size:  19.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Giza2020 View Post
    so if I wanted the very best max bandwidth quality sounds what do I set Lame or other LMS audio settings to?
    pi squeeze players and boom.
    For best quality leave at default, including bitrate limiting disabled for the player.

The OP was not asking for best quality, but how to decrease the bandwidth used. Spotty always streams in a PCM or FLAC format with higher bitrate and bandwidth than any mp3 format has. Enabling a bitrate limit for a player, makes LMS automatically transcode any stream in higher bitrate, to the given mp3 bitrate format. You save bandwidth, but quality also decreases.
    /Stig
    www.rockland.dk - www.last.fm/user/rockland - www.discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - plus.google.com/+StigNygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 (LmsRepack) - 1503129892 @ Sat Aug 19 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Thanks both

Question regarding Spotty / Spotifystream quality options

> I know I can change the stream quality in the spotify app on my phone -
    > but would that take effect 'globally' i.e. also for my picoreplayer
    > using spotty?

No, spotty is currently always using the highest quality stream.

> Are there other means to choose the stream bandwidth?

See the other answers.

--

Michael

Thanks, Michael, for all your work and your willingness to keep us all informed.

You do say, "spotty is currently always using the highest quality stream." If possible, could I (and perhaps the OP) request that this be made an option? With limited DSL internet speed here, at times using Spotty it rebuffers every minute or so, while TuneIn and other services using lower-quality streams don't. This happens whether using my ethernet-connected picore server or wifi-connected laptop for LMS and listening on a Radio, Boom or Duet, so I know it's neither the wifi nor the hardware. I'd love to have faster internet, but it's not an option where we live.