Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ANN: Orange Squeeze Support/Discussion Thread

Please use this thread for support questions or you can email me at info@orangebikelabs.com too if you prefer privacy.

Current version: 2.3.1. Changelog: https://www.orangebikelabs.com/produ...eeze/changelog)

Orange Squeeze FAQ: https://www.orangebikelabs.com/produ...ngesqueeze/faq

Join the Orange Squeeze beta program: https://www.orangebikelabs.com/produ...gesqueeze/beta
    Expect updates as frequently as one/day or between bursts of work as infrequently as once/month.
    Last edited by db122; 2017-11-02 at 22:23. Reason: added faq, beta, changelog

There's a bug, fixed in 2.2.1, where the widget would show "No Players" when the notification was not showing (along with a few in-between cases).

Starting with 2.2.0, timely widget updates are tied to the presence of the notification. If you swipe away the notification (or on Android 4.x, hit the X button) then you are killing the server connection and the widget will no longer updated immediately. It will be updated per a typical Android widget update interval, 30 minutes. Not terribly useful though.

The notification has a purpose. It serves to let you know that your device has a background service running, and is actually 100% mandatory in Android 8.0 anyways to prevent your service from being killed very quickly. If you strongly dislike the notification, then on most modern devices you can choose to hide notifications from specific apps.

FTR, tested here on Android 4.4, 5.1, 7.0 and 8.0.

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    There's a bug, fixed in 2.2.1, where the widget would show "No Players" when the notification was not showing (along with a few in-between cases).

Starting with 2.2.0, timely widget updates are tied to the presence of the notification. If you swipe away the notification (or on Android 4.x, hit the X button) then you are killing the server connection and the widget will no longer updated immediately. It will be updated per a typical Android widget update interval, 30 minutes. Not terribly useful though.

The notification has a purpose. It serves to let you know that your device has a background service running, and is actually 100% mandatory in Android 8.0 anyways to prevent your service from being killed very quickly. If you strongly dislike the notification, then on most modern devices you can choose to hide notifications from specific apps.

FTR, tested here on Android 4.4, 5.1, 7.0 and 8.0.
    On my system with 2.2.0 neither the notification or the widget updated track info with the app in the background. Is that fixed in 2.2.1?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    On my system with 2.2.0 neither the notification or the widget updated track info with the app in the background. Is that fixed in 2.2.1?
    I doubt it, but it's possible that it's related to the widget issue somehow. If the widget is showing it means that it sees the player as playing or paused. You'll get 2.2.1 later today either way.

I did get your email on this, but so far have failed to duplicate it in any way on any of my devices. If you can do the verbose log thing, send it my way, it may shed some light on what's going on.
    Last edited by db122; 2017-09-30 at 11:59. Reason: s/advanced/verbose

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    I doubt it, but it's possible that it's related to the widget issue somehow. If the widget is showing it means that it sees the player as playing or paused. You'll get 2.2.1 later today either way.

I did get your email on this, but so far have failed to duplicate it in any way on any of my devices. If you can do the verbose log thing, send it my way, it may shed some light on what's going on.
    I thought I would try my Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.4 to see if it made a difference but the latest Orange Squeeze available is 2.1.11. Is 2.2.x only available for later versions of Android?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I haven't received 2.2.x either yet (Google Pixel, Android 8 Orio). But I will take the opportunity to thank db122 (Ben?) for taking up development of Orange Squeeze again. The first new 2.1 updates quickly fixed a couple of annoying issues I had before. It's really a great working app now :-)
    /Stig
    www.rockland.dk - www.last.fm/user/rockland - www.discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - plus.google.com/+StigNygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 (LmsRepack) - 1503129892 @ Sat Aug 19 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Just got the new beta5 on my phone and it now includes an X in the notification to close it - thanks, I was missing that

Orange Squeeze keeps getting better with each beta!

I, too, really appreciate the improvements. I was having some issues with players disappearing right after Orange Squeeze started up, but that appears to have been fixed in the last couple of betas. Really nice work.

Agreed - Updates appreciated

Ditto on that - I was having problems with the server connection breaking when putting the app in the background, having to swipe it off then restart. So much so that I was on the verge of switching to another app.

Much better now. thanks so much!

Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for adding notification support, works great and much appreciated!