Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Classic Not Powering Up

My Squeezebox Class does not power up. However, when I look behind the device, I see:

1. An internal "red" light illuminating in the S/PDIF. This means power gets to the device.

2. When I take the Squeezebox to my bedroom hifi, the WIFI extender is picked up by the Squeezebox and the LOGITECH sign appears and works like normal.

Unfortunately, this is not I how I want the device to work. I want it to pick any of the WIFI connections in my wife, in particular for my main living room hifi.

Could someone help. I have uninstalled and installed the LMS a million times it does not work for my main stereo (nothing appears on the device screen).

Thanks a lot,

I'd be so rude to suggest your description is impossible and somewhat incoherent.
    The SB doesn't care about WiFi for powering up, you will get the large "splash screen" text no matter what.
    No reason whatsoever to mess with LMS, it's irrelevant for this.

Did you use the same power supply in both cases? It's not entirely uncommon for the power supply to fail in a manner that the SB doesn't boot while still having the S/PDIF lit.

The red S/PDIF light has been known to illuminate with faulty units or faulty PSU's.

Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    My Squeezebox Class does not power up. However, when I look behind the device, I see:

1. An internal "red" light illuminating in the S/PDIF. This means power gets to the device.

2. When I take the Squeezebox to my bedroom hifi, the WIFI extender is picked up by the Squeezebox and the LOGITECH sign appears and works like normal.

Unfortunately, this is not I how I want the device to work. I want it to pick any of the WIFI connections in my wife, in particular for my main living room hifi.

Could someone help. I have uninstalled and installed the LMS a million times it does not work for my main stereo (nothing appears on the device screen).

Thanks a lot,
    We will need more information to help you troubleshoot.

What EXACTLY do you mean by "does not power up"? If you remove and then replace the power (ie, unplug the power supply, and then re-plug), do you get any "splash screen"? If so, what happens?

Is (or was) the device configured for wired ethernet or wifi? Your statement about taking the device to bedroom hifi, and WIFI extender picked up by Squeezebox... is very confusing. Please clarify how the device is (or should be) connected to your network, and if this desired configuration has changed (eg, was connected wired, but now you want to connect via WiFi).
    [FIRST step is making sure device "seems" to power up correctly. Next step is making sure it can connect to your network. Next would be making sure it can connect to your LMS.]

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    We will need more information to help you troubleshoot.

What EXACTLY do you mean by "does not power up"? If you remove and then replace the power (ie, unplug the power supply, and then re-plug), do you get any "splash screen"? If so, what happens?

Is (or was) the device configured for wired ethernet or wifi? Your statement about taking the device to bedroom hifi, and WIFI extender picked up by Squeezebox... is very confusing. Please clarify how the device is (or should be) connected to your network, and if this desired configuration has changed (eg, was connected wired, but now you want to connect via WiFi).
    [FIRST step is making sure device "seems" to power up correctly. Next step is making sure it can connect to your network. Next would be making sure it can connect to your LMS.]
    Ok. Perhaps to make this simple I will respond according to questions above:

1. When powered, there is NO "splashing" of SQUEEZBOX/LOGITECH. Nothing happens. When I move the SB it picks up WIFI extender and not the router - it splashes and everything works. For clarification. May main stereo is in the living room and another in the basement. Never had the SB in the bed room.FYI, I have owned several generations of the SB for more than 10 years now. It is not a question of competence here - just wacky stuff happen!

2. the SB has always been configured for WIFI. Never for configured for Ethernet. Even Ethernet does not work. NOTE: I have two SBs all same model both work via the WIFI extender.

3. I am also very confused - it does not make sense, but that is what happens. Can not explain any further. Will confuse you more.

4. My SB is (was) connected by wifi through the router (Verizon) to my main hifi (Cary Preamp which is connected Garrard 301 turntable and Wadia CD player to a Sophia Electric 91A Monoblocks). Similarly, my second SB, which works via an extender in the basement is connected to a Rogue Cronos II and a Thorens TD 124.

5. I have tried to uninstall the LMS and reinstall it - nothing has worked. I missed listening to my favaourite South Korean Jazz station all day when I am home or work from home.

Very frustrating,

By moving the squeezebox did you also move the power supply ? Or do you have more than one PSU to try with ?

The splash screen shoul come when the player boots properly , regardless of network conectivity ?
    Did you unplug and replug the powersupply while the player is in its normal location or di you just try the power button on the remote ? Does a long press onnthe left arrow take
    You to the setup menu ? Can you toggle trough the screensavers ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html