Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Tried Roonlabs for 30 days... not as good as LMS

So I tried Roonlabs for 30 days just to see if it was any better than LMS. The metadata display is pretty cool but that's pretty much about it. If interested, here were my thoughts:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tha...-reasons/31511

LMS is still the best and I am forever grateful for our community. I didn't really think I was going to leave LMS, but I heard so much about Roonlabs and how they display the meta data, that I wanted to see it for myself. It's really cool, but it's just all front end searching and music info stuff. Everything else is lightyears behind LMS. (Although they do have an audio install that does a sync with the speakers that is pretty cool...)
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

I had very similar reasons for not spending the money, especially regarding the weak "Radio" function, being an avid MusicIP/Spicefly Sugarcube user myself. My reactions where ▒ 1,5 years ago, so it seems development on this is slow(ish).
    Name:  Roon.PNG
Views: 203
Size:  84.8 KB
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + Squeezepad (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Aune X7S + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I have been tempted to try Roon a couple of times but have baulked at the considerable effort that I will have to expend to try it and most of the LMS v Roon comments I have seen end up with LMS being the more refined system. That said I love the idea of more metadata, album reviews etc. I also quite like what Plex does for music in this area - I have Plex installed in order to use it for my ripped DVD collection but it also looks at my music library even though I don't use it for music.

It seems to me that what Roon and to a lesser extent Plex do with metadata and a modern HTML5 interface are really all that is missing from LMS these days but I fear we are not going to get either unless Logitech were to pick up the baton again. Does anyone know if the Roon or Plex metadata comes from their own proprietory databases or from open sources?
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Does anyone know if the Roon or Plex metadata comes from their own proprietory databases or from open sources?
    Roon data comes from other databases, but not free/open source. I'm told that this is one of their largest expenses (licensing the metadata sources).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

And I totally believe that. This stuff is expensive
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

There is a program called klarita Muso that does a good job of displaying a "now playing" on a computer screen. Might want to check that out. I use it on my TV at times. When I have parties/guests it's really cool. I also use Squeezepad on ipad which I feel does a better than average job of brining in internet data to learn more about what you've got playing and similar artists.

At the same time, I feel we as a community need to come together and ask ourselves some tough questions and provide more support to Michael and Philip: I talk about this in another thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ueezebox/page3

darien
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2