Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    ALBUM=Riding with the King
    ALBUMARTIST=Eric Clapton & B.B. King
    ARTIST=Eric Clapton
    ARTIST=B.B. King

Tagged in this manner, the album will show up under both Eric Clapton and B.B. King. This approach means that artists that don't have other full albums won't appear in the "Album Artists" list, but will be in the "Artists" list, which I find preferable.
    IF you include artists in your browse list. I have a lot of compilations, so I browse almost exclusively by Album Artist. Consequently, I choose the route of having two entries in the Album Artist field (for that example). AND, I would also have both artists tagged separately for the Artists too.

Why? well in 99.9% of my cases I have one Album Artist, and I use the Album Artist to group variations of the artist or the Album Artist as I would browse for it. Rarely do I have a case like the Eric Clapton and B.B. King example where I might be as likely to browse for either one. For instance, the duet album with Robert Plant and Allison Krauss gets Robert Plant only for Album Artist because I don't have any other Allison Krauss albums. Maybe some day in the future I will, then I might add her as a second Album Artist. But, I leave her in the Artist tags because I will occasionally search by a song Artist, and I don't know that she wouldn't turn up on a compilation or here so that I could find a song if I knew who sang it.

In other cases, I use one Album Artist to group variations on an artist or band. For instance, Miles Davis is always an Album Artist for albums by his Quartets, Quintets, etc., and Bruce Springsteen is always the Album Artist whether it is a solo album or with the E-Street Band. The Artist tags clarifies the specifics for each track when needed.

In some rare instances I might include in the Artist tags both the individual Artist and the Artists combined. For instance in the Clapton & King example, I might have:

Artist = Eric Clapton
    Artist = B.B. King
    Artist = Eric Clapton & B.B. King

I did that a long time ago in the case of a few albums that had some odd situations. Not sure I've ever really put that to use for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    IF you include artists in your browse list. I have a lot of compilations, so I browse almost exclusively by Album Artist. Consequently, I choose the route of having two entries in the Album Artist field (for that example). AND, I would also have both artists tagged separately for the Artists too.

Why? well in 99.9% of my cases I have one Album Artist, and I use the Album Artist to group variations of the artist or the Album Artist as I would browse for it. Rarely do I have a case like the Eric Clapton and B.B. King example where I might be as likely to browse for either one. For instance, the duet album with Robert Plant and Allison Krauss gets Robert Plant only for Album Artist because I don't have any other Allison Krauss albums. Maybe some day in the future I will, then I might add her as a second Album Artist. But, I leave her in the Artist tags because I will occasionally search by a song Artist, and I don't know that she wouldn't turn up on a compilation or here so that I could find a song if I knew who sang it.

In other cases, I use one Album Artist to group variations on an artist or band. For instance, Miles Davis is always an Album Artist for albums by his Quartets, Quintets, etc., and Bruce Springsteen is always the Album Artist whether it is a solo album or with the E-Street Band. The Artist tags clarifies the specifics for each track when needed.

In some rare instances I might include in the Artist tags both the individual Artist and the Artists combined. For instance in the Clapton & King example, I might have:

Artist = Eric Clapton
    Artist = B.B. King

I did that a long time ago in the case of a few albums that had some odd situations. Not sure I've ever really put that to use for any reason.
    But taking that last example you really should have
    Artist = B.B. King
    Artist = Eric Clapton
    Artist = B.B. King & Eric Clapton
    as the album is credited that way round so should you also have
    for completeness sake

As I said earlier you pays your money ...

PS Riding with the King is a great album either way round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I think making the track artist tag for each track

Keith Jarrett;Jan Garbarek

will do it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Sorry to have in on someone else's thread but will the above trading work for mp3 on an ipod device? I'm testing it on LMS with FLAC now but I also convert my FLAC to mp3 to put on an ipod and I want the trading to work the same way.