Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS skipping the music when syncing multiple end points and playing hi-res music

Hello. I have the latest LMS running on my QNAP 219P+ All my end points (three Touches) are wired via Ethernet. So my entire setup is wired. Mostly I just use one of the touches which is my Main. But recently I have been wanting to sync all of them together to play in my three zones. When synced, I play music that is .mp3 or radio internet, the sync runs fine. It's only when I play files that are 96/24 or higher in quality, does the music have problems. It will only play for a few seconds, then cuts out, then play for another few seconds, then cuts out and never get's through the song. If I do not sync the players, each touch can play the 92/24 and higher music just fine. This leads me to think that the processor on the QNAP just can't handle the syncing on 92/24 music and higher. I am hoping you guys might have some tweaking suggestions to get this to work. Is there a log that I can turn on to see exactly what is happening when playing each song?
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    Hello. I have the latest LMS running on my QNAP 219P+ All my end points (three Touches) are wired via Ethernet. So my entire setup is wired. Mostly I just use one of the touches which is my Main. But recently I have been wanting to sync all of them together to play in my three zones. When synced, I play music that is .mp3 or radio internet, the sync runs fine. It's only when I play files that are 96/24 or higher in quality, does the music have problems. It will only play for a few seconds, then cuts out, then play for another few seconds, then cuts out and never get's through the song. If I do not sync the players, each touch can play the 92/24 and higher music just fine. This leads me to think that the processor on the QNAP just can't handle the syncing on 92/24 music and higher. I am hoping you guys might have some tweaking suggestions to get this to work. Is there a log that I can turn on to see exactly what is happening when playing each song?
    Try to just use synchro start, not maintain synchro . If it still fails it means (this would not surprise me) that the problem is with the 3 high flows and maybe some conversion happening (you should check that no conversion happens)
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

syncing multiple players with hires measn the network must be perfect and no transcoding.
    1. Without EDO playing higher than 96/24 will require resampling by LMS and could cause problems if server is not powerful enough.
    2. At high rates - data loss / retranmission will probably result in need to resync. Check network interface IP and TCP statistics for errors, restransmissions, resets and timeouts. I once had an ethernet switch where one port went partially bad resulting in lost packets/retransmissions. Other users have developed bad network sockets on players (e.g. dry joint), failing PSU and bad cables.
    3. Enable logging player.sync and see which player is the root cause. Try making it master and/or adjust sync parameters and look at resulting changes in log.

how do i check if conversion happens? just haven't had to do this in a very long while...
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III

how do i check if conversion happens? just haven't had to do this in a very long while...
    LMS Settings, 'Advanced" tab and then "Logging". You'll see that you have a "(player.source) - Player Source Audio & Conversion Logging" option - I always forget, but I think this is the right one. Set it to "info" at least
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

An alternative to using logging (which is definitive) would be to see which LM sub processes are running when playing - if SOX is running when playing - then resampling is happening. Not sure whether it is easy too look at processes on the QNAP usually the "ps" command/

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    An alternative to using logging (which is definitive) would be to see which LM sub processes are running when playing - if SOX is running when playing - then resampling is happening. Not sure whether it is easy too look at processes on the QNAP usually the "ps" command/
    Cool and thanks. Here is my log and from here it just keeps buffering every couple of seconds... This is my MBedRoom synced to my MainFloor. I have noticed that at some lower resolution FLAC, when the "streamMode=I" I don't get this buffering issue.

Slim::Player::Player::_buffering (1141) +output... 27648 / 1764000
    Slim::Player::Player::_buffering (1140) Buffering... 17192 / 441000
    Plugins::SugarCube::Plugin::commandCallback (680) SugarCube is set to DISABLED for this client
    Slim::Player::Player::_buffering (1141) +output... 27648 / 1764000
    Slim::Player::Player::_buffering (1140) Buffering... 17192 / 441000
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerOutputUnderrun (2219) 00:04:20:23:2e:ea: decoder: 33572 / output: 0
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingStat e (2357) new playing state BUFFERING
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerOutputUnderrun (2219) 00:04:20:22:35:d9: decoder: 21284 / output: 0
    Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand 2 (446) Matched: flc->flc via: [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    0274: [17-10-03 14:07:55.3188] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand 2 (446) Matched: flc->flc via: [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Plugins::IckStreamPlugin::PlayerService::__ANON__ (1495) Error when sending playerStatusChanged for Main Floor
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerTrackStarted (2180) 00:04:20:23:2e:ea
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerTrackStarted (2180) 00:04:20:22:35:d9
    Plugins::SugarCube::Plugin::commandCallback (680) SugarCube is set to DISABLED for this client
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Playing (390) Song queue is now 0
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Playing (361) Song 0 has now started playing
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingStat e (2357) new playing state PLAYING
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerBufferReady (2258) 00:04:20:22:35:d9
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingStat e (2357) new playing state WAITING_TO_SYNC
    Slim::Player::StreamingController:layerBufferReady (2258) 00:04:20:23:2e:ea
    Plugins::IckStreamPlugin::PlayerService::__ANON__ (1495) Error when sending playerStatusChanged for Main Floor
    Plugins::IckStreamPlugin::PlayerService::__ANON__ (1426) Error when sending playbackQueueChanged for Main Floor
    Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand 2 (446) Matched: flc->flc via: [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setStreamingSt ate (2366) new streaming state STREAMING
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingStat e (2357) new playing state BUFFERING
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stream (1302) Song queue is now 0
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stream (1265) 00:04:20:23:2e:ea: stream
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stream (1265) 00:04:20:22:35:d9: stream
    Slim::Player::Song:pen (558) Tokenized command: "/opt/ssods4/bin/flac" -dcs -- "/share/Multimedia/Music/Michael Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.flac" | "/opt/ssods4/bin/sox" -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -r 88200 - & |
    Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::tokenizeConvertCo mmand2 (617) Using command for conversion: "/opt/ssods4/bin/flac" -dcs -- "/share/Multimedia/Music/Michael Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.flac" | "/opt/ssods4/bin/sox" -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -r 88200 - & |
    Slim::Player::Song:pen (408) Transcoder: streamMode=F, streamformat=flc
    Slim::Player::Song:pen (387) seek=false time=0 canSeek=2
    Slim::Player::Song:pen (363) file:///share/Multimedia/Music/Michael%20Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna%20Be%20Startin%27%20Somethin%27.flac
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stream (1206) 00:04:20:22:35:d9: preparing to stream song index 0
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stream (1203) Song queue is now 0
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_nextTrackReady (737) 00:04:20:22:35:d9: nextTrack will be index 0
    Slim::Player::Song::getNextSong (229) file:///share/Multimedia/Music/Michael%20Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna%20Be%20Startin%27%20Somethin%27.flac
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_playersMessage (789) Now Playing: file:///share/Multimedia/Music/Michael%20Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna%20Be%20Startin%27%20Somethin%27.flac
    Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setStreamingSt ate (2366) new streaming state TRACKWAIT
    Slim::Player::Song::new (108) index 0 -> file:///share/Multimedia/Music/Michael%20Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna%20Be%20Startin%27%20Somethin%27.flac
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III

Your system is resampling to 88.2kHz with this command
    Code:
    Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::tokenizeConvertCommand2 (617) Using command for conversion: "/opt/ssods4/bin/flac" -dcs -- "/share/Multimedia/Music/Michael Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.flac" | "/opt/ssods4/bin/sox" -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -r 88200 - & |
    If files do not need resampling then they will be sent direct to player - no command being executed on LMS - I'm guessing this is what you mean by Streammode=I

edit:

I notice that a QNAP 219P+ has a Marvel 88F6282 1.6Ghz ARM5vte processor - Mnay ARM prcoessors don't have FPU and so struggle with resampling as it is compute intensive.
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-10-03 at 12:55.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Your system is resampling to 88.2kHz with this command
    Code:
    Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::tokenizeConvertCommand2 (617) Using command for conversion: "/opt/ssods4/bin/flac" -dcs -- "/share/Multimedia/Music/Michael Jackson/Thriller/01-Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.flac" | "/opt/ssods4/bin/sox" -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -r 88200 - & |
    If files do not need resampling then they will be sent direct to player - no command being executed on LMS - I'm guessing this is what you mean by Streammode=I

edit:

I notice that a QNAP 219P+ has a Marvel 88F6282 1.6Ghz ARM5vte processor - Mnay ARM prcoessors don't have FPU and so struggle with resampling as it is compute intensive.
    I am trying to figure out why it thinks it needs to resample.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III

I am trying to figure out why it thinks it needs to resample.
    Because LMS thinks the player cannot play the bitrate you are offering - LMS will choose the lowest top bitrate in a group of synced players.
    What is the bitrate of the file you are trying to play ?
    Are all your synced players identical ?
    Enable logging of network.protocol.slimproto to see what are the player bitrates being reported to LMS (need to disconnect player and reconnected as they are reported upon connection).