Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

[Announce] Spotty v1.9.0 - now with experimental Spotify Connect support!

The title says it all :-). Except for how to enable the feature. Read all of this announcement to get there. Really!

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-22 um 08.34.30.png
Views: 1888
Size:  34.6 KB

I'm currently playing a Daily Mix on my Transporter. Spotify Connect support - what does that mean:

• Control Spotify playback on your Squeezebox using Spotify's applications (desktop, mobile)
    • Get access to (some of - see below) the Spotify content which is not available through their API yet, thus can't be accessed through the plugin
    • Transfer Spotify playback from your office Squeezebox to your phone to your car to your phone to your home Squeezebox

As the title says, this is still somewhat experimental. It's a bit of a hack, but it's the best I could get done so far (and I've failed many other approaches...). So here's the list of open issues and limitations I'm aware of already (though I bet people will skip this part and ask about them anyway...):

• If you want to transfer playback from one device to another you'd have to do this using Spotify's apps. I haven't updated the menu item in Spotty yet.
    • No Windows support (yet)
    • For whatever reason Spotify would not allow me to play Podcasts to Spotty
    • The metadata display can sometimes get slightly out of sync. Squeezebox would show the next track's metadata 5-10s before it actually starts playing (whil the previous track was still active)
    • No volume control from Spotify's side
    • Turning Spotify Connect off for a player would not always kill the daemon. Restart LMS to get rid of it, if this bothers you.
    • Spotify's limitations apply: if you play music to your Squeezebox using Connect, you cannot listen to Spotify on your phone or any other Spotify Connect endpoint.
    • The plugin requires a few tools to be installed. In many cases they are part of the system. Please make sure you have "pv" (Pipe Viewer), and either "curl" or "wget" installed on your system. Install using your operating system's package management tool if needed. They should be available on any Linux system.

Looks like a lot of limitations compared to the number of feature bullet points :-).

If you want to give this Spotty Connect a try anyway, go to the LMS web UI, Settings/Player/Spotty, and enable the feature for the device(s) you want. Please note that every activated player will launch a daemon in the background. Be careful if you run LMS on a NAS with 256MB or even less...

Many thanks go to marcelveldt who inspired me with his Spotify implementation for Kodi!
    Last edited by mherger; 2017-10-16 at 23:13.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

(Did I mention that this slightly premature release is not only to get things tested, but to celebrate the 5000th active Spotty user, too?)
    Michael

Installed. BUT can't find any way to enable the player device.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You did read the announcement, didn't you?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    You did read the announcement, didn't you?
    Yes! Settings - Player - enable .... but there's no Spotty to enable
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here. With no clue how to get to Settings/Player/Spotty

Great work btw, this spotty app!

Hmmm... it's in the web UI only. Did you check that? I've installed it on three systems so far. And it has always worked.

What about your server.log? The implementation requires some command line tools (pv, wget or curl). Are they available on your systems?
    Michael

Okay

log:

Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getPVcmd (357) Didn't find the pv (pipe viewer) utility

so, we need to install this pv, I guess
    SB Player - Fire TV

log states:
    [17-09-22 09:52:56.2624] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getWgetCmd (343) Can't initialized Spotty Connect without the 'wget' utility. Please install curl using your package manager.

Being not very technical, I'm at a loss here.

[Announce] Spotty v1.9.0 - now withexperimental Spotify Connect support!

> Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getPVcmd (357) Didn't find the pv (pipe
    > viewer) utility

Oh... two mistakes on my end: a.) I added a message about the lack of
    those tools to the page which is not shown in case they were missing,
    and b.) I thought pv was pre-installed in almost any Linux (except pCP -
    for which I include a copy...). Will fix/improve this.

--

Michael