Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Which music provider for LMS ?

I'm running an LMS serveur with 5 player as a multiroom system in my house since 2 years old.
    Since last year I've got an spotify premium account and I'm very happy with its integration with LMS (previoulsy with the protocol handler and now with spotty).

BUT, I've got a big issue with spotify on my android devices.. My synced album keep being deleted. Reading spotify assistance forum, it seems to be a long time bug and spotify team don't move to solve it.

I'd like to move to another music provider. I need it to have same range of price and family account. But overall, I need it to easily intagrates my lms multiroom.

I would be very happy with google play music as all my family uses android devices. But what about using it with LMS ? Third app/plugin seems to be outdated...

Any advice from the community ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xyleme View Post
    I'm running an LMS serveur with 5 player as a multiroom system in my house since 2 years old.
    Since last year I've got an spotify premium account and I'm very happy with its integration with LMS (previoulsy with the protocol handler and now with spotty).

BUT, I've got a big issue with spotify on my android devices.. My synced album keep being deleted. Reading spotify assistance forum, it seems to be a long time bug and spotify team don't move to solve it.

I'd like to move to another music provider. I need it to have same range of price and family account. But overall, I need it to easily intagrates my lms multiroom.

I would be very happy with google play music as all my family uses android devices. But what about using it with LMS ? Third app/plugin seems to be outdated...

Thanks
    There's a 'dedicated' Google music plugin for the Max2Play version for Raspberry Pi - it can't be installed on other LMS versions.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok my server is on a raspberry so if needed I could run max2play.

Do you use this plugin ? Everything works great ?

Ok my server is on a raspberry so if needed I could run max2play.

Do you use this plugin ? Everything works great ?
    Don't use it myself. See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post895357
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    It is actually not a raspberry / max2play exclusive but "just" an LMS plugin, which only works on a Linux server as far as I know due to Python issues, but there are nearly no limits as it works on x86(-64) systems as well as on ARM based systems. Of course, max2play eases the installation with the integrated Plugin installer. The first post in the above linked thread contains a link to the github page of the Plugin where you can also find general installation instructions.

Regarding the usability:

- Basically it works great.
    - I don't use it all the time because my main source of music is the locally stored stuff, but when I need it, it just works.
    - BUT: you have to be aware that it can be tricky/limited because it is based on an unofficial API to Google Play Music. Means that if Google change their mind on something it might break immediately (which, on the other hand, is what happened to Spotify, too, as far as I can judge. Of course, Michael Herger jumped in and wrote the Spotty re-implementation). There was a serious issue some time ago that broke things but askvictor took over from the original (then inactive) plugin author and fixed it for the moment.
    - Regarding features: Searching and "favourites" (saved playlists and radio stations) work fine, you can also access your own uploaded music. I don't use all of GPM's features, so I am not sure what are the limitations, might be that you can't search for radio stations but can just access stuff that you have already played/used via other access methods (mobile device, GPM website, ...). But here you have to check the Thread linked above and/or the "Issues" page of the github maybe to get into more details.
    - I am not sure about the family account thing: we also use a family account in GPM, but for the LMS Plugin you can only input one user's account data, so I pretty sure that some of the multi-user features won't work or not as smooth as in GPM itself.

Short summary: basically works fine, most but not all features are supported, can unfortunately break at any time.

Cheers,
    Seb
    "The only word I know is 'Grunt' - and I can't spell it" (R.I.P. D.A.)

Thanks
    If you care about sound quality. I would go for Tidal HIFI. Sounds WAY better than Spotify
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Receiver - S.M.S.L DAC, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Office: Transporter, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

Quote Originally Posted by callesoroe View Post
    If you care about sound quality. I would go for Tidal HIFI. Sounds WAY better than Spotify
    Does LMS support the HIFI version of Tidal? I thought it only streamed the MP3 stream (still sounds good, but not full CD/lossless)
    1st Touch in main HT rig hardwired to router connected

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Touch 2 Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Touch 4 Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 4 gig ram
    Windows 7 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

Quote Originally Posted by srasher View Post
    It is actually not a raspberry / max2play exclusive but "just" an LMS plugin, which only works on a Linux server as far as I know due to Python issues, but there are nearly no limits as it works on x86(-64) systems as well as on ARM based systems. Of course, max2play eases the installation with the integrated Plugin installer. The first post in the above linked thread contains a link to the github page of the Plugin where you can also find general installation instructions.

Regarding the usability:

- Basically it works great.

[remainder snipped]

Seb
    The Google Play Music plugin works great IF you don't have the problem that has made it unusable for some of us: many tracks are truncated, ending many seconds or even minutes before they should. Max2Play says they have fixed the problem on their installations, but for the rest of us it's an exercise in frustration.

If it's working great for you, would you share the details of your installation? Hardware, LMS version, etc?

This question is somewhat off-topic in this thread, so replies might better go in the relevant thread in the third-party software forum. The OP has posted there, too and would probably see replies there as well as here.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoveryone View Post
    Does LMS support the HIFI version of Tidal? I thought it only streamed the MP3 stream (still sounds good, but not full CD/lossless)
    Yes Losless flac playback is supported. I think it is available in most Countries now. Tidal HIFI works fine with LMS.
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Receiver - S.M.S.L DAC, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Office: Transporter, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

So I've been mulling around the Tidal vs. Deezer issue a lot in my mind lately. But I decided to go to Deezer for the following reasons. Both Stream in CD quality via Flac.
    However,

1. Deezer HiFi is 10 dollars less per month,
    2. Deezer has a much larger database of music versus Tidal -- it's not even close,
    3. Deezer does a much better job in their pre packaged music stations as they are segmented out. For example, they have three different Reggae stations.
    4. Thus when you do a music station based on a artist or play on of their stations, you're getting a much wider and deeper variety of music.

Yes, Tidal also streams in 92/24, but that's a very small segment of the Tidal universe. But more importantly, the vast majority of systems won't be able to tell a difference. I have a pair of B&W CM10's, a Jolida Tube DAC III and a Marantz 7010 integrated amp, a Sumiko S.5 sub playing on Music 5.1 channel. I really customized the center and surround so that they are barley used but just add a touch of color. All together, a cost of 9k and I can only tell a very minor difference in a very small amount of music in CD quality versus 92/24 or higher. Even the 320k stuff sounds awesome. A lot of that is that the Marantz actually has a specific mode for MP3's (settings of low, mid and high) to analyze the music and fill in areas of color that compression takes out. The low works awesome and makes everything sound wider, deeper, vocals especially as it really sounds like the person is in front of the speakers, separation of instruments is incredible. The mid and high are just too much.

The only downside to Deezer is that you gotta do it via ickStream to get the FLAC streaming and thus to navigation is a bit odd. But with Michael's artist info plugins, and with Philips Playlist manager plugin, the navigation is manageable. These plug ins are an absolute must.

The only reason to go to Tidal over Deezer is if you can hear a difference between the CD quality and 92/24 streaming/MQA that Tidal does AND you actually listen to that music. As the 92/24/MQA music is a relatively small collection, doesn't make sense to get it if you don't like that music.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2