Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    do you have your PC LMS is installed on as a static IP address?
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    do you have your PC LMS is installed on as a static IP address?
    yes..?

Quote Originally Posted by pupvogel View Post
    yes..?
    So I had this exact problem and for me the issue was that my gateway was not matched from my internet provider. I looked at my router settings to find the gateway, entered that, and that resolved the issue. my gateway needed to be 75.75.75.75. and 75.75.76.76
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Did you mean DNS servers ? It can also be your router if it can provide dns .

That works for me in both the DNS entries and the gateway entry I use my routers IP address in all my devices and computers.

But you can ofcourse specify a DNS server on each device .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Did you mean DNS servers ? It can also be your router if it can provide dns .

That works for me in both the DNS entries and the gateway entry I use my routers IP address in all my devices and computers.

But you can ofcourse specify a DNS server on each device .
    Domestic routers do not contain DNS servers but most act as DNS relays. The implementation can be hit and miss. It is often better to specify dns servers explicitly.
    Most U.K. ISPs allow you to use their DNS servers or other public DNS servers e.g. Google - 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
    Note some DNS servers are "caching" and others are true to the TTL set by the DNS host of the domain in question. Does it matter? Yes and No.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Domestic routers do not contain DNS servers but most act as DNS relays. The implementation can be hit and miss. It is often better to specify dns servers explicitly.
    Most U.K. ISPs allow you to use their DNS servers or other public DNS servers e.g. Google - 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
    Note some DNS servers are "caching" and others are true to the TTL set by the DNS host of the domain in question. Does it matter? Yes and No.
    Ok dns realay is the term I have no problem with that functionality I use my routers that way .
    Benefit is that you can change dns in one place if needed. The isp's I've had and currently have has good dns service ! I don't need to use other dns than the ones supplied by my isp . I've tried google dns way back with an older router but I did not really found any difference for my use cases .

I've also heard that some isp can have shoddy dns service . So it can be a real need for some to try out other services .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Ok dns realay is the term I have no problem with that functionality I use my routers that way .
    Benefit is that you can change dns in one place if needed. The isp's I've had and currently have has good dns service ! I don't need to use other dns than the ones supplied by my isp . I've tried google dns way back with an older router but I did not really found any difference for my use cases .

I've also heard that some isp can have shoddy dns service . So it can be a real need for some to try out other services .
    The issue with DNS relays on cheap domestic routers is that they ARE cheap domestic routers made with low quality components and the DNS relay (software) frequently fails. This is an area where you really do get what you pay for.

Some ISPs do have incredibly poor (slow) DNS servers and IIRC studies have showed that a slow DNS service is the biggest factor that influences internet "speed" i.e. it doesn't matter how much bandwidth you have if you use slow DNS servers you get slow internet.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

...sorry to interrupt, I' ll just give a quick status update on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    So I had this exact problem and for me the issue was that my gateway was not matched from my internet provider. I looked at my router settings to find the gateway, entered that, and that resolved the issue. my gateway needed to be 75.75.75.75. and 75.75.76.76
    I am not sure how I could do that, because the gateway assigned to me from my provider changes from time to time. So I did something else:
    I activated the second network adapter on my mainboard (Intel instead of Qualcomm), this one I set to dynamic IP address (by DHCP), and this magically...did nothing.
    Same problem as before. Ah ok, and I should mention, the other connection was deactivated for this test.
    I think there must be something messed up in the LMS-package, probably some extra-level of DNS-complication that doesn't work in my situation - why else would the control panel's diagnostics screen show all connections as OK, but then on the other hand fail to make a connection to a site, that my browser can see..?

As I already mentioned in my first post, I also tried setting Google's DNS server and the DNS server of my ISP directly in the Windows device manager - no change.

[QUOTE=pupvogel;896534why else would the control panel's diagnostics screen show all connections as OK, but then on the other hand fail to make a connection to a site, that my browser can see..?[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea what win 10 is.
    An application firewall on the machine running LMS and that browser will happily do something like that. Make sure the LMS program/service is allowed to access outside the machine (in general or for DNS only)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    I have no idea what win 10 is.
    An application firewall on the machine running LMS and that browser will happily do something like that. Make sure the LMS program/service is allowed to access outside the machine (in general or for DNS only)
    Win 10 is WINDOWS 10, sorry if I was unclear there.
    Same thing happens when firewall is completely switched off and no antivirus is running.

Just tried that again actually, as my first post is quite old already and I am starting to disbelieve myself...but I was right, still won't work.
    Last edited by pupvogel; 2017-10-05 at 03:35.