Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Limiting sample rate to 96KHz when streaming from Qobuz

Hi,

I'm using LMS 7.9.1 and Squeezelite on Debian, connecting to an USB DAC. The USB DAC reports being able to support 24/192 but in fact it can only process up to 24/96. Adding -r 96000 works fine for playing files stored locally but when streaming Qobuz Sublime, which can stream 24/192 FLAC streams, it's still being served as 24/192 which results in complete gibberish.
    I can do a rule on custom-convert.conf in order to use sox to resample to 96KHz. This is the rule I use:
    Code:
    flc flc * *
            # IR
            [sox] -q  -t flac - -t flac -r 96000 -
    The problem with this approach is that it upsamples everything to 96KHz, including local files. What I would like to achieve is to resample to 96KHz only for streams above 96KHz and leave everything else untouched.
    Do you know of any way to do this, either on LMS or on Squeezelite?

Thanks in advance,

Nuno

I think you can put parameters on squeezelite command line giving the sample rates supported overriding DAC value - LMS will then do resampling as required. The "-r 96000 " say ONLY 96000 is supported and so resampling happens whereas "-r 44100,48000,96000" says the 3 sample rates are supported. or "-r 32000-96000" means any rates betweeen 32kHz and 96Khz are supported.
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-09-13 at 07:46.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I think you can put parameters on squeezelite command line giving the sample rates supported overriding DAC value - LMS will then do resampling as required/
    I have tried adding -r 96000 to Squeezelite but unfortunately that only works with local files, not URLs from Qobuz. So a 24/192 file is downsampled to 96KHz but a 24/192 flac streamed from Qobuz goes untouched.

P.S. - Saw your updated reply - will try and report back.
    Last edited by nunovi; 2017-09-13 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by nunovi View Post
    I have tried adding -r 96000 to Squeezelite but unfortunately that only works with local files, not URLs from Qobuz. So a 24/192 file is downsampled to 96KHz but a 24/192 flac streamed from Qobuz goes untouched.
    I would enable squeezelite logging because stream and files are all the same to Squeezelite.

I think you can put parameters on squeezelite command line giving the sample rates supported overriding DAC value - LMS will then do resampling as required. The "-r 96000 " say ONLY 96000 is supported and so resampling happens whereas "-r 44100,48000,96000" says the 3 sample rates are supported. or "-r 32000-96000" means any rates betweeen 32kHz and 96Khz are supported.
    I've tried -r 44100-96000 on Squeezelite but does the same behaviour: a local 24/192 file is downsampled to 24/96 but a 24/192 streaming flac from Qobuz goes untouched at 24/192... I believe it's likely because the player can determine the sample rate beforehand with the local file but not with the streaming file?

I would enable squeezelite logging because stream and files are all the same to Squeezelite.
    Started now squeezelite with the following parameters:

Code:
    squeezelite -r 44100-96000 -o hw:0,0 -f qobuz.log -d all=debug
    Debug file is attached. Despite Squeezelite reporting that max dac rate is 96000, it's still opening the stream at 192000 from what I understand from the log.

qobuz.log

Can you use proxieded streaming with Qubuz ?

LMS has that feature , normally with a streaming service it goes from the service directly to the player when all user selection is done for what to play .

With proxies streaming the stream goes trough LMS and then it may have a change to downsample ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Can you use proxieded streaming with Qubuz ?

LMS has that feature , normally with a streaming service it goes from the service directly to the player when all user selection is done for what to play .

With proxies streaming the stream goes trough LMS and then it may have a change to downsample ?
    Good tip... Change to proxied streaming in player settings but unfortunately same result...

Quote Originally Posted by nunovi View Post
    Good tip... Change to proxied streaming in player settings but unfortunately same result...
    Try adding "-R -u E" to the Squeezelite options - this means resample if native rate not supported.
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-09-13 at 09:21. Reason: -u Command line synatx not quite right

Try adding "-R -u E" to the Squeezelite options - this means resample if native rate not supported.
    Will try this afternoon and report back.

Thanks!

Nuno