Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saxon
    • Nov 2011

Which nas to buy??

OK I run a number of Squeezebox devices in my home and currently have an original Netgear Readynas which has been superb - unbelievably stable and reliable and currently runs 2x 2tb drives in it.

We use the server for photos, films and all sorts of other stuff as well as all my ripped flac music.

We're running out of storage on the server and this readynas cannot use drives larger than 2TB apparently.

I'm thinking of buying another NAS drive and am tempted to stick with Netgear - maybe a 212 or even 214 to give greater future proofing of capacity - I do some professional photography, models etc and so have a lot of photos to store.

I'm also open to changing brand though - perhaps Synology if people think they are significantly better.

It seems that running squeezebox server on some of the more recent NAS drives can be problematic with installs and configuration so can anybody recommend which to buy?

I guess another option might be to buy a second NAS drive and use the new one for photos and films and keep my existing readynas just for music. If I was able to move all the movies and photos from the old NAS then it's 2x 2TB drives would be more than big enough for all my future FLAC/Squeezebox requirements and as I say it seems to be a robust little unit actually.

I'd welcome thoughts from any experts!

Saxon
  • Grumpy Bob
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by saxon
    OK I run a number of Squeezebox devices in my home and currently have an original Netgear Readynas which has been superb - unbelievably stable and reliable and currently runs 2x 2tb drives in it.

We use the server for photos, films and all sorts of other stuff as well as all my ripped flac music.

We're running out of storage on the server and this readynas cannot use drives larger than 2TB apparently.

I'm thinking of buying another NAS drive and am tempted to stick with Netgear - maybe a 212 or even 214 to give greater future proofing of capacity - I do some professional photography, models etc and so have a lot of photos to store.

I'm also open to changing brand though - perhaps Synology if people think they are significantly better.

It seems that running squeezebox server on some of the more recent NAS drives can be problematic with installs and configuration so can anybody recommend which to buy?

I guess another option might be to buy a second NAS drive and use the new one for photos and films and keep my existing readynas just for music. If I was able to move all the movies and photos from the old NAS then it's 2x 2TB drives would be more than big enough for all my future FLAC/Squeezebox requirements and as I say it seems to be a robust little unit actually.

I'd welcome thoughts from any experts!

Saxon
    I'm not really in a position to recommend a NAS, as I only have experience of a QNAP (though it's been pretty much trouble free). However running LMS on the QNAP was a bit of a hassle, and some time back I went down the route of running LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 (using piCorePlayer), pointing it at the music files held on the QNAP. This is an excellent setup and I recommend it.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Stig Nygaard
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by saxon
      I recently moved from Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 to a Synology DS716+II. I was very happy with my ReadyNAS Ultra. Logitech makes official nightly LMS builds for it. Also the Intel processor gave full support for pretty much any plugins and add-ons, especially after I found out how to install IO::Socket::SSL on it.

But in the end I decided to make a switch for security reasons, because there's no SMBv2+ support on the old ReadyNAS (I have now disabled SMBv1 on all my network devices for security reasons) and the NAS doesn't receive security patches anymore. My choice was DS716+II because I have the impression Synology has a good reputation and keeps their devices updated for a long time. Again Intel processor for best possible support, and even though there are no official nightly builds for it, pinkdot had his LmsUpdate and LmsRepack projects for regularly updated nightlies. Also the of size of the NAS is perfect to fit in my CD-rack (like the readyNAS Ultra also was) ;-)

Unfortunately pinkdot ain't making new LmsUpdate/LmsRepack builds anymore, but I think there's a very good change mherger or somebody else will take over this task (If I get too desperate I might even try myself, it sounds like it shouldn't be too complicated if set up a Linux platform to do it on).

Well, just my reasoning for choosing the DS716+II. I'm sure there's very good reasons to make other choices :-)
      Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2017-09-13, 19:41.
      /Stig
      rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
      Server: LMS 8.1.1(LmsUpdate) - 1610364019 @ Jan 14 2021 on Synology DS716+II (DSM6.2+Perl5.24). Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Main HiFi: Marantz PM6005 & F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Comment

• d6jg
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
        I'm not really in a position to recommend a NAS, as I only have experience of a QNAP (though it's been pretty much trouble free). However running LMS on the QNAP was a bit of a hassle, and some time back I went down the route of running LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 (using piCorePlayer), pointing it at the music files held on the QNAP. This is an excellent setup and I recommend it.

Robert
        I agree 100% with this approach.
        Use a NAS for what it was designed for - serving files - and not as an application server (which is what LMS is).
        Get a Pi3 for LMS and point it at whatever flavour of NAS is suitable for your other needs.
        Premium brands are QNAP & Synology IMHO but anything that will serve files is now an option if you go the Pi route.

PS I can't see Michael having the time to pick up the Synology LMSrepack thing. I am pretty sure that he himself operates a Pi + NAS set up these days anyway.
        Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
        Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• mherger
          Babelfish's Best Boy
          • Apr 2005

Which nas to buy??

> PS I can't see Michael having the time to pick up the Synology LMSrepack

Unfortunately... considering the fact that our existing build systems
          are in havoc, there's no plan to add more... Need to fix what we have
          first. When I find time :-(.

> thing. I am pretty sure that he himself operates a Pi + NAS set up these
          > days anyway.

That's correct: in the office I'm using pCP on a Pi3 to serve files from
          a ReadyNAS Duo v2 (though I got Spotty working on this today :-)). At
          home I use a Linux PC for many server duties, incl. Samba and LMS.

--

Michael
          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Stig Nygaard
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by d6jg
            I agree 100% with this approach.
            I don't disagree that taking a RPi is an interesting and fine way to go...

Originally posted by d6jg
            Use a NAS for what it was designed for - serving files - and not as an application server (which is what LMS is).
            But I disagree in this. Most NAS'es are (also) made to be application servers, and are often much more powerful than a RPi. But if you are going to use your NAS as a pure network storage, buy something cheaper than the one I suggested.
            Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2017-09-13, 17:20.
            /Stig
            rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
            Server: LMS 8.1.1(LmsUpdate) - 1610364019 @ Jan 14 2021 on Synology DS716+II (DSM6.2+Perl5.24). Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Main HiFi: Marantz PM6005 & F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Comment

• meep
              • Aug 2007

Maybe a little off the wall but I use a server running unRAID for a bunch of stuff and it's great to have everything in a single box;

-Parity protected raid array supporting multiple different drive sizes (throw in whatever you have to hand)
              -Docker support for application serving (I run LMS in a docker along with a bunch of other apps)
              -Full systems under VM (I run my main Windows workstation under a VM plus a bunch of virtual HTPCs around the house and a Linux VM or 2)
              -I run my PVR system as a Docker (up to 8 sat/terrestrial tuners managed by TVHeadEnd) and leverage the storage array for recordings and a separate SSD for timeshifting.

There's very little you can think of that a sstem like this can't do and if you need a server running anyway, why not bundle everything else into it. (before you say reliability, I've been running the above on an 8 core AMD FX CPU with 32GB RAM for several years without issue.)

unRAID styles itself as a NAS OS with extra capabilities. It's cheap, is well maintained and has an amazing community.
              sigpic

ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
              Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

Squeezebox x2 | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet x2

Comment

• JohnB
                • Jul 2009

I've been running LMS on a HP MicroServer (with Ubuntu Server installed) for some years and am very happy with it, though it isn't in my listening room. I also use the Microserver for saved videos in conjunction with a Humax HDR-FOX T2 (with custom firmware).

Rather than using RAID I have a second, backup, Microserver tucked away on which I mirror the main box.

Might not suit everyone.
                Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• Stig Nygaard
                  • Feb 2006

Just got curious and did a little more searching on the subject. I'm assuming (and pretty sure?) that Logitech's current "official" nightly builds for ReadyNAS devices, doesn't work on any recent Netgear ReadyNAS models. But it actually sounds like you can install any .deb debian package on the latest ReadyNAS models as long as they are build for the right processor family, straight from the default administration web-interface without any "hacking".

Anyone knows if that is true?

If so, it would still make Netgear ReadyNAS models a very recommended choice in my head.
                  Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2017-09-13, 19:40.
                  /Stig

Comment

• mherger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

Which nas to buy??

> Just got curious and did a little more searching on the subject. I'm
                    > assuming (and pretty sure?) that Logitech's current "official" nightly
                    > builds for ReadyNAS devices, doesn't work on any recent Netgear ReadyNAS
                    > models.

I can only answer this part. And yes, that's true. The packages are only
                    compatible with ReadyNAS up to the Duo/NV v2.

--

Michael
                    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Mnyb
                      • Feb 2006

Another server hardware can be an intel nuc which I'm currently using . I used to have a HP micro server.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                      Bedroom/Office: Boom
                      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• usbethjim
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Stig Nygaard
                        Just got curious and did a little more searching on the subject. I'm assuming (and pretty sure?) that Logitech's current "official" nightly builds for ReadyNAS devices, doesn't work on any recent Netgear ReadyNAS models. But it actually sounds like you can install any .deb debian package on the latest ReadyNAS models as long as they are build for the right processor family, straight from the default administration web-interface without any "hacking".

Anyone knows if that is true?

If so, it would still make Netgear ReadyNAS models a very recommended choice in my head.
                        Maybe this will help:

I own an old ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition with 3GB RAM. I recently did an upgrade and put in 3 x 4TB drives. An unsupported upgrade to the latest ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware was recommended to me. I did the upgrade. LMS still runs but the install has an extra step. I manually upload & install the latest 7.9 "Logitech Media Server: Debian Installer Package (i386, x86_64, ARM EABI, PowerPC)" package from Michaels "official" nightly build page to the NAS. Then I have to install a ReadyNAS plug-in to be able to see the LMS install on the OS 6 gui. The plug-in is named "LMS_1.0.9_all.deb" and is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wu...ver/7.8.0?dl=0. Once that is installed on the NAS everything seems to work just dandy.

If things ever get more complicated than this I be moving the LMS install to one of the previously mentioned solutions that don't depend on NAS firmware consistency (MAC, PC, RPi) and then point back to the files on the NAS.

Good luck
                        Jim
                        All wireless (TM-AC1900) except NAS (ReadyNAS PRO - OS 6.10.3 - 3GB RAM - 3 X 4TB drives - XRAID2 - LMS 7.9.3 )
                        Squeezebox Boom - Anywhere with an AC outlet
                        Squeezebox Touch > Bose Radio - Kitchen
                        Squeezebox Touch > Hafler 100 preamp > Hafler DH-220 amp > Sima SSW-L6 EX Speaker selector= Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II - Living Room, Definitive Tech ProMonitor 100 - Dining Room, Infinity US-1 - Porch
                        Ipeng on an iPad controls everything!

Comment

Working...