Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hmmm....

[
    Do you run LMS on your NAS or do you use your LMS on your PC and the Library is on the NAS?
    Oh dear. Third attempt at posting, if this does appear 3 times I will be embarrassed. A little sleep deprived this morning, think I'm doing all sorts wrong.

1. LMS is on NAS and library is on PC browser / iPAd app.

2. But I think this is a NAS issue as the disks have been making noises as if very busy for over 24 hours and the lights have also been flashing. I can't connect to the LMS servier via port 9002 in the browser (times out). Inside the control panel of the NAS, the resource monitor tells me that the 'volume' is 100% 'utilised' I am not entirely sure I know what this means ( I can't have hit full capacity - at least I don't think I can have) . I assume this explains why the NAS is so busy and it may or may not be related to the LMS usage.

Have posted on Synology forums, but if anyone here can shed any light I would be hugely grateful.

I won't attempt a fourth reply if this one does not show up - perhaps they'll all show up at once later!

Quote Originally Posted by MattCole View Post
    2. But I think this is a NAS issue as the disks have been making noises as if very busy for over 24 hours and the lights have also been flashing

What kind of Raid Level did you use?
    Is the raid built up when the disks are empty or did you build the raid and filled it with data?

Check if all the disks are ok -> You wouldnt be the first or last with Dead on arrival on Harddisks...
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2017-09-15 at 07:02. Reason: wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    What kind of Raid Level did you use?
    Is the raid built up when the disks are empty or did you build the raid and filled it with data?

Check if all the disks are ok -> You wouldnt be the first or last with Dead on arrival on Harddisks...
    Thanks - and apologies for the multiple posting!

I have Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) with tolerance for one (out of 4 ) disk failures. I can see that I have used 5 TB of data space and I have another 5.8 left. The system tells me everything is normal and all disks are healthy.

I uninstalled LMS from the NAS (meaning I have lost the library I have built up)in the hope that that would unjam it, but no joy.

A little depressed. Hopefully Synology forum will be able to steer me right.

I think you should provide some more information: what NAS model? What CPU? What RAM? How did the scanner fail? How are your files organize?

Yes, that's a lot of questions. But without further information we'll be guessing.

For a library your size you should use an Intel based system, with quite a bit of memory (min. 2GB, rather 4GB), then set LMS' database memory usage to maximum.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I think you should provide some more information: what NAS model? What CPU? What RAM? How did the scanner fail? How are your files organize?

Yes, that's a lot of questions. But without further information we'll be guessing.

For a library your size you should use an Intel based system, with quite a bit of memory (min. 2GB, rather 4GB), then set LMS' database memory usage to maximum.
    Hi - Many thanks for that, sorry for very slow reply...

Re your questions:

NAS Synology DS14+ with 4 x 4 TB disks in Synology RAID, disks are WD40EFRX 68WTONO

CPU Intel Atom D2700

RAM 1024 MB (total physical memory?)

Scanner failed - hard to say, but after a certain point, having loaded music files incrementally, the NAS disks sounded permanently busy, its lights flashed continually and I codl not log into the library on the NAS via the relevant port (9002). At the same time the NAS told me its volume was at 100% utilisation, although at the same time it told me that it was working well and that only 47% of availabe storage space had been used. I am still not clear what a 'Volume' is in NAS terminology...

Files Organised in my NAS music folder, in various folders. I have been creating folders o hold 5-20,000 music files and then adding these incrementally to the main fodler that I 'point' the LMS at so as not to overwhelm it with new files each time....

Update: I stopped the LMS on the NAS and then uninstalled. Usage monitor in NAS quickly told me I was back to normal.

Big clue there I guess. What is my next step, do you think? Buy in some more RAM?

Sorry - can you tell me how to 'set LMS database memory usage to maximum'?

Hope the thread is still active - sorry for being so slow getting back...

Are you saying you have folders with 20k tracks in them? That can work, but certainly isn't a good idea. LMS does apply some logic in an attempt to group albums which are poorly tagged. And albums in a folder are part of that logic.

1GB of memory certainly isn't much for a collection this size. I'd suggest you add some RAM (if possible...). Then go to Settings/Advanced/Performance. There's a parameter to configure the amount of memory the database is allowed to use. I know that for 50k+ the maximum setting can improve performance a lot.

And try to get a copy of the server.log and scanner.log files (see Settings/Information).
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

Are there one folder per album ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Are there one folder per album ? I mean in these 20k track folders do you have subfoldrs for artists and albums ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Are you saying you have folders with 20k tracks in them? That can work, but certainly isn't a good idea. LMS does apply some logic in an attempt to group albums which are poorly tagged. And albums in a folder are part of that logic.

1GB of memory certainly isn't much for a collection this size. I'd suggest you add some RAM (if possible...). Then go to Settings/Advanced/Performance. There's a parameter to configure the amount of memory the database is allowed to use. I know that for 50k+ the maximum setting can improve performance a lot.

And try to get a copy of the server.log and scanner.log files (see Settings/Information).
    Thanks Michael, very much appreciated.

I don't think (though will check again) that the 412+ model can have more RAM, but I'm not sure as I say

Will definitely check out those settings to beef up performance

Re logs, think these will have been wiped clean since I uninstalled the LMS from the NAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Are there one folder per album ? I mean in these 20k track folders do you have subfoldrs for artists and albums ?
    Thanks Mnyb - pretty much, yes. Though there are so many files I can't guarantee how each one is organised. What is the best way?