Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LMS Scanning Issue - increments possible?

Hi , first post here and pretty non techy, so hope you can bear with me.

I have a Synology NAS drive running LMS Media Server. I am trying to populate the LMS database with the truly massive (over 250,000 tracks) music library I have on the NAS.

Is it possible to upload chunks of files in separate folders in increments - ie say in folders of 20,000 tracks or so, folder by folder, all the while building on what went before? At the moment I can only load up a folder, then rescan, hoping to ADD the new tracks to what I previously scanned, only to find that it deletes the old ones and adds only the new ones.

Is there a setting / way round this for incremental build up of files?

Help much appreciated!

Chose "scan for new and changed" next time instead of rescan everything.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Do you change the music folder setting gs between scans ?

Newer lms versions can have more than one folder .

Or you could just add in subfolders to your main music folder.

How long does it take ? Scan overnigth is an option ?
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Many thanks, both - and sorry to be so slow getting back.. Thought I had an email alert set up for replies, turns out I didn't...

I've seen these options and the rescan only new files option works.

But when I do it it still spends a some time 'discovering' files and folders that are already in the library ( 18 mins for 42,000 files last scan) rather than going straight to the new increment of files that I have just added. Since I know there is nothing new in the old batch, is there any way of telling it only to add the new files while at the same time keeping what it as already imported? If that makes any sense....

Quote Originally Posted by MattCole View Post
    is there any way of telling it only to add the new files while at the same time keeping what it as already imported? If that makes any sense....
    That depends on your workflow and your OS..

I wrote a script (4 *ux / Debian) that gets my new added files into a playlist named newstuff.m3u and after the playlist is filles the rescan for playlist runs.
    Now the files in the playlist where added to the library - thats all.

cheers

Many thanks, both - and sorry to be so slow getting back.. Thought I had an email alert set up for replies, turns out I didn't...

I've seen these options and the rescan only new files option works.

But when I do it it still spends a some time 'discovering' files and folders that are already in the library ( 18 mins for 42,000 files last scan) rather than going straight to the new increment of files that I have just added. Since I know there is nothing new in the old batch, is there any way of telling it only to add the new files while at the same time keeping what it as already imported? If that makes any sense....
    It actually does that but it recheckes to see if the old files are still there "discovering" it does the complete scan when it finds new files . This "discovery" phase is actually finding what's new and then LMS scan those files .

Another workflow would be to add a lot of stuff then scan while your at work or at sleep .
    It's a transient problem when the bulk of your library is scanned you only add small batches anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    It actually does that but it recheckes to see if the old files are still there "discovering" it does the complete scan when it finds new files . This "discovery" phase is actually finding what's new and then LMS scan those files .

Another workflow would be to add a lot of stuff then scan while your at work or at sleep .
    It's a transient problem when the bulk of your library is scanned you only add small batches anyway .
    Thanks again - much appreciated.

Just one other thing . I've noticed that the discovery phase is getting substantially longer each time, even though the same amount of new files are added each time. Is there a negative impact on the speed of my constantly re-scanning with batches of new files like this? Or is this more likely to be down to other factors (my PC / NAS being in use at the same time)?

Just one other thing . I've noticed that the discovery phase is getting substantially longer each time, even though the same amount of new files are added each time. Is there a negative impact on the speed of my constantly re-scanning with batches of new files like this? Or is this more likely to be down to other factors (my PC / NAS being in use at the same time)?
    Hmmm....

[OT]
    After the Harddisk from my good old Pentuim 1.8 Gh/z powered lms Server broke i couldnt get (in Time) a 1TB WD Black in 2.5" the shop only had 3.5" in stock (that didnt fit into the old System) - so i decided to opt for a "new" (my former PC with an 3.40GHz i7) with an ssd for the OS and a 3.5" Disk for the Data to act as my new LMS Server.

My Library and the setup is exactly the same - the former 1.8 GHz Server scanned the 78000 Tracks in 2.5 Hours - the I7 only needs 37 mins.
    Since the former PC had 2 GB and the new 4 GB but never uses more than 2 GB - i am not sure if the more Ram also makes a difference or it all about the Processor that speeds the scan up. The SSD (for the OS and the LMS DB) for sure (already tested that) was a huge speedup.

[/OT]

You have to trial this out yourself.
    If you adding something to nothing the next id for the album is the next aviable dito with genre or artist. If you add something to something -> each album; artist;genre had to be checked in the DB if its already used. But that shouldnt count too long.

Do you run LMS on your NAS or do you use your LMS on your PC and the Library is on the NAS?

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hmmm....

Do you run LMS on your NAS or do you use your LMS on your PC and the Library is on the NAS?
    I run the LMS on the NAS and the library from my PC browser / iPad app.

A new development. I think this is all down the the NAS. I now cannot connect in the browser to the LMS sa it times out. The NAS disks and lights have been churning away as if busy for over 24 hours. In the NAS resource monitor it says, among other things. that 'Volume' (which I am pretty sure is NOT storage capacity) is 100% utilised. I have posted on the Synology forums - but if anyone here can shed any light on what this means I'd be hugely grateful!

Sorry thought I had replied to this, apologies if it appears twice.

I am using LMS on the NAS, and the library is via browser in pc/ app in iPad.

I think this is an issue with the NAS, as this have been churning away noisily with lights blinking for over 24 hours, even though the LMS library (when I can finally get it to appear, sooo slow) tells me it is no longer scanning.

In the NAS resource monitor it says 'Volume' ( which I don't think it storage capacity) is at 100% utilisation (as if it were a process not a fixed measurement), and I suspect that this has something to do with the speed issue. It may or may not be related to the LMS activity.

I have posted on the Synology forum, but if anyone here can shed light I'd be hugely grateful!

Cheers